CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Strange Behaviour (Illustration)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #61
Ordibble-Plop
High fiddlety
portfolio
DH
New Zealand

Final Image: The Choleric Physiognomist

“Such a monstrous nose, said they, had it been a true nose, could not possibly have been suffered in civil society -- and if false -- to impose upon society with such false signs and tokens, was a still greater violation of its rights, and must have had still less mercy shewn it.” – The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Stern (1713-1768)

“Among the numerous stratagems by which pride endeavors to recommend folly to regard, there is scarcely one that meets with less success than affectation, or a perpetual disguise of the real character by fictitious appearances.” – Dr Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

A man whose volatile passions have distanced him from polite society has sought a solution to his problems in the self-serving writings of assumed wise men. These men, forging from flesh and bone and prejudice the modern science of physiognomy, have described how the external appearance, particularly of the face and surrounding regions, reflects the inner character. In these words he has learned that his is the face of a choleric man, which advertises to society that he is in possession of strong appetites and given to impetuous and wilful outbursts. So surrounded by the shadows of his obsessions, the self-diagnosed choleric submits to the compulsion of his temperament and readies himself to cut off his nose to spite his own face. His vainglorious pride, the very thing he hopes to amputate, has led him to strap himself into his physiognomist’s chair, with the stark reality of his damning profile beside him and the modified craniometer, designed to measure the man and guide the cut, over the offending anatomy. According to the theory, in so modifying his visage, this will be his last act as a choleric man, after which he will not have to look down his nose at himself any longer. And true to his prescribed character, the only concession to the consequences of his actions is the bloodletting bowl in his lap, there to catch the ill humours that so trouble him.

My thanks to everyone for their comments and encouragement throughout the past four long months. And now I am off to cut the lawn - it is spring here and the grass is very long and I'm sure my neighbours are not impressed :)

Last edited by Ordibble-Plop : 10-28-2007 at 03:21 AM.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:20 AM   #62
Korendo
Delirious Adventurer

portfolio
Ralph King
Instructional Media Designer, Free Lance Artist,
USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Korendo
Thumbs up The Man Unscrewed His Nose

Honorable & Cogent David,

Deeply moving, still, madding, lonely and desperate. I feel a sad kinship to him. This is undoubtedly one of the most upsetting and strange behaviors possible. Beyond his action it is a reflection of tragedy based on misconceptions and social bias. Your writing and image really send a powerful message. Congratulations.

I found this odd but related story on the web, it gave me hope for him in a surreal way…

“A man with a wooden nose knocked on my shower door. I peered round the frosted glass but couldn’t hear what he was saying. I tried to turn the water off but the shower knobs had disappeared. Without a word the man unscrewed his nose and gave it to me. It made a perfect shower handle.” - samsara

Last edited by Korendo : 10-29-2007 at 04:22 AM. Reason: refinement

Old 10-28-2007, 05:59 AM   #63
SteevieWoo
***Clean keyboard, SOON!

portfolio
Gabriel Vera
Illustrator
imanimastudio.com
Mexico City, Mexico

Send a message via Yahoo to SteevieWoo

Thumbs up

WOW what a concept!! is really deep and meaningful an so well exacuted! I can't think of a better and more elegant way to show this moment ... not gory, but brutal nonetheless.... and the Rembrand-like mood reminds of other moments like that.... Just very well landed!!
this is a great image.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #64
Frotze
Insatiable learner

portfolio
David Forest
Montreal, Canada

I loved this one from the beginning, and i'm so happy to see you finish in time! You captured the mood brilliantly, and I love how it stills applies to our everyday life of appearances and prejudice. It's the kind of work that you just can't looking at without holding your breath (and eventually die if you forget to breathe again, but it's just a matter of practice, really). Anyway, wonderful entry, strange behavior all the way, and good luck for your lawn.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #65
gpepper
The journey begins !

portfolio
Gilles Pfeiffer
instructor
French School of CG
Brie et angonnes, France

Excellent picture ! Great lighting and modeling !
The topic is great too !

Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 AM   #66
Korendo
Delirious Adventurer

portfolio
Ralph King
Instructional Media Designer, Free Lance Artist,
USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Korendo
Talking Ahead by a Nose

To me this image gets the nod for most shocking. I wonder how he would look if he wore Groucho Marx eyeglasses, nose and mustache? I guess that would reduce the shock but maybe make it funny, always a hard balance. Anyway a great image! Best of luck

Last edited by Korendo : 11-10-2007 at 12:34 AM.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:17 AM   #67
Slav
Stronger then old cheese

portfolio
Slav Kravchenko
Matte Dept.
Framestore
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via AIM to Slav
wicked! i personally wouldnt resort to chopping off my nose. but hey if he is that sure all the power to him! great execution!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #68
guterrez
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mathias Kollros
Student, Freelance Artist
University of Art
Linz, Austria

great finish, the whole mood is just perfect for this scene
his room feels quite small but that`s what makes it so intense; he`s sitting in his own little world and no one outside knows what happens inside
good luck man

Old 11-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #69
Peter-Eriksson
Art Director

portfolio
Peter Eriksson
Art Director
Konrad Illustrationer
Gothenburg, Sweden

What a great picture, can't understand how I've could have missed this one from the beginning.
Good luck now!
/peter

Old 05-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #70
cowtrix
Philosopher Wannabe

portfolio
Sean Finnegan
Melbourne, Australia

Send a message via MSN to cowtrix
Wow. Really disturbing work. Great job! 4*

Old 05-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #71
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread