Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Bobby Clayton

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2007
Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Bobby Clayton

Bobby Clayton is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Shading (Textured and lit): Man Pose

07 July 2007
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Dirty Dancing: Hobo Nights

This will be the sketch I will be drawing my characters style from, though I will be making both characters considerably MORE cartoon-like.

07 July 2007
Modeling: Dirty Dancing: Hobo Nights

This is the start of the environment, as seen from the "average" person's perspective. Clearly, I am going a slightly twisted and simplistic route with the architecture.

Also, I tend to light things as I model them (since I am using final gather).

Last edited by quasiagent1 : 07 July 2007 at 05:53 AM.

07 July 2007
Modeling: Dirty Dancing: Hobo Nights

Here is the alleyway were most of the scene will be taking place. The sad and secluded home to the hobos.

07 July 2007
Theme

By the way, my story will focus on two hobos interacting in an odd way at late hours in the night.

Oddly enough, I will be drawing my inspiration from *gag* reality television... specifically, "So You Think You Can Dance?" Unless you watch the show week after week, most likely no one will guess which dance I will be drawing from, but if you do... shhhh!

Oh, and as a lasting note, I entered this competition because my weakness is animating characters in a realistic fashion... fluidity escapes me. So what better way to get over that issue than animating a dance routine, eh?

07 July 2007
Theme

[*Duplicate Entry*]

07 July 2007
Modeling: Hobos

Here are the hobos themselves. Both models are still pretty basic (I don't want to get TOO intricate). Both are surgically altered pre-existing models, and as such may still need some tweaking to Hobo-ify them better.

07 July 2007
I like the lighting you've got going in your environment. I think it really sets a good mood to the scene.

08 August 2007
Shading (Textured and lit): Man Texture Update

This is the rudimentary look that the Man will have in this animation. Like the surrounding structure, I am trying to keep the colors fairly bland/neutral, with the exception being his suspenders. Obviously, there are still some touch ups to be done here, but overall I think this is the look he will be going with.

BTW, the reason for such a long interval between posts is... my first ever Siggraph! Most awesomest experience ever!

08 August 2007
Awesome ,the graphics looks like it's from Wallace & Grommit

08 August 2007
nice idea... If I may convay my honest opinion then I would say the old guy's model mooks infinished.. as in he needs to be more refined, and the lady's model is a bit too much musculine, you might wanna soften her up. Also the bump map on the Old guys face makes it very ovious that its a bump map .. u kno... try looking at some referance images.

enough said... thats just my opinion... other then those i think some more attention to detail will make this a pretty good piece of work.... best of luck to ya mate!

08 August 2007
like it so far, a bit simple specialy your models by overall the work is good.

08 August 2007
Well, I actually am going simple on purpose. Do you think it (the modeling) is too simplistic? I agree with the woman, she is far too muscular. She was actually originally a comic book character included in the free models you can download (from CGTalk). She was still in need of cartooning (its a new word) up anyway, so I will most likely be reducing her definition and upping her cartooniness (another new one . Also, her dress is a syflex dress, so once it conforms to her body and animates, she should look much better (looks very potato sack-ish at the moment).

As to the bump map, bear in mind that this character was a pre-existing one as well, including his bump map (for the skin). However, I have modified the facial features, so some odd wrinkles might appear stretched randomly. Is there something specific about the bump map that just sticks out?

Thank you all for your feedback... hopefully more updates soon.

08 August 2007
Originally Posted by quasiagent1: Well, I actually am going simple on purpose. Do you think it (the modeling) is too simplistic?

It works for me. There's no problem with having simple models and focussing more on the animation. Just look at some the incredible short films that Pixar has made. No, I really like the look of the man. As you say, the woman needs some "cartooning", but it looks like this is really coming together. Best of luck to you.
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

09 September 2007
Shading (Textured and lit): Man Pose

This is just a brief pose test... though this is actually how the whole short will start.

Thread Closed share thread