New Apple Laptop or Dell, Hp...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #16
Okay I got my retina MBP in this morning. 2.7ghz/512gb ssd/16gb ram.

I just ran Cinebench on it and got:
OpenGL: 39.21
CPU: 6.86

I ran the OpenGL test a few times, in each scaled mode and the score never really changed (other than normal fluctuations you'd expect by repeating the test in the same mode), however the Cinebench OpenGL window was definitely scaling during changing these modes, so it seems like it was rendering the same amount of pixels.

I can benchmark other things later.

Old 06 June 2012   #17
Originally Posted by tuna: Okay I got my retina MBP in this morning. 2.7ghz/512gb ssd/16gb ram.

Did you pick it up in-store? Man if the stores are carrying the 2.7/512/16gb configurations I'll swoop by my local store and see if they have them. Store rep said the only 2.7/16gb config they had in store was the maxed version with 768gb SSD so I ordered online.

Old 06 June 2012   #18
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: Did you pick it up in-store? Man if the stores are carrying the 2.7/512/16gb configurations I'll swoop by my local store and see if they have them. Store rep said the only 2.7/16gb config they had in store was the maxed version with 768gb SSD so I ordered online.

No, this is a BTO option I ordered this online a few hours after the store came back online. Shipping was a lot quicker than I thought it would be.

Old 06 June 2012   #19
Originally Posted by CKPinson: The only thing is the GPU included Intel HD 4000 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. is that any good for Maya, Mud, etc? The Dell with IPS comes with Quadro options up to 2000 series.

Yeah, if they offer a 3D GPU it'd be pretty sweet. Here's my Cinebench results for the old M6500
Attached Images
File Type: png cinebench.png (48.9 KB, 24 views)

Old 06 June 2012   #20
Quote: Yeah, if they offer a 3D GPU it'd be pretty sweet.

You mean a 3D screen no?

39fps for a 650 is not much but acceptable for a middle class card.

Old 06 June 2012   #21
I've been messing around with Maya/Houdini/Modo on this thing.

They all definitely need updates to work nicely with the Retina display, this is mostly predictable interface issues with the new resolution. You pretty much have to run it on the "looks like" 1920x1200 option for their interfaces to shrink down to a reasonable size. Houdini is nice in this regard, because it lets you scale its interface in the preferences.

As far as performance, Modo and Houdini are working as expected with this card. Quite well in fact. Modo seems to be stuck at a bit of a hard-cap at 60fps no matter if I'm moving around 8polygons or 1.1million. [edit: this is vsync capping it at this rate]

Maya, however, has some problems with performance right now. I'm getting 20fps just moving a polygon cube around the viewport and it gets slower the more you add. Maybe some sort of setting or driver or conflict with the super high resolution screen in general.

I am going to try running the same things through just an HDMI supplied 1920x1200 external monitor to see what happens! However I don't have the correct HDMI cord right now to test with, so I'll get back to you on that.

Last edited by tuna : 06 June 2012 at 06:03 AM.

Old 06 June 2012   #22
Originally Posted by evilhead: Yeah, if they offer a 3D GPU it'd be pretty sweet. Here's my Cinebench results for the old M6500

a 3D GPU isn't a concern on OS X, where there is a single OpenGL stack and pro apps are supported on the Radeons. Where you might get problems on a mobile gaming card with Maya, modo, Mudbox, it works flawlessly on the MacBook Pros. I have been doing 3D on Mac laptops forever and the 17" MBP I'm on is great for 3D.

But ya, I'd be a little nervous about retina displays in 3D apps for until they can address the issues. The good news at least, is that Nvidia and Apple don't ignore pro app issues on the Geforce 650M, like they might on Windows.

Last edited by cgbeige : 06 June 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #23
WOW thanx Tuna- sucks about Maya though- planning on trying any sculpt apps?

Old 06 June 2012   #24
I will be trying zbrush out tonight when I get home.

Old 06 June 2012   #25
Tuna did you grab the update for the RMBP? I noticed Apple released an update which appears to include a new revision of the OSX graphics drivers which is reported to increase graphics performance. A few people were reporting scrolling slow-downs in Safari and post update they said it was fixed.

Old 06 June 2012   #26
Yeah as soon as I turned the thing on there was a 1.4gb update for it. Checking for updates right now says I'm all up to date. Perhaps Mountain Lion will offer a few more optimizations.

Just gave ZBrush a quick try and it seems to work absolutely fine as it's mostly a CPU based program.

Things are generally a little slower in the 1920x1200 mode overall. When applications are updated to recognize whatever the standard retina mode is, then we shouldn't have to use this huge scaling mode any more and things will be snappy once again. In the regular, non-scaled mode, it is really snappy and nice. For the most part, most not-updated applications aren't too bad with it, but 3d apps suffer pretty badly in that it reduces the effective resolution of those applications and its like using a tiny little low-res monitor for some reason, until you turn on the scaling mode.

Last edited by tuna : 06 June 2012 at 04:48 AM.

Old 06 June 2012   #27
There's a few updates on getting zero scale working @ 2880x1800 over on Anandtech. It actually looks quite usable too though Windows 8 needed to turn up the DPI scaling a bit for text while OSX looked pretty crisp with zero scale.

Old 06 June 2012   #28
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: There's a few updates on getting zero scale working @ 2880x1800 over on Anandtech. It actually looks quite usable too though Windows 8 needed to turn up the DPI scaling a bit for text while OSX looked pretty crisp with zero scale.

Yep I was using that all lastnight. It's faster than running in HiDPI mode of course (because its actually rendering 2880x1800 instead of 3840x1800) so things in that mode are nice and snappy and super duper crisp, but text is about 3mm tall. OSX doesn't have a way of scaling up text globally so this isn't the best mode for everything, but its definitely a good stop-gap method. It's actually quite nice in 3d apps.

I will install Windows this weekend and test it with the high DPI scale, it might be perfect (but I sort of want to use OSX).

Old 06 June 2012   #29
ZBrush wouldn't have any problems for sure. The GPU is never used. Wonder about Mudbox though.

Old 06 June 2012   #30
OK seriously- What is a good laptop for CG work, Maya, Mud, maybe MARI, PS obviously, Sketchbook... want at least a great display if not IPS, good batterylife- don't really care too much about weight- prefer 15-16 inch for portability but if there's a 17 inch that can justify the upgrade then so beit- Just been boiling it over and don't think the Apple will cut it=-

The Dells sound interesting, especially since they have an IPS (
15.6" UltraSharp™ FHD(1920x1080) PremierColor IPS RGB Anti-Glare LED-backlit Premium Panel,17.3" UltraSharp™ FHD(1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit with Premium Panel Guarantee, or 17.3" UltraSharp™ FHD(1920x1080) Wide View LED Multi-Touch w/Stylus, Premium Panel Guarantee) Not sure about the Multitouch stylus options though= since I'll be using Intuos5 Tablet anyways.

Please guys- About to be going on a few trips and have been feeling the creativity bug and wanna take the advantage of it. (Kids drain you LOL)

Thread Closed share thread