Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Leighton Johns

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2007   #1
Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Leighton Johns

Leighton Johns is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: A Little Strange - Final image

Old 09 September 2007   #2
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Wannabe Strange - initial sketch

Painter X Sketch

Old 09 September 2007   #3
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Wannabe Strange - Landscape version

A slight change to my initial sketch, one which may or may not help with the storytelling.

The background to the idea is that its inspired by two things - Steve Ditko and Stan Lee's 'Doctor Strange' character and my 4 year old nephew. Like lots of kids he's obsessed with dressing up and roleplaying superhero's, usually Spiderman on Superman. Everyone's used to this but what if he had a thing for dresing as a slightly darker character like Dr Strange - someone looking a little spooky and linked to black magic. Wouldn't this be considered real 'Strange' behaviour? Especially if he managed to gain some of his powers...

Old 09 September 2007   #4
Line Art or Model: Wannabe Strange - linework

Returned to the portrait format to begin the lineart - reasoning that the concentration should be on the kid. Still not sure though. If anyone has any thoughts on this or any suggestions on other improvements that could be made I'd be really happy to hear.

Old 10 October 2007   #5
Line Art or Model: wannna be strange - background details

After a long time away from this illustration I'm back to work on it and I'm going to be desperately trying to finish it this week. I've started by trying to finish of the line art - concentrating on the background detail in order to help the storytelling and establish who this kid is. It still looks pretty confusing at the moment though. Any comments and crits welcome.

Old 10 October 2007   #6
Line Art or Model: strange - tones

Moving on to look at the tones of the composition now, I think this will help with working out how much background detail is needed.

Old 10 October 2007   #7
this is awesome. ill definatly watch out for updates! keep on going.

Old 10 October 2007   #8
Line Art or Model: Strange - first colour test

First attempts at working out the colour range

Old 10 October 2007   #9
Final Image: A Little Strange - Final image

The background to the idea is that its inspired by two things - Steve Ditko and Stan Lee's 'Doctor Strange' character and my four year old nephew. Like lots of kids he's obsessed with dressing up and roleplaying superhero's, usually Spiderman on Superman. Everyone's used to this but what if he had a thing for dressing as a slightly darker character like Dr Strange - someone looking a little spooky and linked to black magic. Wouldn't this be considered real 'Strange' behaviour? Especially if he managed to gain some of his powers...

Old 11 November 2007   #10
Hey Leighton,..... woooooow really really cool painting, I love the mysterious and fantastic atmosphere on it and great composition. For sure a wonderful image!! Congratulations for this superb art work and good luck!! Cheers mate!!

Old 11 November 2007   #11
Magical and wonderful illustration!

Old 11 November 2007   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread