Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Nenad Pantic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2007   #31
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: detailed storyboard

Okay i managed to write more detailed storyboard, which draws in some new elements - details in the story. Comments and critique are very wellcome,... also I am trying to connect the hen more tho the environment, so i did it with Captors picture on the wall...

Trickz: Thanks for checking in! Every word of support means lots to me, and I guess to everyone of us. Hardly that anyone of us can afford to work on this fulltime, so morale boost is allways appreciated!

Varma: Aye, as we get older and older, our meshes will be more reduced more and more low poly till we reach single polygon :) and start to claim that it is wonderous scene in that single one! :)

Precision is illusion :) . If any precision in the, I can say thanks (again) to my father, who is architect... I watched too much how he ponder in his plans on his enormous table, and draw very precise and accurate lines on transparent papper!

From the other side, listen to this: Last night when I had modeled that chucko clook. I even thought of putting little chicken to come out in full hour declaration. thats why I modeled central window open. But then I discovered that I dissolved very important vertexes around the window opening... so I could not carve the hole! I tried everything, to bridge to append mesh and reverse extrude the hole... to export cleanup and reimport, but I probaly frozed the surface for good, mrehehehehe....

Tnx for support anyway...! I will succeed or you can smite me with Miolnir! :)

Old 09 September 2007   #32
daymn buddy this is moving from strange to psykotic... i mean sorry to say this but i'm a bit disturbed by this story of urs... first I thought it was just a funny story abt a hen who cooks her eggs but now its turning into this serious thing where (if u c it from a human perspective) a mother kills her child... mmmm I guess its a good idea to think abt this thing a bit more...

Im really sorry if i was rude, it was just my honest opinion.

good luck!

Old 09 September 2007   #33
Overcontrast: Thanks for the comment! Yea I guess you are right, but anyway this larger story brings to light what the lite story hides; but in fact both of them are the same... only the larger version have more dramaturgy. Yea I pulled much of asociation on the family and emotions there... but I think it was unavoidable (for my thinking process), and I admit that it have much psyhodelic elements, in very dark meaning.

In fact it tells a "hidden" story of a woman who is in prison of her sins, and her captor is devil. She can break through, and free her self, but she choose to follow the path of gluttony and to continue being hedonistic, thinking of herself and her enjoyment, commiting kind of abortus. She struggles with herself a little, willing to change from evil to picture of family... but then she decided to enjoy the meal instead.

Strange behaviour in this should be that: she havent chosen natural and logical path of saving her future children. As the story ends in madness, it does not approve what she is doing. (I am personally gratly agains abortus).

If I can even more put that stream of my thinking in focus I would do it gladly...

Yet I do not know how much I am mistakeing by meeting or not meeting strict requirements of the contest, it says: "Entrants are required to bring to life Strange Behaviors in the most entertaining, humorous and emotive way"
Emotive it will be, thats for sure. Entertaining, to the some point. Humorous: also, to the some point (if I can achieve that animation will be humorous!).
Strange behaviour is present.
Only I am not sure about what you noticed, that disturbing element in it...

Looking for more opinions!

Old 09 September 2007   #34
sorry if i was offencive... but that was just my opinion... i personally would not like to hear or see a story where a parent kills her child thats all... and i dont really find the humor in this kind of story atleast it dosent go with a theme like "STRANGE BEHAVIOR" its meant to be fun, way far from serious and over all possitive (positiv enough to make the audience smile)...

thats just one man's say... u go ahead with ur idea, as an artist you have the lisence to be free..

Old 09 September 2007   #35
I apologize to everyone, this reply is rather long, but I let my thought stream flow freely ... you may sikip to last paragraph

Hmh, there is such thing as dark humour... for example as in british series "Black Adder" etc. you can laugh to death because you know it is not for real. Now if you start to think deeply of course that you can find disturbing things. We are watching - even let our kids watch - Tom and Jerry, where we have much of extreme violence, but because it is abstract and overpotented, and nobody really gets hurt, we approve it and laugh.
I will not try to pull the hidden story too much, though it is present. Maybe the storyboard formed in you head too violent sensations. I am planing to make this more funny with her movements and funny changes of her mood (I observed chickens and in fact they are acting very funny)...

Then again I stated from begining in my topic that it is an morbid hen, who likes to eat the eggs, and it is still a fable and nothing explicitely brutal will be present, as long as we accept that this is an fiction, not the truth...

I do not know the way to stay on this scenario and to avoid possible bad acossiations...

Sometimes you must make an overcontrast (!) to make some situations funny, but I agree that it can appear blunt to someone, like a blunt joke, which can make you laugh, in spite you know it is not good (positive). Then again personally i would never tell someone such a blunt joke, because it uses vocabulary and topic which generally i dont approve. Though I LOL-ed much on Borat movie, I guess I never filmed such movie... and if I am creating something too morbid, let me know.

At the end, I will quote again the contest introduction: "They (Strange Behaviours) also stimulate discussion – what one person finds funny another thinks is demented. "

It would be precious to me to hear what other people think: I take your opinion, Overcontrast, very seriously as an critique and would like to improve my story if anyone suggest me how. Maybe I was fooled because several people here told me that it is nice concept ? , or I am mistaken in interpretation...? Maybe the story will appear to sick to laugh ?

Old 09 September 2007   #36
Good evening Nenad!
I went through your storyline and I must say it's a very detailed story! I could estimate
that you will need around 15+ seconds to show all the pictures with some plausible
pauses for each one to have their effect! That is a huge workload and I wish you all the
best for realising this, cause you're gonna have your hands full, aside 11 hours work, two
kids and family!
Bon courage!

Old 09 September 2007   #37
Hey Varma, your view is too optimistic! I guess that whole thing, in spite of fast action, will be 1min at least long (I am not sure if I will proceed with 3d timeline visualisation, but for sure i will create a little Flash movie to get sense of the tempo), maybe even 2 mins, and more!
As you well noticed, this is like some freelance non obligatory job; if I see that I cannot make it I will shortent things a little, or simplify it. Ill see. I reckon that I can afford maximally 55-70 working hours for this project, withouth rendering time, and what can be done within that time, will be done..
And I think I should play more Rush from now on, not Creep (Warcraft I,II,III players will understand this )

Right now I am sitting back in a front of a computer dully (thinking both of my further impossible mission and scenario improvement), and I think i should get some rest and see some people, like my wife!

Old 09 September 2007   #38
Modeling: Iceberg

Just an quick pose test... i discovered that i have to polish skinning after i finish the props, also some part of the rig not finished yet... not to speak of the FEATHERS!
I guess I will stick with UV mapped feathers, keeping my character cartoonish...
Hope the ship will not chrash!

Old 09 September 2007   #39
the wing which points backward is strange, I think it's because of the elbow, it points forward, try a more human-like elbow pointing backwards. Now it looks kind of inverse.

The hen model is cool, I like her.

Mapped feathers on the body will be alright, but I would put real feathers on the tail.

Old 09 September 2007   #40
npantic I have read your storyboard. This story has a Medea style. Three years ago I see an oil picture of a woman that was cooking her baby. Her face was the face of a mad woman. She has a very interesting face. I don't remember the author. I think that one of the most important thing of this animation it is the facial expression of hen. I am interested to see the animation of the face hen when fry the egg.

I like wings (www.wings3d.com) to low modeling too.

Old 09 September 2007   #41
Hey Anya, thanx for comment! About her wings, well I followed Bird-like anathomy rig, but i admit maybe it looks strange because i will use wings as a hands, what suggests human anathomy. In fact, I have planned to show the hen as an ordinary "realistic" hen in the start, with chicken movements, and to use cartoonish humainoid movements after she lay eggs. That is still a plan, but I guess i will need her more for cartoonish animation. I will see what to do, and can I set up the rig that it can be used by both animation setups...
About the feathers - yes, that was my idea too in one moment (the tail looks to flat), but somehow it escaped me in my last thoughts- thanks for reminding me!

Fruela, tnx for visiting! About rhe storyboard: The main decision is will i show that she is aware wat she is doing, or is she consumes eggs like human. To the last scenario, she is aware, and that requires, as you well noticed, many expressions on her face. I am still meditating though, will I modify scenario and make her basically unaware of what she is doing.
BTW, I will create her facial expression using Blender shape keys. Also, i am abot to simplify her leg rig, because it dos not need so much accuracy, and work more on her face.

Old 09 September 2007   #42
Modeling: 5tons

I added 5tons heavy metal piece falling on the chicken after her ultimate madness... in the Monthy Pyton Flying Circus style ! :)
Also continued to work on environment, and did some cleanup to the chicken mesh, reading it for shape keys and UV mapping.

Old 09 September 2007   #43
Hey Nenad! The hen looks awesome, I like the expression in her face, but honestly, 5 tons of weight? Man, you are brutal!

Hehe, that would make a great ending to the animation, with a nice VFX sound effect and
maybe a camera vibration!
Can't wait to see the rest!

Old 09 September 2007   #44
5 tons is brutal ? I considered 500 kg but I came to conclusion that is not enough .
Yes camera trembling would be nice, and if I will have time there will be also some particles (dust) and scattered pieces of the ceiling around...
...and i plan one addition to the last scene (got idea just now)... to put bunch of little chickens bursting from the hole in the cieling ... (at least single one standing on the top of 5tons, if nothing)
I too cant wait to lay my hands on animation, but i still have few meshes to solve, not to talk about UV mapping! Though, i think Object are more-les simple and details are done in geometry - so I will not go in details there, or so i think

Old 09 September 2007   #45
Shading (Textured and lit): Assembling the bad mans and chickens room

Yesterday i finished some more meshes, like door, window, walls, wallpapers, chickens hat etc. and today i started to assemble things in the scene. This is wip, very early, but you can see that mood will be somewhat dark :) . Need to add more of those unsticking wallpapers, fix some seams etx. and then start to uv and place the furniture and prepare the scene...

Thread Closed share thread