Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Juan Pablo Monroy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2007
Line Art or Model: Still a WIP

As promised, here is another WIP. It's definitely getting darker in theme and hopefully it doesn't overshadow the character's strange behavior. Working on several layers with this one so it'll definitely be easier to edit when I get into nitpicking. Again, please let me know what you guys think on overal composition, lighting and of course if it demonstrates strange behavior and not just strangeness.
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007
Wow man, you got some really cool stuff going on here! I really like the composion and the real 'strangeness' of your work. It feels a bit twisted and strange, which is offcourse great!

All the best on finishing your work.

11 November 2007
Cool

love the brush strokes a lot! very curious about the story and more updates too! wishing you good luck!

11 November 2007
Greetings Juan Pablo,

Wish I were a fast as you, a very mysterious and gothic image. The figure is very well done. I am a proponent of the abnormal especially in this contest context, so maybe add some discordant element? For example instead of a weapon such as a sword have the blood streak from a large banana or a tube of toothpaste. And maybe in the room the “victim” could be something odd like a giant tomato or a can of red paint?

11 November 2007
Hey Korendo, thanks for the post. Yes, I was thinking something in those terms for the "weapon" its holding. I was thinking of doing maybe a large brush or broom like thing for an additional strangeness to the piece. I'm also still debating what to do inside the room but those comments certainly sparked my imagination. Thanks man! I'll try and post another WIP before the weekend is over...
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007
I really liek your style1 Is very interesting and cool, uncommon. Very nice *claps* I like the chracter and the composition. What I see or imagine with your piece is that the chracter, while listening to music, has maybe killed or hurted someone inside that room, and then leave a tray of blood with his weapon, after all he seemed to be concentrated in a music that who knows!, he is the only one who can hear it at all. Like a strange killer-ballet. I don't know if it what you had on mind is what I iamgine looking at it *grins* I really hope you will end it, yes??? Let the good work coming! ˇMucha Suerete y a por todas!

11 November 2007
Line Art or Model: Portrait

Ok, so here is one of the framed paintings that are gonna be up on the wall - This one will be behind the main character. So the purpose of these paintings will be to tell certain points of the story behind the piece. Definite influence (more like copy) from Rembrandt's self portrait.
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007
Thanks Zara! yup, you definitely got whats going on (pero no le digas a nadie! ja ja). Its unquestionably a grusome scene right now - but it'll have a twist (something like Korendo's idea) I'll add more of those elements to the composition in the next few days, but I dont want to spoil the final presentation. You'll sort of be given the clues little by little to understand why this event took place.
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007
hey man, it`s a shame you can`t realize your first idea, like I already wrote I liked these characters alot
there is a great flow in your work and your new main char looks also damn cool for me, best of luck this time, I`m waiting for more

11 November 2007
Thats an awesome piece of detail. Beautiful painting within a painting. I'm interested to see what the other paintings on the wall are, esp. if you say they play out points of the story. Can't wait to see the final.

11 November 2007
Line Art or Model: title coming soon

not much of an update, but just trying to not loose focus on this thing. I'll explain on another post....
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007
Hey guys. Well, I'm kinda workin a bit different than usual on this piece. Because of the angle and tight orthographic view, I'm adding the details and design elements first and worriying about the overall lighting and composition later - I know its not the way to go, but because I got several layers I feel its easier to move around and add shadows and all those elements later..... sort of like a 3D scene. Hope this technique works in the end, because right now its lookin like a bunch of copy/paste pictures....haha.

Guterrez: yeah I know. I liked the othe piece's humor, but it was bit too complex and time consuming - so I would've never had enough time to finish it. thanks for the post man!

Racoon-dog: thank you. I'm workin on the other paintings today and see if I can add those elements either tonight or tommorrow. I cant wait to see the final too!haha
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007
Your piece is getting more and more interesting! *Thumbs up!* -wink- I'm really enjoying this!

11 November 2007
Line Art or Model: Death of a Painter?

Ok, here is another update. I did work on it a bit more, but still trying to figure a few things. Right now it seems downright gruesome, but hopefully with other updates it will slowly come into focus. As I said, the updates should "slowly expose the truth"....bwahaha
STRANGE BEHAVIOR

11 November 2007

Cool with exceptional painting skills but rather spooky (which is desirable in this contest). Like the peak scene from a horror flick, so it does have lots of shock value punch. It seems in general for all of us to be hard to get really shocking and really humorous in the same image. Do you have any future intentions toward the humorous side? The mystery of the smaller painting and the overall mystery of this make it both very intriguing. Best of luck

Thread Closed share thread