Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Bobby Clayton

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2007
Shading (Textured and lit): Man Day

This is a shot of the Man in the daylight... the opening scene of the short will be during the day... briefly.

09 September 2007
Shading (Textured and lit): Man Pose

I've made a quick change to the man's glove. It is now a dark green... the original color got lost on his clothing and the building behind him.

09 September 2007
nice update, lighting lookng good.. but one thing kinda brushed my eye...

Originally Posted by quasiagent1: She was actually originally a comic book character included in the free models you can download (from CGTalk)

I think the challange rule clearly states that no contestents are allowed to use pre existing or third party models of eny sort... so just be care ful... were all here to learn, so if u think u can brush up ur modleing skills then ur in the right place... DIY man DIY!!

peace!

09 September 2007
Quote: no contestents are allowed to use pre existing or third party models of eny sort

I was concerned about this as well. From the beginning, I knew I couldn't do all of this from scratch (with what I wanted to do), by myself and by the deadline. I knew I needed to a) keep things simple and b) use what resources I had to make things easier on me to concentrate on animating... which as I stated before is the area of my weakness.

Anyway, I thought I had read the rules, and the FAQ's, to find out exactly what I could do. I thought I could use pre-existing models, so long as everything was carefully credited. This seemed a huge break to me, as I am used to the Hardcore Modeling Challenge Forum, where everything must be from scratch.

Here is what I found when I searched (again) the rules and FAQ's.

Quote: Entries may be inspired by and/or include a range of material from third parties. This is permissible as long as the finished entry is substantially a new work by the entrant(s). The appropriate use of this material in no way diminishes your finished work or the chances of winning. However, failure to correctly credit all inspirations, third party works, team members, actors etc will result in automatic disqualification.

Quote: Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now availble in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique.

These quotes are what make me think I am within the rules when I start with pre-existing models (for the characters). I have edited both to fit what I want, and most everything else in the scene is either my pre-existing work or something I've made from scratch.

IF I AM misunderstanding the rules, please do point this out! I will happily attempt to correct the issues presented! Thank your for pointing this out and making me double check... hopefully I am correct, but either way, I'm doing this for myself.

Prizes, however unlikely to receive, are still nice motivators however

Last edited by quasiagent1 : 09 September 2007 at 03:19 PM.

09 September 2007
then everything seems to be fine here.. i think i mentioned the previous challange rules... my mishhtake hehe....

09 September 2007
Well, aside from the initial panic attack, I appreciate the post. Being kept on my toes is never a bad thing.

09 September 2007
Hey man you've got some nice simple model designs here You have definitely succeded in giving this old hobo a very cartoonyish (another word for you) look. I'm looking forward to see them dance. May I suggest some graffiti on the walls.....and a bit more litter surrounding the old man ...the place looks a bit too clean for hobos to be living there. Goodluck mate

09 September 2007
Thank you blahblah. I agree that there is a definite lack of dirt and grime. I love the idea of graffiti, but since I am leaving almost all of my shaders without color... it might be a challenge to get that to look good. I'll give it a shot, but I may have to just add trash and the like.

09 September 2007
Hey guys, I've got an important question for anyone who might know. I'm reasonably sure that the resolution of our finished work has to be 300 dpi and at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high... I just did a test render of a single frame with no motion blur... and my very nice machine was only able to do it in 27 minutes.

It is obvious from this render that I need to punch up my textures... a lot of them are not great really close up (pixelated). That's really not a problem.

The problem is that I will most likely be getting very close to the maximum time alotted for this short. Say its exactly 3 minutes. That's 5,400 frames. I am only just now getting into animating. This project is due October 29th...

Does anyone know if the 300dpi/huge resolution apply to animations as well as stills?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations on speeding up renders? I know nothing about rendering in passes. I am currently rendering with mental ray (final gather/ray tracing/motion blur will all be applied).

Any help/advice y'all could give would be great.

09 September 2007
Okay, never mind... I completely misread the rules... the render requirements are really a lot better than I thought...

>panic attack over<

10 October 2007
Well, I'm just popping in to say that I am dropping out of the competition. I've had way too many other issues to put any time into the animation, and my understanding of final gather rendering wasn't up to snuff to take on this project.

Thanks to everyone who provided interest... I'll be continuing with the project when I can get the time again...

10 October 2007
that is too bad mate......i hope you'll upload it soon though.

11 November 2007
I like your work. It's realistic and the colour has an important meaning. Good luck!

11 November 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread