CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > NVArt Competitions > NVArt - Amazing Creations
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
aadams
Frequenter

freedom and limitation

Old 12-04-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
nikosX
Veteran
portfolio
Nikos Xidaktilos
animator
Monologue
Athens, Greece

I find this one quite interesting. Some feedback would be nice.

Well done

Old 12-04-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
wild-brendan
Frequenter

portfolio
Brendan Wilding
Student
Australia

Exclamation

Starting to get sick of the same images over and over. Although this competition has unlimited entries, quality always comes before quantity, at least in art. But maybe I'm wrong - if you spam enough of these images you might just win.

Maybe some more meaning in the images would be better.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
aadams
Frequenter

Exclamation

First off NikosX....thanks you! means alot to me!

hi brendan.

I have been working on my style for a little while now and I dont see them as the same...

but I can relate....after all aometimes I feel the same way about alot of fractal art and alot of computer illustration....and alot of computer rendering....but I am more focused right now on making my work....not posting about how there is not enough "art" in computer graphics.

...I didnt know that this contest was happening this year....I just started making my work because I enjoy it....and yes...I do make other types of work...but my commitment until the 25th of december will be fractal based...

ALSO...I looked at many of the abstracts and I felt that fractals were not getting enough representation....and I will contribute to my hearts content...and if you dont have any structural critique to give me....what can I do??? Roll over when you or someone else tells me? NOT....not my style...abstract expresionists dont work like that...in the traditional or the digital sense.

ALSO...I am not trying to win...but I am going to represent a new direction in fractal art.

you cant make and send work in for the prize...you make it and you send it because that is how you feel comfortable representing yourself.

for me that means that my images are representing the investigation of the algorithmic language...and how kinetic motion can be inspired thru pattern in the still image.

and if you dont like it that is ok alot of people didnt like rock and roll when it first emerged as an artform...and alot of people didnt like hip-hop as an artform...but I am still going to work on mastering my craft and exhibiting my results....

now....if you dont like the way I make my abstracts....you could show me a better way by exhibiting your own efforts or by looking at a piece and critiquing exactly what you dont like...I will be happy to absorb your efforts.

respectfully,

adekoye

P.S...

seriously: this is a contest and exhibition to exhibit the non narrative....its dedicated to abstraction.....my work looks abstract and open to interpretation to me....therefore I am going to keep up with the submissions.

and if the visuals bother you...you really dont have to look at any of my threads...there are lots of other really really talented users contributing to this GREAT contest.

THANK YOU NVIDIA

THANK YOU CGTALK.

Last edited by aadams : 12-04-2007 at 01:44 AM.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
aadams
Frequenter

Arrow

Also another thing Brendan...

I am not spamming.

I just make what I think is beautiful and I contribute it...If I outpace others because of my proceduralist attitude...that doesnt mean I am spamming...it means that other users LIKE yourself *could* step it up a knotch and lay on more contributions...

of what you aspire to see in the abstract of computer art.

I LOVE this contest.

I HOPE THEY MAKE A BOOK.

because I would love to see my work in THAT book.

I am going to give them more compositions to shake a stick at...and if you guys dont like it...tell me why specifically to the piece...and if you do tell me and I will say thanks a million times over.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
wild-brendan
Frequenter

portfolio
Brendan Wilding
Student
Australia

Arrow

The problem that I have with your submitted works is they're too abstract and have no meaning. I don't understand how the titles of you pieces relate to the pieces them selves. Sure, this comp is about computer generated, but this doesn't mean submissions should only be interpreted as a mathematical algorithm, rather it should represent or mean something, as shown in other's submissions.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Koev8111
Frequenter

portfolio
Nikolay Koev
http://3dkoev-design.net46.net/
Bulgaria

Send a message via ICQ to Koev8111
I like auor images

super image

Who is the software where you create fractals?
Notepade sourse or other soft ... ?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
aadams
Frequenter

Exclamation

brendan the problem is better stated as they dont mean enough to *you*...but YOU didnt make them...(btwa...i have a policy...I would like to see your work...nothing personal...but it would give me a better perspective on your words...)....but they have PLENTY of meaning for other users who see value in this type of work...

but again I understand...because if you zbrush a demon holding and beauty model chick...and everything is *beautifully* proportioned and the gesture is fluid...this HAS NO ARTISTIC meaning to me....beyond decorative and production aethetics.

AND I can name them WHATEVER I want...after all I am the maker...and usually its about something that has inspired me.

and I like making abstracted fields of color...after all...you are a student, right? go check some art history books...

not all computer art has to be narrative...nor symbolic...nor realistic...and not all of it you have to like...so I say this:

If you dont like it : BE POSITIVE AND MAKE SOMETHING THAT SHEDS A GREATER LIGHT TO THE ABSTRACT!

dont just sit there and tell a user what you dont like in general about their work!

dont use the old "your going to win because you are spamming the forum with you work" snivel sniff sniff

go make art to contribute to this great competition and prove other user wrong....not by a meaningless critique(your art is TOO abstract is has no meaning)LOL...look man I said from the start my visuals are open to interpretation...its one of the core PRINCIPLES of abstraction....

go make what YOU think abstract computer art should be about...rather than find fault in my compositions...

If there is a technical fault...bad color...bad design...bad composition...then we have conversation...

but if you dont like it because "it doesnt mean enough to you"

its like when you do see something you like....its because its "pretty"

or it tells the "story" you want to hear....LOLOLOLOLOLO

Old 12-04-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
Qual
Frequenter
portfolio
A L
Breda, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_brendan
The problem that I have with your submitted works is they're too abstract and have no meaning. I don't understand how the titles of you pieces relate to the pieces them selves. Sure, this comp is about computer generated, but this doesn't mean submissions should only be interpreted as a mathematical algorithm, rather it should represent or mean something, as shown in other's submissions.

You are not the only 1 who thinks like you
I 100% agree with you, most image have no story or no meaning.

city of war
(stopped rip)

Old 12-05-2007, 01:31 AM   #10
aadams
Frequenter

Exclamation

yeah but they fall into the context of the cover art for the contest.....are you saying the cover art for the contest has a story and a meaning?

or is it the organic presentation of some liquids and fluids and metaballs interacting?

not all abstract computer work needs to depend on 3d perspective tricks...like shading...depth of field...len flares and glows

BTWA

the first work in your portfolio is interesting...the rest seem to be in class projects...and while they suggest a story...well they arent really my cup of tea...but they are you efforts...and they seem to be sincere ones at that.
and please continue...because I read nothing of a requirement in the contest stating that these works had to have story or a unified collective meaning...

Old 12-05-2007, 01:32 AM   #11
aadams
Frequenter

koev

its apophysis...and they tlook cool large scale...just investigate color field theory

Old 12-05-2007, 02:13 AM   #12
wild-brendan
Frequenter

portfolio
Brendan Wilding
Student
Australia

Of course the image doesn't have to have a story or meaning, but it defiantly helps. I could simply send in a random fractal noise with a million different photoshop filters put on it and sure it would meet the criteria of the comp, and if I pumped them out enough times I might get a good result. But the image has no meaning and will do poorly (this sums up your efforts so far).

If you look at other entries in the comp you can see that the ones that represent something - even if they are abstract, have far more discussion in their threads, even if it constructive comments.

Don't go analyzing Qualize's works, this is a thread about your stuff and how to improve it - focus on that. I really don't want to make this a war-of-words but I don't think you know how to take constructive criticism.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:06 AM   #13
aadams
Frequenter

*look*

go research jackson pollock and color field theory....try talking crap about how the names of pollock's paintings didnt have enough story in the actual work.

"I could simply send in a random fractal noise with a million different photoshop filters put on it and sure it would meet the criteria of the comp, and if I pumped them out enough times I might get a good result. But the image has no meaning and will do poorly (this sums up your efforts so far)."

that is not random fractal noise...

no photoshop filters used....NOT ONE.

THAT IS CHAOS UNDER MY DIRECT CONTROL.

that is your opinion...and I see nothing constructive about that criticism.

as in :

From the planet I come from constructive criticism offers solutions to problems seen...and the good is seen with the bad...as in its balanced.

your points are taken...this time offensively...but taken.

but it would *really* help me as a creative to see where your work was in this...and if you dont have any to show me...via links/urls...then maybe links to entries on this thread....and if I choose to take a different path....who cares.....its like what you wanna be a judge?

also:

nikosx seemed to enjoy it.

koev8111 really enjoyed it.

and you really shouldnt tell people what to analyze and not analyze on the critique of their work....not in my opinion...

as far as the discussions go the paintings have been up for two days...

I dont mind conversating with users about my work...and I think defending one's creative efforts is part of the dialogue...but you have kinda offended me...brendan...

a) you dont inquire to the process...and how it might differ from other procedures.

b) you hound me for following my vision...yet if you dont like the composition or the metaphor...you offer no clear solution.

c) no links to your work...so that I can see where the "creative" criticism is coming from....again no urls...no portfolio...in *this* circumstance your work would speak alot louder than words.

d) in the last post you insulted my efforts as poor....as if you have the talent or the grace or the prestige to speak for an entire community...that is your opinion...and I would never say that to anyone...if even chicken scratch or poser figures were sent it as part of a competition.

that aint cool and its no way to communicate with another user.

you dont seem to know alot about algorithmic work...that is ok...I am not here to please you...I am here to submit my work...so if you aint got much else to say....

why dont you find some other user to dialogue with and leave me and my creative efforts alone.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:14 AM   #14
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Hi aadams,

Take heart. Art that manages to draw a reaction, any reaction (positive or otherwise), has achieved a purpose: To be noticed. Hey, It's better than being glossed over!

I like your piece, btw. ;-)

Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
aadams
Frequenter

thank your mustard seed.

I am working on stuff but there is a problem with the upload system

Thread Closed share thread