Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Juan Pablo Monroy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2007
Final Image: Death of a Painting - Story

Have you ever had the urge to listen to some old tango tunes while wearing a weird skull costume and wrecking havoc on everything in your vicinity? Apparently this pour soul did…

I think we’ve all felt this same urge in the past few months – Don’t try to hide, ‘cause I know you know you’ve felt it!!! Haha - I knew it! This urge to destroy….to demolish…. to act violently… to tear down… to kill? Yes, I can tell you exactly when you’ll behave like this – The next time you sit down in your studio/desk/whatever and are prepared to create a masterpiece pay close attention to your behavior. Creatively focused, hand gliding through the piece, colors mixed to perfection - yet unexpectedly you realize that the wonderfully foreshortened “Da Vinci-esque” hand that you envisioned is looking more like sharpened sausage pencils lit from the inside - Suddenly it all hits you. The rage, the anger! The creative juices stop flowing and are replaced by adrenaline – savage adrenaline. You grab the red paint and delicately start stabbing at the painting with all you’ve got and eventually realize that you’ve wasted 5 hours of your life. Angrily, you kick the canvas around while bouncing off the walls, and eventually you see a lovely costume you bought years ago and realize that it fits your current personality. And guess what? Old Tango music doesn’t sound bad either! So there it is, what to expect on your next venture into painting your ultimate vision.

Ok, so I guess we behave strangely when our creativeness isn’t up to our own standards. Some of us do the whole tango music thing, while others kill – As in “dude, you killed it!” – As in “wow, that is a total masterpiece!” People like Zara (Nemesix), Neville (nwiz25), Mathias (guterrez), Y.Soner(ashiataka), Fernando (Ferx), Gabriel (Steviewoo), Kamal (Hiun), Ralph (Korendo), Alon (AlonChou), Blaz (Ninjaa55n), Yusuf (Jeff Paradox) Axel (AxelAlonso) who are total weirdoes because they never pull out the costume or go for the red paint - instead they continue to work their piece into masterpiece status, and not only that, but they help others when they start thinking of going into this state. So thank you guys for all the helpful comments and tips, not only on my thread but also in general, because it helped everybody a lot! I can’t tell you how much I learned from watching your threads, so in a sick way this is dedicated to you guys (of course, I don’t know how crazy you guys might be). Congratulations on the finished pieces, they look amazing!

Technical:

Used Photoshop for most of the piece – used a lot of filters and special effects to achieve all the decorative detail. Painter was used mainly for the paintings so that I could get that old-school painting style. In general, I was working backwards - as in detail first, composition and lighting last. With all the layers and blending modes it was 100 times easier than painting directly “traditional” style. Traditionally, this piece would’ve taken me a few months to finish.

Final image: 3636x1854 – “Death of a Painting” 2007 - Juan Pablo Monroy
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007
harr, very cool story; indeed it`s less a story and more a semantic visualisation or a metaphoric view to the abstract mechanisms of the artists soul ( hell this sounds so super smart, I`ll write it down and tell it someone in the Uni next week^^)
great work man, especially in this short time period
the coloring is perfect for me, the right side with the door and the grammophon and all the little details is my favorite part here
the copies of the old paintings are awesome done, very cool style and the design of the character fits perfect to the scene
my only minor crit is that the shadows on the chars back could be a bit stronger, would give him more volume I think
great job man, best wishes for the contest

11 November 2007
Originally Posted by guterrez: indeed it`s less a story and more a semantic visualisation or a metaphoric view to the abstract mechanisms of the artists soul

Woooo, I had to pull out the dictionary on that one! haha. I'll try and add that extra 3D-ness to the character's back early tomorrow.... thats one of the problems with procrastination! thanks for the crit man!
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007
Thumbs up

The weirdo in me says THANK YOU! For all and for this wonderful piece and story, I really really like what you did here and the interesting and original style you used. Thanks the weirdo in you *smiles* made you to work in it until it reach its precious and disturbing perfection.

The closeups are great and the idea of blood and paint/oil is very sugerent, lots of details! Well done and congratulations once again for a fantastic piece *Thumbs up* Best of the lucks!!! *Waves* ¡Buena suerte! Una pieza genial, mi más sincera enhorabuena. ¡Me encanta!

11 November 2007
Hi JuanPablo
love your work very much, some classic style there,
and whole is beautiful,
good luck
Alon

11 November 2007
I don't know what to say.... your piece turned out to be nothing less han incredible!!! You know... of everything you have done on this painting, I have to say that personally the most favorite part in your image is the figure. You did an amazing job on the figure's pose and expression. The figure is like a dancer, care free child, in another world mentally, and just downright odd!! BEAUTIFUL!!

An idea is a beautiful thing, and the idea behind your piece is indeed beautiful. It is great that your piece came from somewhere deep within, that makes is forever!! SUPERB my friend!!
I wish you all the Best!!!

11 November 2007
Mushiness

Wheu! finally its over. All that hard work... all those hours in front of a monitor.... all the passionate artists. Its great to have reached the end along with you guys!

Eventhough most of us will not come out with a prize, I think we all come out winners because of the countless amount of artistic knowhow that's spread all over the forum. But most of all, we got to know others just like us who view things in similar ways and who were willing to help develop our artistic vocabulary and conceptual thought to the next level. It was a very inspiring, educational and humbling esperience! thanks guys.

Zara - the weirdo in me definitely kept me going! thanks for the positive comments - I'm glad you liked it and your feedback never seized to push me to work harder. And again, I'm proud to have your comments in my thread and to have shared this experience with such a great artist and person. GrACIAS! and just for the record, I was wearing the costume when I wrote this!bwahahaha!....

Alon - I'm gonna say it again... Your piece took this challenge to an entirely new level. Thanks for the comment!

Kamal - Very inspirational comment! I wish you the best too homie, and also a big thanks for all the work along the community. That takes a lot of work! and of course, a beutiful piece on your side too!

Mathias - yours is a very inspirational comment also! I really tryed to go for the fix, but couldnt find the time to do it.... Now that I see it, it stands out like a sore thumb!haha. But anyways, glad you enjoyed it. And now comes the mushy part: thanks again for the helpful comments and the great piece that you've treated our eyes too. Very inspirational thread and lovely WIPs all the way to the final piece. Awsome work homie!
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007
Cool

Quote: GrACIAS! and just for the record, I was wearing the costume when I wrote this!bwahahaha!....

Hahahahaha I didn't expect anything less! The author of an strange picture, representing an strange behaviour has to remain in the same odd line, just as his public -wink- So the picture is a mirror hehe. Thank to you as well, thanks for your gentle comments and support, and of course for this awesome piece, you're great!

11 November 2007
I gotta say this turned out awesome. The lighting and mood is just top notch. Good luck with the judging and I hope to see you on future competitions as well.

11 November 2007
Talking

Hi Juan Plablo,
This is chocolate with strawberry for my eyes (I love those 2)! Love the details and the history that each element plays so well explained in here, no less than a very intelligent composition; I had to read it twice haha! Thanks so much for the support, it’s been great to have experienced this challenge with the company of beautiful works like this one, I wish the best result, and hope to keep seen you Juan! Congratulations!

11 November 2007
hey Juan Pablo, your scene works perfect wihout this "fix"; at least this won`t have fixed anything, just changed a bit
after looking longer on your picture I think the lightning on the character makes it even more dreamy, ghost like...kind of astral if you like so
can`t wait to see you future works, your style ROCKS man!!!
cheers

11 November 2007
Thumbs up

hey bro! there's just one word for all this ... O U T S T A N D I N G ... one of the most creative and sinfully delicious works of art i've seen! me imagining that your mind resembles a painting in itself ... free flowing, carefree, insanely vivid! and best of all .. true to itself! it was a pleasure my friend! reading your story and gorging on ur work its fascinating! i knew i was forgetting to add someone in my list you, nemesix and more but i know for one thing, you'll always be 'the painter' who will be forever! god bless you bro! i wish you the best of the best! cheers!

11 November 2007
Thanks for the comments guys! I apprecite it.

ZARA - Thanks again! The painting is definitely a mirror at times, but dont worry, Im not crazy haha. You rock girl!

Raccoon-Dog: yeah, good luck to you as well. Thanks for the comment!

AxelAlonso: Who doesn't love chocolate strawberries?! thanks also for the support and comments and yours was a piece I also kept going back to for inspiration. Nice job man!

Mathias: mmm... maybe, but still. yeah man, hope to see yours too. Oh, and CONGRATS - I saw your piece on CG Choice! wooo, wooo, woo!

Neville: Hey man, thanks for all the wonderful adjectives and the enthusiasm! couldnt ask for more than that. and yeah, Maybe I am kinda like the painting - just a bit crazy - hahaha. Awesome piece on your side too! love the rendering, love the lighting, love celine!

thanks guys, best of luck!
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007
Red face

Pablo buddy, I'm so sorry I couldn't post until now, these days have been carazy here, and internet isn't helping either.

Well your picture is great, I feel like going on a killing spree everytime my stylus acts funny, but I guess that's not exactly the same, or is it?
I think you did great! I have a feeling for masked characters like that, and the broom/brush makes me shudder, cool!
And then is your question. well, let me get it right, i was going to explain the process now but I'm not very good at it so the result was quite hard to understand, Once I put this mess in order and clear I will post it for you, hopefully tomorrow, with a couple pictures to make it easier (for me) .......

Have nice post-challenge days, beeing sure you rocked!!

11 November 2007
Hey no problem homie! It just intrigued me how you did that jackedt thread - But no hurry or preassure man, we all got stuff to do beyond posting, right Seriously, your piece really stood out from the first sketches so I just wanna thank you for the inspiration - I definitely got more questions in my arsenal but I'll condence them into one short 10 word thing.haha! thanks man
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

Thread Closed share thread