Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Graphixx
portfolio
- -
-
-, AU

Maya: Viewport Performance Problem!

Hey folks!

I've got a big problem during modelling processes in Maya. The more detail I bring into the scene, the more the navigation in the viewport is jerking and kind of freezing. Does this depend on the graphic-card or memory?

The strange thing is, I've tested the scene on other computers with lower performance and lower hardware components, and there was no freezing oder jerking at all! :/

I use a more or less new and powerful desktop pc: windows 7 64bit, i7 processor, gtx 570, 12GB memory.

Does anybody have any clue, how to solve this problem? Has anybody experienced the same problem or simliar troubles like this? Thx for your answers and support!

nice greets

Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Pandusen
PRO
Martin Hinrichsen
Copenhagen, Denmark

GTX 4xx and 5xx series are cripled in openGl. GTX 285 and older cards performs much better in Maya. and Quadro cards of cause. turning 2 sided light of in the viewport helps a great deal!

Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Graphixx
portfolio
- -
-
-, AU

thx for replie!

well,... seems like i've got a graphic-card problem ... could you recommend andy specific quadro-card?

nice greets

Old 01-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
ChukChuk
Frequenter
portfolio
Chuk Chuk
United Kingdom

Unless you needed it immediately you may want to consider waiting a bit for there new series to come out.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
emc3346
portfolio
Eric
Poughkeepsie, USA

how soon would a new series be out?

Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
BoostAbuse
slerping quaternions

John Appleseed
Zimbabwe

How dense is the mesh you're trying to work with? Having used both the 4xx and 5xx cards inside of Maya I have to argue against the poster above who said their performance is crippled in OpenGL. I'd check to make sure your drivers are up to date and there are no other conflicts on the system (check your pen/tablet settings to make sure the annoying click widget interface isn't enabled). The viewport is going to be constrained by the video memory you have but unless you're attempting to chuck a billion polygons at the card it shouldn't lag or freeze.

I run some rather large scenes on my 2gb GTX580M and my 1.5gb 580 at home is able to eat large scenes as well. VP2 expands the ceiling even more as it excels at maximizing the GPU power for large static scenes. A co-worker has a 570 and doesn't seem to have the freezing/lag issues from what he's said.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Pandusen
PRO
Martin Hinrichsen
Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse
How dense is the mesh you're trying to work with? Having used both the 4xx and 5xx cards inside of Maya I have to argue against the poster above who said their performance is crippled in OpenGL. I'd check to make sure your drivers are up to date and there are no other conflicts on the system (check your pen/tablet settings to make sure the annoying click widget interface isn't enabled). The viewport is going to be constrained by the video memory you have but unless you're attempting to chuck a billion polygons at the card it shouldn't lag or freeze.

I run some rather large scenes on my 2gb GTX580M and my 1.5gb 580 at home is able to eat large scenes as well. VP2 expands the ceiling even more as it excels at maximizing the GPU power for large static scenes. A co-worker has a 570 and doesn't seem to have the freezing/lag issues from what he's said.

Well i am currently on a 570 as well, and it lags at about 4-500.000 polys. my old GTX285 had no problems what so ever with scenes of 3-4.000.000 polys. My 570 is about 5-6 times slower. and it screws up geometry and crashes when it has to pixelread. (readback from GPU) The Quadro 5000 i use at work, throws around scenes with over 30million polys with no problem at all! My friends 580 card has the same issue. it can handle around half a million polys and then starts to slow down to about 5-6 fps in viewport.. that is really really pore performance! In directX they easily handle 40 million polygons. i would say they are very crippled! nvidia them selves even say that there are issues in maya with these cards.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
ChukChuk
Frequenter
portfolio
Chuk Chuk
United Kingdom

Sorry emc3346 only notice your reply now. It's mainly rumours but they will probably bring out there flagship card around February to compete with AMDs new card.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
tozger
The Dude Abides
portfolio
Timucin Ozger
FX TD
Platige Image
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via MSN to tozger
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxLupi
GTX 4xx and 5xx series are cripled in openGl. GTX 285 and older cards performs much better in Maya. and Quadro cards of cause. turning 2 sided light of in the viewport helps a great deal!

I would agree on that also same scene and very similar hardware test I did on both HD4850 Radeon and GTX560 results below.

Scene 4.5 mil polies but not just a subdivided sphere, an actual scene with instances and loads of shaders no textures.. Animated Camera

Default Viewport
HD4850 512MB 20-25 FPS
GTX560 1GB 1-2 FPS

Viewport 2
both around 60 GTX slightly faster,

There are a lot complains about this issue. Since then I upgraded to 7950 3GB and I never regretted and now this card is supported by Mari as well.
vimeo.com/user7844693

Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread