Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Paul Davidson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2007   #31
Paperclip....it involved a conversation I had years ago with a friend. I'm into nature (as inspiration for idaes and my art) and we got onto the subject of pointless killing to sustain human life......domesticated hearding has been going on for thousands of years.........some animals we simply do not need to be killing, in the name of "the survival of the human race"

The preying on certain animals is unacceptable..........so we happened to bring up this subject that i'm illustrating..........the "why do you kill whales....?" point was raised.

There you have it..........it's something that popped into my mind when i read the brief...........I don't know!

Does that explain it, or am i waffling?

Paul

Old 07 July 2007   #32
Originally Posted by paulwdavidson: or am i waffling?

yes ...... but go with it, it's a cool and clever idea packed with irony, personally I think it hits the brief very well

Old 07 July 2007   #33
Thanks, mate.
Much appreciated.
Paul

Old 07 July 2007   #34
I really love the idea, but I think its quiet hard to understand the paradox in the picture. You should lead the attention of the viewer more to the important parts like the oilcan.

Old 07 July 2007   #35
Originally Posted by paulwdavidson: Paperclip....it involved a conversation I had years ago with a friend. I'm into nature (as inspiration for idaes and my art) and we got onto the subject of pointless killing to sustain human life......domesticated hearding has been going on for thousands of years.........some animals we simply do not need to be killing, in the name of "the survival of the human race"

The preying on certain animals is unacceptable..........so we happened to bring up this subject that i'm illustrating..........the "why do you kill whales....?" point was raised.

There you have it..........it's something that popped into my mind when i read the brief...........I don't know!

Does that explain it, or am i waffling?

Paul

That's an excellent explanation and I think you should include it with the final submission (if you go with this one, that is) as it makes the whole story make a little more sense. Your concept is very strong, as is your sketch. Now I'm all curious to see how this goes. I agree with the above guy- couldn't hurt to hint more at the conservation issue here, possibly having a 'ksave the whales' protest newspaper clipping covered in darts on the wall or something.

Old 07 July 2007   #36
Interesting points....it's very helpful to guage from people whether or not the point you are trying to get across is reading. I suppose after considering the point about the oil can not playing as big a part as it should (visualy) I'll emphasize it more in the next stage.
At this stage (with the core idea there for me to look at, and consider) I'll plan what to layer it with next, as far as visual elements to compound the idea, and tell the "story" more.

Thanks.

Paul

Old 07 July 2007   #37
well i think the idea is REALLY strong and thought provoking, its easy to connect the image to what you just explained i completely agree with theresa, your piece instantly gains unprecedented value with an idea that doesnt merely make you say aww or wow. you gots support. NOW DRAW DAMN YOU! hehe, i just want to see this piece further along!

any who cheers man ill be back.

Old 07 July 2007   #38
Great concept. And a truly sad topic. Even at such an early stage it causes an emotional reaction.

Old 07 July 2007   #39
Just browsing through this thread reminds me of 'Children of Men' with Clive Owens. I am a strong believer in the respect of what earth delivers us. There is more than enough food and we discard more than we consume. In my tradition, the Navajo believe in using everything that we kill. Skin for drums, blankets, clothing, Bones for weapons, for example. I tell you my tribe to assure you that I am what I claim. I am also a jigga man, hov! Pimp this piece out. I will enjoy seeing this one going to finished. Loved your Master and Servant piece Paul, by the way! It's gonna be interesting watching your process again. Good luck!

Old 07 July 2007   #40
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Usobuki Oil

Quick addition. I intended to submit the final line art as the next stage, but since i'm only going to have time for around 50mns a day, it would be forever between major submissions. So i'll post my baby steps.
As you can see from the last pose of the character, i've changed his angle so he's more engaged with the activity of oiling the harpoon.....siphoned from the Beluga whale. The oil can is more central to the composition as well.
More soon.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Paul

Old 07 July 2007   #41
Nice line art and shading so far, Paul. Looking good! One part that feels a bit awkward is the positioning of the left arm and hand. Try as I might, I can't get the back fo my wrist to touch my shoulder like that. And the hand seems turned away from us in a way that doesn't seem completely believable.. or even necessary. Perhaps rotating his hand and arm around so that the fingers are facing us more, bringing his elbow back behind him instead of at his side could help...? Anyhow, good luck with it, especially with what little time you have to spend. (although 50 minutes a day over 4 months is a lot of time when you add it all up!)

Old 07 July 2007   #42
Cheers, I fully intend to correct that. As soon as I did the drawing something was odd........i'll fix it at the next stage.

Paul

Old 07 July 2007   #43
except from what warlus said (that i personally might have missed), i think its looking very good... the mask kind of gives him the Jason or leatherface look... madness etc. that is...

keep it up

My online portfolio

Old 07 July 2007   #44
Cool

very cool project. great to see ya join another challenge, thou i enjoyed your works in those you were in. looking forward to your next 50 mins, best of luck, have fun and bring em on ^^
cheers

Old 07 July 2007   #45
Looking good so far, can't wait to see how it progresses. You're like me, working in stops and starts! Good luck!

Thread Closed share thread