Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Mark David

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2007
Talking

Hi Mark, you're done man, and it's looking fantastic!

You've come a long way, and this piece have been evolving in such a fun manner, it was a real pleasure to watch. You've got great 3D skills, and you're not afraid to use them for out-of-the-box ideas dude. What i love about your art is the non-mainstream approach you take on 3D: it's not photorealism, or the usual cartoony style that is barrowed from 2D. It's almost like these little fun toys you create, and the viewer can easily find itself surrounded by that colorful world while looking at your images. The twist to your story at the end, that you haven't mentioned before, just added one last fresh element to this entry. Now I'm looking at the image as if I've just discovered the real story behind it, even though I was watching it for a long time and knew the concept. Dead hippynaut is genious my friend, oh and, love your title too...

You are the master of delightful clutter, best of luck with the voting mate!

10 October 2007
Ferx
Thanks for your suggestions buddy, but this time I really will be calling this finished. I need to take a bit of a break before the next big job which starts pretty soon

SteevieWoo
Hey thank you mate! That was really nice of you. Thank you for all the fantastic comments and encouragement along the way

walrus
Thank you Mike. I really appreciate your honest and constructive opinions mate

varma
Hahah! Cheers buddy

Russel-Nash
Thanks Torsten. I'm looking forward to watching your air-borne octopus cross the finishing line

Jeffparadox
Thank you Jeff. I really appreciate your comments. I'm still very much finding my way in this field and yes, I do want to try something a bit different even if it means I don't always get it right. I like the fact that these challenges offer the kind of risk-taking that's not always possible if a client is paying for the job

10 October 2007
Mark, you made an amazing job and I'm still a fan of your work, more than yesterday and tomorrow, more than today !
I just have the feeling with this picture that you can do more with the background. Maybe adding some planets, rocks, something to give a depth to your picture...

10 October 2007
Totally awesome Mark. Your little story completes and pulls this picture together. It is hilarious and creepily surreal at the same time. It never occurred to me that this was a ghost ship! Great work and wonderful image.

10 October 2007
Awesome! It was a great pleasure to see the progress, wonderful idea and delicious text! But the same as on previous challanges - i think that there's not enough post-effects for you final image to make it really final and georgeuos. Anyway - thank you for such an interesting "journey"

10 October 2007
gpepper
Thank you for your very generous words. I'm sure you are right about the background. If my illustration style was more developed I would be able to create something quickly, but this image grows slowly because I don't even know yet how I want most things to look. Unfortunately I am now also tied up with another major external job and so that rules out the experimentation I need to see what works. But maybe next time...

soapy
Thank you mate. I really appreciate that. The ghost-ship idea kind of wrote itself, because at last I could explain the strange behavior in the cosmic rays and the vacuum, as well as the impression of the ship looking old and messy

ButchMakora
Thank you! You are very kind. Like I was saying to gpepper, if I had more time and if I had already properly developed my semi-cartoony 3D way of illustrating then I would definitely be wanting to push this image further. These challenges involve a huge learning curve each time I enter and that learning curve and all the experimentation involved is what eats up all the time. But I love that aspect of them. Maybe next time I can take things to the next level which you talk about

Last edited by mdavid : 10 October 2007 at 12:33 AM.

10 October 2007
hey mark! Congrats on finishing man! You came a long way and I enjoyed watching your progress. Good luck with your entry!

Need to hurry finishing mine....

WWW: AREA-56
BLOG: Chapter 56
SHOP: Prints

10 October 2007
A whole bunch of thumbs up! -->

I've not been as active as I wanted due to busy work schedule but I've been following your thread since day one and I must say you really pulled this one off with flying colors!

/Anders

10 October 2007
Sorry i havent been around lately to offer some critique Mark (too much work for school and the demoreel scenes) but i really think you made it just fine without me.... The final piece is wonderful... love all the details and its totally hippie... good luck with the voting buddy...

My online portfolio

10 October 2007
Mark,

(To be consistent with the hippy theme.) Far out man! Groovy …I really dig his gig! Wayyyy out.

OK. Congratulations and best of luck with your new 3d adventure.

10 October 2007
Goro
Hey thank you mate! That is much appreciated

Cartesius
Thanks Anders. Much appreciated buddy. Thanks for dropping by

icedeyes
Hey thank you George. That was a shame you weren't able to get the time to finish your entry - yours was shaping up as one of the most intriguing and haunting of all the entries, in my opinion - but I do understand that it's not always easy to find so much spare time. Good luck with your work and demoreel mate

Korendo
Haha! Thank you man for all the groovy vibes. That was far out cool. Peace!

10 October 2007
The best of all of your work: there´s no TV inside!!

Your idea has come greeeat and funny!Hope you´ve enjoyed it and, of course, I wish you amounts of lucks

Regards!

_Zalo.

10 October 2007
a really superb and funny entry from start to finish, Mark! You've certainly lived up to your reputation for detail! and nice touch, him being dead and blissfully unaware! congrats too on being NO 1 in number of replies!

10 October 2007
gG
Thanks mate! Yeah I had a lot of fun doing this one. Thanks for all your support along the way

shakes
Hey thanks John. Yeah, I didn't even know myself that the poor fellow was dead until I realised it explained an awful lot, ie: could he breathe or should he be wearing a helmet? How could he play music in a vacuum? How could he even sink into his chair without gravity? I mean, it's one thing to be doing strange behaviour, but another thing altogether to be doing so much impossible/lethal stuff. So that's how that came together. It's funny - as a cartoon those things didn't seem to matter, but once it took on the semi-real appearances of 3D I started being bothered by them

10 October 2007
Arrow

Oh hey! Just passing by, was at a nearby galaxy. Later dude!

Thread Closed share thread