Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Karen Petrasko

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2007   #1
Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Karen Petrasko

Karen Petrasko is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Ghost Duster

Old 10 October 2007   #2
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Ghost Duster

At this stage, I had the idea of a witch cowgirl who chases down rebel ghosts on her broom. Usually I start my concepting process with a lot of random sketching in order to figure out the character's expressions and going from there. Once I have a feel for the identities and personalities of the characters, I move on to composing the image around their behavior.

Old 10 October 2007   #3
Line Art or Model: Ghost Duster

Next, I scan in the sketches that I like to piece together an image. I fade back the opacity of my 'jigsaw' sketch on a layer. On a new layer, I redraw and clean up the line work, which is shown here.

Old 10 October 2007   #4
Final Image: Ghost Duster

Here's what the final looks like so far, I've finished it a couple weeks early to have a chance to think it over and work in any changes. I've went through a lot of different faces for the witch until I found one that I thought suited the situation. I was trying to come up with a good balance of making the viewer feel pity for the ghost but not necessarily villanize the cowgirl witch.

Old 10 October 2007   #5
wow!! i really like the pallet and the composition! i love how soft it feels....

Old 10 October 2007   #6
I like It

NIce!! It's realy pleasure to watch this PIcture.

Old 10 October 2007   #7
Very nice image and lovely colours.

Old 10 October 2007   #8
nice cartoon like stile...

Old 10 October 2007   #9
Final Image: Ghost Duster

Since the deadline was extended, I decided to go ahead and tweak my final a little more. I played around with levels, making the image a little more blue than it was previously. It seemed to help make the colors feel a little more vibrant. I also cleaned up some of the edges. I'm still trying to find that balance in my work between painterly and polished.

Old 11 November 2007   #10
Hi Karen,

I like the style and colors a lot! I love the witch! Well the ghost to haha! Great work! I donít know if you are going to upgrade another final! but to me looks great already gives a bit the idea of pastel texture in it! I like that!

Old 12 December 2007   #11
Hey Karen, really nice image. I love the mood and the style on your concept, cool!!

Congratulations for this great artwork and good luck!!

Old 12 December 2007   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread