Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Mathias Kollros

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2007
light

been watching this one for a while now. good progression. i really like your light and color interplay, very strong atmosphere!

10 October 2007
Line Art or Model: composition testing

here`s a very fast test for the composition; I`ve tried out some variations with more space around the scene but I like it this way the most: concentrated on this little teaparty, the orcs in the scene as huge as possible to show how small and petite all the puppet-stuff around is
even I`ll change some small things in the end it feels good now to have a plan, now I just have to finish it in time ;)
would be glad to hear your opinions
cheers,
Mathias

10 October 2007
This is truly amazing work Mathias. The addition of stuffed animals really adds to the intriguing characters of the story. Lovely warms against the earth tones.

10 October 2007
I didn't saw this entry before. Excellent idea and pose. I think you'll ahve to pay attention that the focus stay on the main charcter. Otherwise that's just terrific.

Vincent

monstrorama
website
blog

10 October 2007
Hi Mathias! That's great to see how the scene became like this so far. In the
composition everything seems pertinent and every detail made the composition
strong too. Keep up this amazing work. Cheers!

10 October 2007
Hey Mathias, great work buddy!, I love all the details in your painting, really awesome! and think the composition is great ( i agree with you on focus the comp arround the tea party). Again, great work !! cheers

10 October 2007
Thumbs up cool - liking it very much

I like the development here, its really interesting to look at and holds your attention with the addtion of the other toys and items on the table. It is really working well even though it is a busy composition with not too space/background as it keeps it intimate which supports the mood entirely (you mentioned about extending the canvas which may take away the intimacy I think). The hand holding the plate of cookies looks a bit odd to me at the moment, not because it unrendered, but it just seems a bit disconected from whats going on and its taking the focus away a little from the orcs for me. Anyway its really looking great - keep going!

10 October 2007
hi
amazing work! i love the colorscene-atmospher. keep it up! but i do have one question-remark, that what do you think about the right side hand thats holding the tee cup - is it mayby to human like. its amazing what you have done with the orc-s heads, mayby the center tee-cup hand could be also more like orc-ish or so? ofcourse it can make the picture a littel bit too messy but just a side remark. im new so dont hold a grudge! Great work and best luck! cheers!...for the hord!!

10 October 2007
Haha... that is just great, you got to love the whole Idea! Looking at your other ideas this sure is the best. The tight comp works well, it makes them look big and clumsy. very funny!

P/

10 October 2007
Thumbs up

so my first post did go through!

Great post any way!

Last edited by PsychoArt : 10 October 2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: dubbel post

10 October 2007
yeah I`ve got mail^^ muchas gracias Hiun, authentic, ashiataka, Ferx, Subha, gingi,PsychoArt x2 ;p
I`m glad that you all dig the composition even it`s very busy, I had my doubts on it but now I see the light at the end of the tunnel

Subha, you have a special talent to point exactly out what bothers myself the most on this piece^^ I have no solution for this problem but I definately have to change this hand, maybe I`ll replace it or reduce the light on it

gingi, I always wanted to overwork this hand to make it look more orcish, just have to give myself a kick in my lazy bump

cheers,
Mathias

10 October 2007
Talking idea is exellent

amazing work!!! exellent style, MOod, light colors, wonderful painting.
CReatures are Superb !! and most important -idea is exellent.

I was laughing wery loud when i seen it first time

10 October 2007
Very good progress man! I truely dig your lighting

10 October 2007
Just Great!!

Yep, No original words from me, just great work!NIce colors, and nice/busy composition which is just as SAbha pointed it out, warm and intimacy!
Also agree with you and Sabha for the hand but when I see your skills no worry about it!This will totaly rock!
So just great!
Cheers!

10 October 2007
About the hand

The hand is a little distracting but only because it's not finished yet. The truth of the matter is Mathias, that hand is probably the thing that ties together the strange scene and is actually what makes the event intimate. That hand shows the care and love of the orc and he is serving the other with tea and cookies. Even though there are cookies on the table already, that hand around and behind the other orc plays a great role in the theme on a whole (a kind and gentle orc - that's priceless). You really just need to push the hand into the background. Take it out of the mid ground and let your light sculpt it gently enough to make it recognizable but not distracting. But that hand is a powerful part of your image, don't lose it.

Thread Closed share thread