CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Strange Behaviour (Illustration)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #31
soapy
Yum, Candy!

portfolio
Jimmy H.
Canada

Nice progress, once you get your textures and such sorted out this one is gonna be a beauty.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #32
MartinNielsen
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Martin Nielsen
3d artist / Illustrator
Climax Games
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to MartinNielsen
True. You need some good texture work, and the piece will rock.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #33
gshupe
Frequenter

portfolio
Geoff Shupe
Owner/Artist
IronBrass Studios
Salt%2BLake%2BCity, United%2BStates

direction

you've made some great creative changes to this piece. nice progress! i'm sure this will end up being really cool.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #34
Ordibble-Plop
High fiddlety
portfolio
DH
New Zealand

Line Art or Model: The Choleric Physiognomist: getting closer

Continuing with the texturing and refining the modelling. I also swapped the 'fire' area light (the red one) for a spotlight so I can control its area falloff and get rid of the ugly stuff under the table. There's no texture on the head and hands at the moment.

This version has the modified face with clenched eyes - I'm not absolutely happy with the way it is being lit beneath the eye. Does anyone prefer the original, more passive expression?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:52 AM   #35
Ordibble-Plop
High fiddlety
portfolio
DH
New Zealand

I'm getting to the point where I think I may actually be able to finish this. Thanks to everyone for the support and suggestions - it makes it easier to get through.

guterrez: thanks. The colouring is yellow to mirror the yellow skin that was considered a characteristic feature of people with choleric personalities. I added a red light (of glowing embers in a fireplace) to add a little foreshadowing of blood. It hits the bowl quite nicely, which is a bloodletting bowl of those times.

Koekebakker: thanks for looking in. I had always meant to try a face with more expression and have finally got round to modelling it. I'll have to cogitate on it for a while to see if I am truly happy with it.

Tranchefeux: thanks for your comments. I respect the meaning and thought you put into your work, so I really appreciate it. I hope to remove the 3D look and make it look more like a painting, but I am learning this bit as I go, so I don't know how well I will be able to do this before the deadline.

Soapy: hehe, beauty must be in the eye of the beholder, but then I like your sense of the absurd and odd, so who knows

Martin: thanks, if that strap on his head holds there will certainly be some rocking going on.

AshCR24: thanks, it's been quite a long road looking back - for better or worse I think the destination is now set.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #36
Frotze
Insatiable learner

portfolio
David Forest
Montreal, Canada

Hey man, looking good so far! I think I prefer the more passive expression. When you clench your eyes that hard, skin gets pulled all over the nose towards the eyebrows, and if I was about to cut my nose, I guess I'd like to have at least a clean cut. But giving him some more expression isn't bad in itself; in fact, I think it's great. I just feel it may be too exagerated right now. Perhaps you could try reducing it to a small frown. At least that would help getting more of his eyes.

I really like how you modeled the folds of his clothes, by the way. Did you use any reference?

Last edited by Frotze : 10-11-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #37
guterrez
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mathias Kollros
Student, Freelance Artist
University of Art
Linz, Austria

the facial expression for this special szuation is quite a tough task^^
the new version looks like he already starts with the cutting process, the first moment when he feels the pressure of his tool, the older version shows the moment before he starts
I guess you have to decide what specific moment you want to show
all in all nice update, speed up man
cheers,
Mathias

Old 10-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #38
Ordibble-Plop
High fiddlety
portfolio
DH
New Zealand

Line Art or Model: The Choleric Physiognomist: texturing done

Just a small update but a milestone as all the texturing and modelling is done. I've also more or less got my passes sorted, so it's time to render out and then have a week or so to fiddle with it in post (paint the wig, eyebrows and such).

I'm still contemplating a minimalist background on the right - a barely visible bookshelf. I have the modelled books, so it won't take much time to put together and comp in.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:28 PM   #39
Ordibble-Plop
High fiddlety
portfolio
DH
New Zealand

Frotze: thanks for your opinion. In the end I've gone with your suggestion - a sort of halfway look. Enough to suggest some emotion, but not so much that it obliterates the form around the eyes. I did use reference for modelling the folds - the hardest part was finding a jacket that had the right weight cloth and was the proper fit (jackets seem to be a bit looser nowadays). In the end I used my old denim jacket, which worked well. After a few dead ends I found a fairly good mesh pattern for managing folds, although the mesh is still a horrendous mess, but fine for a still.

guterrez: thanks man. I have a couple of weeks left and am sufficiently advanced to be fairly chilled about finishing - I certainly feel it is time to walk away from this one. So the face is done, for better or worse.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #40
karko
Know-it-All
portfolio
Marc Thierry
France

A great idea ! A very cultural and very humouristic idea but very hard because if the physiognomony is a stupid idea, it is unfortunately taken seriously at the beginning of the 20th century...

The ligthing is very expressive but, may be, you can put the design on the white table behind the character? the character would be cuting his nose in according the sketch?

Marc.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 AM   #41
cabertevon
May Agimat ang Dugo Ko!

portfolio
Von Caberte
Philippines

Send a message via AIM to cabertevon

I can't believe that i miss this thread.

Impressive work David! Models, textures and lightings are perfect.

Slapping a 2d or photo interior scene on the background would be a great add on.

5 Star.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:24 AM   #42
Ordibble-Plop
High fiddlety
portfolio
DH
New Zealand

Final Image: The Choleric Physiognomist: start comp

I've finally rendered everything out and started to comp and touch up. I've overpainted the wig, which was the part I was most afraid of, so it is all downhill from here.

I'm also going to rerender the background books as some are too bright/clean (some of them use the cover from an early edition of Dr Johnson's dictionary :) ). The blue one will also go - it seemed like a good idea to add some colour variation, but as it is the only blue thing in the picture, it grabs too much attention.

I had flipped the picture several times while doing it but hadn't liked it too much. Now that it is almost done, I prefer it flipped now. It looks to add more depth for me and seems more left-right readable. Unfortunately it reversed the writing on the diagram and bust, so I'll have to rerender those passes.

Last edited by Ordibble-Plop : 10-21-2007 at 06:28 AM.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #43
Frotze
Insatiable learner

portfolio
David Forest
Montreal, Canada

Awesome! I also do prefer the flipped composition, and the addition of the bookshelf really helps filling that blank space. Areas that catch my eyes : the shadow on his leg gives the feeling of it being cubic. The one casted by his head is also oddly sharp. You probably know this already, but to my experience, shadows casted by the moving flame of a candle tends to give soft shadows. Perhaps it was only a less-time-consuming choice to render them dead sharp, since area lights obviously take more time to calculate, but softening them further would help a lot, in my opinion, especially in the areas I mentionned.

Looking forward to your next update!

Old 10-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #44
guterrez
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mathias Kollros
Student, Freelance Artist
University of Art
Linz, Austria

impressive update, the face turned out great and the overall lightning is beautifull
IŽd crop the image a bit on the right or add some smooth reflections there; its a bit too black in that area I think
cheers mate

Old 10-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #45
Korendo
Delirious Adventurer

portfolio
Ralph King
Instructional Media Designer, Free Lance Artist,
USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Korendo
Leading by a Nose

Looks great. The low-key lighting really sets the mood. Maybe add needle and thread so he can sew up after the fact, maybe that’s to much clutter.

Thread Closed share thread