Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Mathias Kollros

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2007   #1
Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Mathias Kollros

Mathias Kollros is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: 5 o`clock, somewhere at the orcish border...

Old 08 August 2007   #2
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: wip1

At first I wanted to say hello to everybody, it`s my first time on this board and its exciting challenges
I saw all the outstanding works here and now I decided it is time to join this community

well here`s how I started this thing, not really a professional way to start an image but I just played around a bit until I knew where I would go

Last edited by guterrez : 08 August 2007 at 08:01 AM.

Old 08 August 2007   #3
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: wip2

at this stage I`m quite sure to go after some weird Alice piece with strange characters and their strange behaviors, perhaps I`ll change the hole setting in the next 82 days but right now I`m starting to have a lil fun with this

Old 08 August 2007   #4
Line Art or Model: newest wip

well that`s how far I am, the story gets more concrete but I`m not sure about the composition
the scene shows Humpty Dumpty at a rendevouz with Alice in the smoking caterpillars Opium-bar
her personality is split into 2 persons in this scene but they are shown as seamese twins cause after all they belong together
I`m not so sure about the format and color, feedback is much appreciated

Old 08 August 2007   #5
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: digital tears

had some other concept ideas for the theme , hope to get some feedback on these:
the first one is about a little robogirl who don`t know that she is one
designed to be the perfect child and equipped with an emotion-chip she`s living many years with her "parents"...until the day when she wakes up next to some old robots at the garbage dump, which have never seen a crying synthetic before

Old 08 August 2007   #6
Firstly, I'll say that both concepts are very well painted, you clearly have talent there. As for the ideas themselves, I don't think either lends themselves well to this competiton. I like the robot idea more, but unless I read your whole description after it I would have had no idea thats what its about.

If you want to display a child discovering she is part robot, maybe a better way would be to show her in a situation that would normally reveal out own inner workings. I'm personally not sure how to accomplish that without going into gory details, but maybe thats a solution. I just think it needs to be more convincing and more startling to the child than staring at her arm without skin.

Old 08 August 2007   #7
thx for the answer, double thank you for its constructive nature

I`m afraid you`re right with the robogirl; I guess this is the hardest part making the picture work without explaining the story

the Alice piece could work imo cause I can already see all the missing stuff I want to add; IŽll finish it anyway but I think I want to play around with some different ideas for this competition

Old 08 August 2007   #8
hey there! first, let me say that the paint work is fantastic! very moody and almost ethereal. However, I will have to agree with Killer-Instinct93 in that the composition is somewhat vague in terms of strange behaviour. I think its a great idea, a robot finding out she's a robot, not to mention her parents watching her cry. Which got me thinking - what the image was restructured as a closeup of the parent and the robogirl, the girl crying as though normal (with hints here and there she's a robot) and the parent, rather than trying to comfort her , is staring in utter surprise (bewilderment?) that she is crying. I mean, it's truly is a great storyline, but I think that can be solved with this or other compositioning. Otherwise, great work!

Old 08 August 2007   #9
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: another sight of the robogirl theme

thx for the feedback, played already around with the theme in a similar direction
like you mentioned it shows the little robot with her parents which have lost their real daughter, but in this scene they are crying while the robot is slowly going to freak out because of the flood of emotions (it is going to pull the dolls head of and sparks flying from its head...
well its a very fast sketch, I guess I`ll play around with different stuff
cheers

Old 09 September 2007   #10
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: roleplayorkz

played around a bit with another idea: roleplaying fantasy creatures
the only question now is: are Orks playing "Dungeons & Dragons" against human opponents or shall I paint a group of orks playing something like "Lawyers & Courts"??
would really like to hear your thoughts

Old 09 September 2007   #11
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: color test

a little colortest I also did this evening,
cheers

Old 09 September 2007   #12
Hey you got great painting skills! this last color test has a Rembrendtish quality in it.. As far as your concept I think you should do both! Orks playing lawyer&court chess against barbarian humans. Who knows maybe that is the punishment of one side to the other, or what they chose to do instead of warring? Anyway, nice job keep it up!

Old 09 September 2007   #13
The mood is excellent !
Great painting here !

Old 09 September 2007   #14
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: colortest 2

thx for the comments guys
I`ve pushed this a bit further, still not sure about the size of the scene I want to show; just 3 orkze or a bigger group surrounding them? I guess I`ll show more of the desk so I`ll zoom out the point of view a bit...what do you think?

Old 09 September 2007   #15
After I`ve seen that my idea was too similar to Walrus work I`ve changed the concept for the orcs a bit:
now I`ll show what they`re doing when fighting is over: they`re having a tea-party inside their save orclair with everything you need for such an event like a teaservice, cake and cupcakes, one orc is knitting, one is nipping from his cup and another one is making smalltalk...

Thread Closed share thread