Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Annie Stegg

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2007   #31
Thanks so much Jason! Yeah, the shadows were a pain! Im not used to doing backgrounds that require so much geometry, instead of organic shapes. It was quite a learning experience!

Old 09 September 2007   #32
Ohh wow!

I've been watching your progress, you are doing a great paint job so far! When did you start the classroom? feels like you've just pulled it out of your pocket

Is there any 3D involved in this layout painting? cause the perspectives are working very consistently. Anyway, great job, strong style. Very American, Edward Hopperish I'd say, though it's different. Good luck with the challenge...

Old 09 September 2007   #33
Hi Annie, great great background !!! woow!! I really liked the style ! nice!!
The bench beside the windows create the sensation that is over the window, perhaps you need to take out this bench or the bench in the middle ( in the bottom of the right corner) to gain space and the perspective can be showed better. again only a comment

Great and awesome work !!

Old 09 September 2007   #34
A very good concept and a realization very good also I like your style " sixteen " and the paint of characters is great. Just a small criticism, aluminum amount of you window make an anachronism with the rest of the look
Very good job

Old 09 September 2007   #35
i like the style and i wonder how you'll treat the dinosaur, i hope it won't be "too much".
i really prefer the first teacher because we can see the fear, but we can also see that she keeps this kind of dignity women had in this period!
I can't wait to see the finished image and the final colors

Old 09 September 2007   #36
Thanks Jeffparadox! I actually already had the classroom blocked out with the line drawing and greyscale in my first post. I had to fix a lot of things, and I skewed the perspective, to show the two kids closest to the camera better (Hopefully this will allow people to see the dino eating teacher note they will be passing, more clearly!) I started with a preliminary 3d base before I started any drawing, to try to get the best angle of the classroom as a whole. I ended up scrapping that, however, to have more dramatic perspective lines. I'm glad you think they look consistent, though. I was really worried about the bookshelf and the teacher's desk.

Thanks Ferx, Im really glad you like the style! The bench is actually the teacher's desk, though. I needed it near the window, so the dino's tongue could reach the apple that will be on it. I see what you mean though. Maybe I could try moving it slightly towards the chalkboard, and getting rid of the dark inset underneath it, to make it more desk-like.

Thanks MDN67! I see what you mean about the windows. I was unsure of what material to use though. I've never seen sliding windows use wood, so thats why I went with a more metal look. Black was too harsh, and white was too bright. I wanted it to be shiny, in contrast to the walls, but use the same colors, so that the dino through the window would stand most predominantly. Any suggestions?

Hey Jayf! Im glad you like the first teacher, it seems to be the one everyone prefers! I tried to use all the same color palette, using a lot of warm yellows on everything, so that the dino (probably using more cool colors) will hopefully stand out, but not be overbearing. You'll have to let me know, when I throw him in there. Thanks!

Old 09 September 2007   #37
Great idea and your graphic style is verry nice

Looking forward for next updates

Old 09 September 2007   #38
All I have to say about this newest post of yours is BAM!!

Well, actually, thatís not allÖ

Although you said that it is still pretty lose, Iíve got to say, it looks very, very nice! I love the detailed areas especially ( cause you know Iím a detail freak ). The chalkboardís texture is great! The look of eraser marks is excellent! I bet you had a fun time making all the studentís crayon drawings. Come on, be honest! For someone so detailed as you, that was probably the hardest part.

GREAT JOB.

Old 09 September 2007   #39
You could can be to paint windows has classic closure with wooden amounts, it no change the position of your dinosaurus

Old 09 September 2007   #40
Wow, Annie! Looks like this piece is moving along quite nicely. I especially love the portrait sketches, but wow, that background is very impressive! Leave it to you to put every single detail in. ^_~ Can't wait to see the rest of this one!

Old 09 September 2007   #41
Hehe, thanks Nomad! Hopefully, I will be posting my next update this weekend.

Thanks Ramon! Actually, doing the kids artwork was the most fun part! On the board next to the chalkboard, I actually, had much more detail, student's math papers, a job chart, a calender with all of the classroom events for the month of October... Oh well, maybe I'll post a high resolution detail shot later.

I'll try a wooden finish on the windows next MDN67, thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks Amber! I just hope the whole thing doesn't end up getting too busy....

Old 09 September 2007   #42
That's looking awesome Annie! Nice concept and so far the execution looks very nice as well. What I like the most is the picture of the dino eating the teacher! that is priceless

Keep up the good work!

Old 09 September 2007   #43
ah ah .....good work....Annie....your pictures are let me recall campus life........um um .....keep it up and good luck.......

Old 09 September 2007   #44
Hi Annie,

Stunning work! I love the concept and your execution is beautiful. I also prefer the first version of the teacher.

Regarding the teacher’s desk, you could add a chair behind it to help clarify it’s a desk. Also, the way it’s designed in your latest update it looks like the teacher would have her back to the classroom if she sat down at it. I would suggest fixing this in one of two ways. 1) Remove the middle back panel so we can see the wall behind/chair underneath or 2) Make the front solid instead of having the open space in the middle. Adding a few items on top of the desk (besides the apple) would also help clarify it’s function - i.e. a pencil holder with pencils, a book or two, papers, etc.

I really like your work and I can’t wait to see how it continues to develop. Please feel free to take or leave my comments, they’re in no way meant to take away from your lovely piece.

Old 09 September 2007   #45
hey neato! This could be a nice rockwellian piece
One little note, looking at your original roughs... the pieve might be better served by some more kids in the foreground. you know, boy wh've got up from thier seats to take a closer look but are keeping thier distance etc etc.

Thread Closed share thread