FAQ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2007
Post Faq

Why must entrants be members of CGTalk or CGSociety?

We need to be able to contact all entrants -- we have one registration system. This also means that all competition entrants are covered by the same set of Terms and Conditions.

Do I have to submit an image in the 2560 x 1600 size?

Yes.

What if I want to do a different aspect image?

You can fill it out to 2560 x 1600 with black borders.

Why do entrants have to be 18 or older?

Prizes include travel packages that need to be sent to a person 18 years or older. There are also restrictions on minors entering competitions in some countries, so it’s only fair to apply the same age restriction to the whole world.

Are there any work in progress uploads?

No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of Jan 7th 2008.

Can NVIDIA use my art for marketing without asking me?

No. NVIDIA can only use your art as part of gallery, wallpaper or other collections of similar images with your full credits attached. If NVIDIA want to use your work in some other way they will have to contact you directly to get your permission.

Do I still own my entry?

Yes. The copyright to your image is yours. The only uses Ballistic and NVIDIA have right to are those outlined in the rules.

Why must entrants grant Ballistic Media and sponsor (NVIDIA) first right to publish their submitted work in any media?

NVIDIA are the sole sponsors of this competition and have requested this to prevent any unscruplus competitor trying to exploit entrants work. We agree that it would not be fair to let some competitor benefit from NVIDIA’s sponsorship of this competition. This is why we agreed to this restriction in running this competition – it’s fair.

*salmonmoose says:* Try to keep images under 2 megs, compressing them with something other than Photoshop will help, as will using a lower compression setting, there is no need for 100% quality when compressing JPEG files.

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.

Last edited by salmonmoose : 11 November 2007 at 11:13 PM.

10 October 2007
According to the requirements, does that mean the work can also be abstract?

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by erilaz: According to the requirements, does that mean the work can also be abstract?

"We want to see images that capture the essence of something that could only exist in a virtual world. This embodies the most powerful attraction of digital art – its ability to create truly amazing things that can not exist in the real world."

Yes

Twitter: salmonmoose

10 October 2007
Quote: What if I want to do a different aspect image? You can fill it out to 2560 x 1600 with black borders.

Would a 1600 x 2560 portrait render be acceptable?

cheers,
lee

10 October 2007
What about using an older model for a totally new composition? I have an unfinished character that I would like to use. My idea is to use a fantasy character in a fantasy world where real-world physics do not apply.

I only ask this as January seems far too close and building a character from scratch (although not a necessity for this competition) would make it that much more difficult.

10 October 2007
Are there any restrictions as far as what digital medium we use? Can it be 3D, 2D, photo manipulation, some combination of those?

10 October 2007
Rule 4. says: "Entries must be original and must remain unpublished outside of CGSociety..."

I've already started working on something I would like to submit, and I'm wondering if I'm allowed to show previews of it on other forums for feedback. As I'm not publishing the finished image.

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by brianbriggs: Would a 1600 x 2560 portrait render be acceptable?

cheers,
lee

I want to know that, too.

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by crazy3dman: Are there any restrictions as far as what digital medium we use? Can it be 3D, 2D, photo manipulation, some combination of those?

Same question from me

10 October 2007
is there are any country limitations?,
you know for the pices shipment or whatever

all the hate i need inside

10 October 2007
the 2560 x 1600 size, is that 72 dpi or 300 dpi?

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by mr_carl: the 2560 x 1600 size, is that 72 dpi or 300 dpi?

It doesn't make any difference. Pixel size is pixel size no matter what the dpi is.

10 October 2007
but it really takes alot more time to render a 300dpi image than an 72dpi,
så a beter quetion maby is
Is it going to be used in print or just desplayed on screens?

10 October 2007
It's really, really simple:

Render 2560 x 1600 pixels.

That's it.

DPI has no meaning when you're counting pixels, m'kay?

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by JamesMK: It's really, really simple:

Render 2560 x 1600 pixels.

That's it.

DPI has no meaning when you're counting pixels, m'kay?

ok no problem, just checking to be safe

Thread Closed share thread