New model of Cintiq alternative looks promising?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by ambient-whisper: that's why they make drivers for on any tablet pc you have calibration tools as well.
perhaps they could have presets for the device for popular monitors. its not too far fetched.

I would think it should work on any display that is completely flat, so most tablet PC's should work. It's possible at the moment that it's specifically engineered for the Apple displays, but I don't see why they couldn't have a calibration tool for other displays where you would touch the pen to points on the screen and it would adjust its settings. And again, that'd only work if the entire screen is flat since the sensors clip onto the corners.

01 January 2013
Well I gave it a go and had nothing but trouble with it. They sent me 3 replacements, all 3 had something wrong with them. After that I asked for a refund and suddenly they don't reply anymore. Ok its only 500€ here but still, it's 500€ wasted. Just my 2 cents

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by StijnVanDoorselaere: Well I gave it a go and had nothing but trouble with it. They sent me 3 replacements, all 3 had something wrong with them. After that I asked for a refund and suddenly they don't reply anymore. Ok its only 500€ here but still, it's 500€ wasted. Just my 2 cents

This doesn't sound good. :(

What kind of problems were you having with it?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: This doesn't sound good. :(

What kind of problems were you having with it?

Well, I had serious callibration issues. It only worked on the x-axis. They kept telling me the problem was with my pc, until I reached the point I tried it on a fresh Windows install and still didn't work they were willing to admit it was a hardware issue. Another one had all kinds of dust behind the screen. And I mean in all kinds of sizes all over the screen. Once I got one that fairly worked it still was hard to calibrate decently and on top of that they don't work well with Photoshop.
After all that I was sooo p*ssed I bought a used Cintiq 21UX 2010 and I haven't regretted it for a second. I was lucky to find one dirt cheap (2 months old, barely used and payed 800€ for it) but I still think it's worth its money.
I do agree that Wacom needs some good competition but in my experience, the Yiynova MSP19 isn't even close yet.

01 January 2013
Software/drivers are part of that price tag. Was afraid of this sort of thing.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by StijnVanDoorselaere: I do agree that Wacom needs some good competition but in my experience, the Yiynova MSP19 isn't even close yet.

Just to be clear, are you talking about the MSP19 or the MSP19U?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Ordibble-Plop: Just to be clear, are you talking about the MSP19 or the MSP19U?

I'm talking about the MSP19. Can't say for the MSP19U, but I'm definitely not going to try again :P

01 January 2013
Has anyone tried the Bosto Kingtee 19MA or Bosto Kingtee 14WA?

They're $600-$700 US and videos online show no pen jitter like the Wacom has and about the same screen quality as the non-multi touch ones or better.

From what I saw, the Yiynova tablets are great except for that pen slight jitter, the lack of any buttons and the $300 model's screen get really dark unless you look at it right from above. I'm really looking to buy a tablet with programmable buttons and the Bosto Kingtee ones are the only alternative to Cintiq I could find (outside of $1000+ laptops which won't run apps as fast as my computer already can).

For some reason, I can't see many Bosto Kingtee reviews or videos, but so far everyone only mentions drivers and user error as issues and nothing else (I read about problems under Windows 8 and what not but having to use Win 7 in order to save thousands of dollars is OK with me. The other issues are generally with people not knowing how to install/uninstall drivers or use calibration software, the hardware seems solid).

Has anybody tried these? They seem exactly the same as the Yiynova tablets but with programmable buttons, a nicer design and no jitter problems, I'm just afraid to buy one yet.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by iSOBigD: Has anybody tried these? They seem exactly the same as the Yiynova tablets but with programmable buttons, a nicer design and no jitter problems, I'm just afraid to buy one yet.

It's worth pointing out that there are no Mac drivers for the Kingtee, whereas Yiynova supports Mac. Also the latest Yiynova model (with the U suffix) fixed the pen jitter problem. Although I agree it's sad that Yiynova has no programmable hot keys on the side.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by StijnVanDoorselaere: I'm talking about the MSP19. Can't say for the MSP19U, but I'm definitely not going to try again :P

That's too bad, the MSP19U fixed all those issues that the MSP19 has.

01 January 2013
I can't say I blame him tho for not wanting to try again- sounds like the customer service was non-existent. It's like with cars, you will always come across at least one person who has been burned by a certain manufacturer-er and yet another person who stands by that very brand.

I'm still in the Wacom club but wish they had a display version that was wireless, light and portable such as with the Lenovo monitors coming out. But they have weak pressure sensitivity.

01 January 2013
Quote: From what I saw, the Yiynova tablets are great except for that pen slight jitter

The MSP19U tablets don't have any pen jitter, except at the very edges (~5-7mm) of the screen and in the corners. I ordered mine from yiynova.eu (Netherlands) and have only positive things to report so far. It was delivered very quickly, the software installation took less than 5 minutes and then it just worked (tested in Photoshop, ArtRage and Sketchbook). There is only very minimial lag and it seems to depend more on the software that you use and your CPU rather than on anything else (I had some minor but noticable lag in ArtRage while none in Sketchbook and only very little in Photoshop - it may depend on the document size and the brush, though; I was mostly sketching with a small brush).

I miss the ability to map pen buttons to keyboard actions and need to press much harder with the pen than on my Intuos 3 to achieve the same line quality, but none of that is a deal breaker.

Nevertheless, despite being a fine device, I will probably try to return it for a full refund. I would like to stress that the reason for it isn't any fault with the tablet, but the fact that I simply cannot deal with the cursor parallax. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast and Cintiqs suffer from the same limitation. However, if you can deal with the parallax and are on the verge of whether you should get the MSP19U or not, my advice would be: go for it!

01 January 2013
Here is the Yiynova DP10 10.1" in use:

It isn't a review and just shows me testing and playing with it in ZBrush.

01 January 2013
This also sounds promising. They say it has a pointer supporting 1024 pressure levels, and with a Core processor and 8gb of ram it would be powerful enough to move any demanding software.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by SpAiK: This also sounds promising. They say it has a pointer supporting 1024 pressure levels, and with a Core processor and 8gb of ram it would be powerful enough to move any demanding software.

The top-model is 1,599 Dollars apparently. With Core i7 / 8GB DDR3 / 128 GB SSD.

What I don't like: The screen is only 10" - way too small, even though it is Full 1920 x 1200 HD resolution - and the company says nothing about what kind of graphics GPU the device has.

It probably has on-board Intel GFX only...

The best thing to do is probably to wait a few months before buying something like this.

During that time, many new hybrid touch screen/stylus based tablet/notebooks will probably come out.

Now that Samsung is advertising its Galaxy Note stylus-tablets everywhere, and selling good numbers, more manufacturers will probably jump on the stylus-tablet and stylus-notebook bandwagon.

Thread Closed share thread