Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Alexandra Ciolac

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2007   #16
Hi Sacha,

Thanks for worm welcome! I am very happy to see you here, and sure this is going to be an interesting challenge for all of us!
And hey, I enjoyed watching your work, and learned quite a bit from you, and quite egoistically planning to do the same this time too

Steampunk (Video)
Musi panels: A, B, C

Old 07 July 2007   #17
I'll watch for your progress very close and hope to learn something from your work.

I'm planing to join challenge little later in animation forum. I just want to be sure what i'm doing and how.

Old 07 July 2007   #18
Thanks, Dima, I am flattered by your high evaluation of my work
Looking forward for your thread, and can't wait to see what kind of strange idea you will come with!

Steampunk (Video)

Old 07 July 2007   #19
The idea looks cool !
Let's see what's next.

Old 07 July 2007   #20
Line Art or Model: Generic chicken

Here is generic chicken, that's going to be a base for all the chickens.
It doesn't have any character, but from here I am going to pose it and push it into the different characters of different chickens.
It's also naked now, and I haven't decide yet what I am going to do with feathers... One possibility is to bring it into ZBrush after posing and sculpt them there as a volume of the body, and add some extra ones later...

Steampunk (Video)

Old 07 July 2007   #21
Talking

Hi Alexandra,
I simply was laughing once I read your story, it was like a movie going on, I kind of relate your story, since I also used to pick up eggs in the early morning on my grandmother’s house and they look ugly!. But more to the point of your idea, I think twisting the interest of pretty for ugly its as strange as original, I like it…I like the idea of your little fat chicken whom no one pays attention on him, and I think the hen moms, have so much potential in the cartoony way. I can wait to se how you are going to put all this together…but there’s lots of time

Old 07 July 2007   #22
Thumbs up

I think your story reads well through that "stillmatic", and your chook (= chicken) is full of personality. This should be good!

Old 07 July 2007   #23
The base model looks just fine... kee it up Sasha...

My online portfolio

Old 07 July 2007   #24
Cool

you could try particle feathers, mapbased size, so when you blend the maps you can easily animate even make the feathers "stand up" and do wing feathers extra so they are rigable.if that makes sense ^^ nice basemodel keep on going

Old 07 July 2007   #25
Pfeiffer:
Thanks, I guess I ma joining this chicken run .

Axel:
Glad you laked my idea ! So, I can see there are others on this artistic forum who have started their career from picking eggs ... This one is going to be a really challenge for me to get working the catroony stuff, because I am tend to go towards realism (well, I am not very good at it yet, but tendency is there).

Susan:
Hey, my friend! Thanks for visiting my thread! I am very glad you liked the idea - and you know it's going to be difficult one for me! Don't you think this chicken is a bit too realistic for the concept?

George:
Thanks! Doing my best...

Sacha:
Thank you for advice! I understand what you mean, and it sounds like a good idea. May be you can point me towards a tutorial on this subject?

Steampunk (Video)

Old 07 July 2007   #26
I don't really remember what software you use but if you are using maya here is a script that might help
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutor...Script-298.html

as well as this little tut
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutor...tancer-267.html

The second one is an exaple for how you can change properties per particle... If you find the exact property you want to change from the listener, you can change any property per particle.

I hope that helps...

My online portfolio

Old 07 July 2007   #27
Nice modeling.

Keep it going.

Do you have sketches of characters already or you going to model them right in 3D.

Old 07 July 2007   #28
About the chickens' realism vs cartoon style....

Now this is just my opinion, of course, but:

I definitely don't think that the chickens' realism is in any way in conflict with the rest of the scene or the story. They look like high quality cartoon figures right now because they're all smooth and grey and lacking the texture and shading details which would make them more realistic - maybe if you do too good a job with the feathers I'll have to reevaluate. Something less realistic would be less interesting to me. But then, simple cartoon characters often bore me. Maybe trying to copy a defined style isn't as important as having your own style. If your own style leans towards realism, then it does that, and that's that.
Having human expression around the eyes - widened surprised eyes, or furrows in the brow, etc, would get it back to being cartoony. And in your "stillmatic" you have an exaggerated bend in the legs of the chicken that's just laid the egg, which again makes it cartoony.

Old 07 July 2007   #29
hehehe the chicken is looking really funny! looking great Alexandra!

Old 07 July 2007   #30
George:
Thanks a lot for help! I am in Maya, and I am going to try out those things soon (I have a bit of the rush at work right now).

Dimitri:
Thanks! I don't have character sketches - I am very bad at drawing I tryed, but it's not presentable... But I have a very clear idea how things should look, and after posing the character, I am going to bring it into the ZBrush and design there.

Susan:
I hope you are right - future will show . I will do some experimenting with feathers and see how it will go, but the biggest "cartoonizm" will probably come from exaggerated poses and facials, as you say, human expression around eyes. I am just concerned that I will get carried away trying to get things looking "right" and will go too far away from the concept... Stop me if I will!

Kei:
Glad you liked it, and thanks for visiting my thread

Steampunk (Video)

Thread Closed share thread