Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Don Dixon

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2007   #46
Hey don, Im glad you pushing the concept further... but stirrups require 'feet', so I dont think they are reading right. But I like the idea of using riding equipment.
Also, They might look really cool if you exaggerate their proportions alittle more. Check out
Aleks Kirilenko's worm.

Kepp it up!
_sean

Old 08 August 2007   #47
Very cool! Lovely designs of the fish and worm!

Steampunk Myths n Legends

Old 08 August 2007   #48
Thanks Sean! I agree, the fish hooks dont' read as stirrups but its just another visual element to make the composition more interesting to look at, a secondary thing, so I infact might just scale them down a bit to keep John Worm and Buck Fins the central characters.

Thanks Bobby! Huge fan of your stuff!

I am currently learning the ways of the displacement map and hopefully will have up dates very soon!

D.

Old 08 August 2007   #49
Maybe to make the fishhooks read better as stirrups, you should make the saddle a bit smaller and not hang so low. Then you can have those stirrups sitting up higher and you can make the barbs dull or broken off, rusty, etc. - like the fish found em somewhere on the sea floor. Just an idea since you seem to want to keep the hook and saddle idea in there (I think it does add another element of fun personally)

CGNUGGETS - character process training
[/color]

Old 08 August 2007   #50
Love your models. It's looking great. Fish hooks could also make great substitutes for 6 shooters on the worm.

Old 08 August 2007   #51
Hey Don great models, I love the fish, its great, and really nice expression for the worm rider !! Great work man!! . Looking forward for more great updates !

Old 08 August 2007   #52
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Best Friends

I was playing tonight with displacement maps in studio max and othere texturing to give the fish more wrinkles in the eyes and make him a lil more like a cowfish thats been around the block a few times.

Old 08 August 2007   #53
Cool

Sandpiper- Thanks man! I am not totally in love with using the fish hooks, I can easily through and idea out the door if its not working, I think my best bet would to stay as close to my intial illustration anyway, the hat I think is cute, makes no sense at all but thats what was in my head, the saddle bugs cause the perspective I want to use for this shot doesn't really allow the viewer to see it and it doesnt really help sell the idea any further. I am sure a solution will come to me after i finish this beer.

breadwig Thank you sir! Love the fish hook six shooter idea but I dont wanna give my worm hands, maybe I can incorporate it in the worm tail end, most likely I think I am gonna axe it!
Glad you like the models, I am expirimenting with displacement maps right now, I never really played with them before out of fear of not knowing what the hell I was doing. I also tried some touching up in Zbrush but for this project I think I may stay away from that, until i know zbrush better.

Ferx Thank u as well man! I will do my best to keep showing the progression!

Old 08 August 2007   #54
You have some very good character designs there. I think the first reaction of most whenever you see 3d cartoon fish these days is Finding Nemo, and personally when I saw the first colour sketch I immediately thought it was a Dory rip off, but now that I see the model, it is very unique and very well done.

Have you given any thought as to what colour the fin will be?

Old 08 August 2007   #55
I love your fish and worm characters. They have a huge amount of personality. And personally I think the fish hook looks excellent

Old 08 August 2007   #56
Thumbs up

Hey there Don! great work!
Hmm what is it??,.... I don't know...yep, the pupils, they look smaller now, i have to say that the all dark eyes of your previous un colored renders had a little somethig so wonderful I can't describe now... I know you didn't meant them to be all black (I wouldn't mind that) but maybe if you grow the pupils, you know, so there is less white showing....
mmmm... I think the eyes had that 'cowfish thats been around the block' feeling in those first renders, even before you added the wrinkles on his eyelids, so maybe you could check if this works for you...

Weeh.. hope you get the idea, this is really hard to explain, more a feeling than an idea I gess...

Old 08 August 2007   #57
Line Art or Model: Best Friends (Texture progress)

Here I more progress with texturing and what not, It was mentioned that someone liked the all black eyes so I think I will keep them, I want to put a really nice reflection on them but right now its not giving me what I want, could be cause there is nothing in the scene to reflect yet,..duh! lol But even when I tried to map an image to fake one it was not giving me the results i wanted, anyway lots more to do, model sea enviorment, rubbage, or wheels, maybe and old bottle of whiskey or something. FOr now here is where I am at! :)

Old 08 August 2007   #58
i know nothing about modelling, but from an artistic point of view, i think all they need is a little squash/stretch to dictate a sense of movement, right now they just look as if they are sitting there! or some motion blur when you photoshop it wouldn't go amiss (tastefully done, obviously)

Old 08 August 2007   #59
texturing and colors coming along really well.And I agree with hollietree about the squash and stretch thing.it wud add juice to ur work.

Old 08 August 2007   #60
there ya go!

dondixon: "I'm not much of a modeler"

sandpiper: "PHOOEY!"

This is looking great man! Personally I'd rather see regular eyes with big pupils and irises. Something about the black takes away the personality of this. For instance, now you can't rotate the eyes in a certain direction to help show what kind of emotion the fish has. It also looks a little "dead" with the black eyes, but that's just my opinion.

Glad to see you are pushing yourself with the 3D. Gotta put yourself out there a bit to get better right!!?

CGNUGGETS - character process training
[/color]

Thread Closed share thread