Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Maciej Frolow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2007   #31
Ferx - thx for the comment yes the dragon will have a looong neck

Jeffparadox - thank you, sorry no lemmings here... I finally choosed for the dragon only idea which will be I hope more original and odd

Old 09 September 2007   #32
Line Art or Model: Dragon`s strange behaviour / background study

A background study, let me know which one fits best.

Old 09 September 2007   #33
Line Art or Model: Dragon`s strange behaviour / background tutorial

Just a quick step by step on how I modeled the background. As I`m probably the last man on earth which is not using zbrush ;) I did all with the sculpt fucion in modo. In step 2 I made a simple twirl on Y axis to get this mountains twisted look :)

Old 09 September 2007   #34

Next try on the background... I will work on the rocks color to not make this "flesh" tones... I will go more in greys probably...

Old 09 September 2007   #35
great atmosphere loving it. It has a style to it! Keep up the good work!

Old 09 September 2007   #36
Ahhh

This is such a nice landscape! Looking very moody and ailen, that's a fast start, can't wait to see how the final lighting will look like..

Old 09 September 2007   #37
This is looking great, Maciej! The texturing is really beautiful - all that noise on the rocks and the glassiness of the crystals are fantastic. Can't wait to see how it looks with the dragon in it! Hope he won't be too noisy - it will be nice to have him pop against the background and not get lost. anyhow, guess we'll see... Good luck!

Old 09 September 2007   #38

Just added a fog... I`m thinking to make it higher and cloudy.

Old 09 September 2007   #39
Artisan-Hawks - thank you

Jeffparadox - thx, I`m not seeing how to improve more the lighting any ideas? As I want to keep an illustrated look more than photoreal the image will have certainly a flat apperence... but I hope to improve that with contrasts.

walrus - thank you for your kind words glad you like the textures. I will make the dragon enough contrasted to pop up from the image I`m thinking to make it in orange tones... still not sure if it not have to be green because he probably eats the crystals hahah

Old 09 September 2007   #40
Line Art or Model: Dragon`s strange behaviour / dragon model

Well.. meet Draco the psychotic dragon ;) I`m not sure if the brown colouring is placed right, especially under the head. Probably the green skin color should fit well in the scene. A green/orange palette will work well I think.

Old 09 September 2007   #41
Line Art or Model: Dragon`s strange behaviour / dragon model

Because it`s my last day before having alot of work to do I couldn`t resist to post a whole composition test with the dragon. Far from a finished picture you can see how it will look.

Hope to be back soon with next updates. And feel free to fire your comments. Thx.

Old 09 September 2007   #42

I have worked with many settings to achieve this "crystal look". The rock texture have alot of parametres like changing color on slope, displacemnt on slope etc.

Old 09 September 2007   #43
Hey!

Impressive crystals

Old 09 September 2007   #44
SEMSAHMER - Thank you

A small info: I just get modo 3.01 and I will soon start sculpting the dragon`s details
So updates coming soon!

Old 09 September 2007   #45
Hey Maciej, Draco is really great !! really nice model ! and that crystal are superb mate!!
Perhaps a more "neutral" colour instead of the brown in the inferior part of the body ( I think in a white tone with a blue note), because you have a lot of brown on nest and rocks, only a comment Again great work !!

Thread Closed share thread