CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Strange Behaviour (Model Render / Animation)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-29-2007, 02:33 AM   #46
r1-381
Frequenter
portfolio
casey barrett
Troy, USA

Final Render: final render

the final render requirement for the contest.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 AM   #47
r1-381
Frequenter
portfolio
casey barrett
Troy, USA

Shading (Textured and lit): random image

just posting an image from the animation. still working on it.
very happy about the deadline extension. i've been able to tweak a handful of things i wasn't happy with...as well as add a few things i didn't think i'd have time to do.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #48
r1-381
Frequenter
portfolio
casey barrett
Troy, USA

Shading (Textured and lit): screen

ok. i think i have everything pretty muched wrapped up. there may be one part of the audio i want to tweak before i upload the final animation. if i'm going to be real picky there are still a few sequences i would like to tweak....but not sure if there is enough time for that. overall, i'm pretty happy with the end result. will upload soon. can't wait to see everyone's final animations.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #49
r1-381
Frequenter
portfolio
casey barrett
Troy, USA

Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: freeFall DNA

just thought it would be fun to show you my amazing note taking skills. somehow, out of all that jumbled mess, i was able to put together a coherent (i think) animation.
also, i scanned the original sketch of the alien. he changed a little, made him a bit more menacing, i guess.
anyway.....

Old 11-13-2007, 04:35 AM   #50
r1-381
Frequenter
portfolio
casey barrett
Troy, USA

Shading (Textured and lit): shot

ok. i will be uploading the final animation early evening, tomorrow. i could tweak it for another 2 weeks if time allowed....but i guess we have to let these things go sooner or later.
for now, just another screenshot.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #51
dubbilan
Frequenter

portfolio
Lasse Juul Kolding
freelance interstellar correspondent
Denmark

There's a lot going on here. Just saw the clip with the flashlight, looks really good!
You overall shading of things, especially that cockpit and clothing and the various "things" like that, is amazing.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 PM   #52
r1-381
Frequenter
portfolio
casey barrett
Troy, USA

Final Render: stick a fork in it!

Software: After Effects,Illustrator,Maya,mental ray,Photoshop

strange behavior:
well, this is the finished entry for the strange behavior contest. i am fairly happy with the end result. very glad to have the extra 2 week extension since i entered the animation contest a bit late (mid september).

freeFall:

i've always been interested in the idea that there could be other life "out there" and the possibility that these lifeforms are interested in interacting with us. to me, the strangest thing that can happen in everyday normal life would be to be abducted by these creatures. so it is their behavior that is strange to me, because it is unkown. what do they want? why us? are we just dumb animals to them?
the underlying idea came from watching nature shows. i recall once seeing people in a helicopter tracking down a moose, tranquilizing him, studying him, and monitoring him with a tracking device after release. surely that animal thought he was being attacked by some alien lifeform.

sound:
i had a lot of fun with the sound editing as well. originally i wanted to make the music with propellerhead's reason, but decided that would take way too long. so indstead, i settled on using acid
pro, and a collection of royalty-free sounds, fx, loops, etc. i wanted the sound/music to be sporadic and appropriate to the situation...since this is a short animation and things happen quick, you'll notice the music changes quite a bit.

why a skydiver?
well, he originated from a 2d cartoon idea i had been messing with around the same time i decided to enter the animation contest. so i figured i might as well work from there since he was fresh in my mind.

i'm excited to have him in 3d and might make some more animation w/ him, too. the 2d freeFall cartoons can be seen at www.casey33.com/freeFall.html.

so i hope you guys enjoy my entry. i had a lot of fun working on it and can't wait for another contest to enter.
thanks to everyone who took the time to check out my thread during the days leading up to the deadline. i appreciate the feedback, critiques, support, etc.
casey

Play Video >>

Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #53
gpepper
The journey begins !

portfolio
Gilles Pfeiffer
instructor
French School of CG
Brie et angonnes, France

Excellent ! I like the story very much and the final is "hilarious". Stupid aliens...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 PM   #54
Nennad
Edge manipulator

portfolio
Nenad Pantic
illustrator
Greystones, Ireland

Well done Casey! It was interesting to see this work of yours growing more and more promising! I admit that I did not expected so advanced, exellent product at the end! Enjoyed it much!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:43 AM   #55
chocoski
rap
portfolio
ralph andres
lead texturer
Philippines

i really enjoyed watching ur entry! very nice job!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #56
DaddyMack
c r a z y . . .

portfolio
Rob Mack
Resident geek
Brainchild Digital
Sydney, Australia

Send a message via MSN to DaddyMack Send a message via Yahoo to DaddyMack
Dude! this turned out great! made me laugh a few times, especially the end Congratulations

toe2toe

my 3d prints

Old 11-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #57
r1-381
Frequenter
portfolio
casey barrett
Troy, USA

thanks.

i just want to say thanks to the handful of people who have taken the time to check out my entry. i appreciate your comments and critiques.

this contest is great. i've spent the last two days just checking out everyone's stuff. really fun to see this many completed projects in one place. there is some really amazing stuff by some of you guys and gals. i don't know what the judges are looking for, but they have some tough choices to make for sure.

i'm already excited for the next contest.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #58
JurajMolcak
Jr.

portfolio
Juraj Molcak
visual artist
Slovakia

wooo, this one turned out absolutely great. You nailed that "x-files on-ship atmosphere". And the point is just perfect. Like it a lot! Good luck.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #59
Maxter
Work-In-Progress

portfolio
Fabio Bautista
Character Modeler/Texture Artist
Bogota, Colombia

Thumbs up

I like the animation... pretty good music... you have done a great work
Congrats!!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #60
Maxter