Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Rick Davidson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2007   #61
Shading (Textured and lit): Shot sequence

Hey thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated.

Wow Anna had a look at your portfolio, great work. You have exactly the feel I am trying to portray, working 'large' on a small scale. Lovely work, thanks for the comment.

You're so right Nenad, the walk cycle is all screwed up for the character and the weight. I'm still learning the art haha. With the rush I built a very rough rig (BAD idea) which ended up being hard to pose. Dunno if I should go and rebuild...I'm tired!

Yes New Zealand is a creative place, small, we have maybe 4-5 million people, and Lord of the Rings basically turned the whole country into a Hollywood set. Everyone knows someone that played an Orc or rode a horse in the battles. It really kicked off the effects industry and Jackson has been great in building on that.

Thanks again Gilles, I'm embarrassed of the mistakes compared to pieces like yours, but new to this, have learned a LOT.

This is a breakdown of some of the scenes. ...hmm should I rebuild that character or not eek...

Imagination is more important than knowledge
- Albert Einstein. ~ I live HERE

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Old 10 October 2007   #62
Originally Posted by Trickz: Thanks again Gilles, I'm embarrassed of the mistakes compared to pieces like yours, but new to this, have learned a LOT.

Are you kidding ? You do a great job, you don't have to be embarrassed ! I hope to see the final piece very soon !

Old 11 November 2007   #63
it looks pretty well... nice composition and good effects. I like camera angles and tracking movement

Old 11 November 2007   #64
Phenominal work!!

Old 11 November 2007   #65
Wow thanks guys. This was a lot harder than I expected! Would have just had it finished for the 1st deadline, but needed to take a break. Will get in and wrap it up now. First time I've tried anything like this, have learned a lot, the best part has been watching everyone elses work come together. Lot of talent here

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Old 11 November 2007   #66
Shading (Textured and lit): Flight of the Victory

Software: Flash,FreeHand,Maya,mental ray,Photoshop

Well this is 'almost' the finished entry - you'll notice a glitch or two which I'll iron out shortly - just want to make sure I won't have problems uploading ;)

This has been quite a journey. I haven't had any experience putting something together of this length and complexity. I did a huge amount of research which I don't have time to upload in any format. Sadly the final is still pretty rough around the edges but time is up. I've learned a lot and it's been great rubbing shoulders with the talented artists in this competition. Thankyou to you all :) Now I just want to take a break for a while ;)

The storyline

It could be the not too distant future. Man has wrecked the environment with nuclear war and toxic waste, and the land is barren and dead. Nothing seems to live, maybe even mankind has perished. But in this radioactive environment, new life is born. And it wants to explore...

Play Video >>

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Old 11 November 2007   #67
v

that is pretty slick. you have some great creativity in your models. the animation where he locks the latch on his ship's compartment is really nice. good, appropriate music, too. would love to see what happens next.

really like your hi-res image, too. looks like a real movie poster.

as far as your glitches....looks like after effects can't find a file or two.

good stuff, though.

Old 11 November 2007   #68
Good building design. Good work.

Old 11 November 2007   #69
excellent finish Rick!

I love ur camera work, and the music sets the mood very well. Well done, hope this piece fills ur portfolio nicely and opens more doors for u

l8r

THE HEIST // SPECTACULAR 3D
WISH LIST // MASTER AND SERVANT CHALLENGE

Old 11 November 2007   #70
Bad upload

Bad upload - delete ;)

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Last edited by Trickz : 11 November 2007 at 01:59 AM.

Old 11 November 2007   #71
Bad post

Sorry bad upload - delete ;)

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Last edited by Trickz : 11 November 2007 at 01:58 AM.

Old 11 November 2007   #72
Final Render: Flight of the Victory

Software: Maya,Photoshop

And the final - with a few manic behind the scenes clips on the end.

Wow I can't believe this is actually finished. This has been quite a journey. I haven't had any experience putting something together of this length and complexity. I did a large amount of research, sourcing and shooting video and photography.

I knew time would be a factor and I decided to choose between a short quality animation or a story with a bit of detail. The instructions helped, saying the story and emotive impact was primary. So the storyline became the focus, and a lot of work! So apologies for the rough animation, I just didn't have the time to fine tune.

I've learned a lot and it's been great rubbing shoulders with the talented artists in this competition. Thanks to you all for your inspiration :) Now I just want to take a break for a while ;) Ok well maybe until the next challenge... Thanks again everyone.

The storyline

It could be the not too distant future. Man has wrecked the environment with nuclear war and toxic waste, and the land is barren and dead. Nothing seems to live, maybe even mankind has perished. But in this radioactive environment, new life is born. And it wants to explore...

Play Video >>

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Last edited by Trickz : 11 November 2007 at 03:29 AM.

Old 11 November 2007   #73
You have done such an amazing job Rick!!! I LOVE this animation very very much. Very compelling!!! Your concept, and overall design is noteworthy to say the least. You have a great piece here that can go MILES!!! I wish you all the best with the challenge and with everything in your life!

Old 11 November 2007   #74
Excellent ! you are a great artist Rick ! this is a great entry ! I like your style very much !

Old 11 November 2007   #75
Thanks for your comments guys, means a lot. Just been great to hang with you talented peeps for a while.

Pepper - love your work too, I think we have similar tastes

Hiun - Thanks heaps, I did have much higher hopes for this. I had a pet I couldnt use and the ship was meant to have a crew. Maybe one day. I am considering developing the whole world further and seeing where it goes. Their whole adventure is already mapped out in my mind. Can you imagine how huge and dangerous radioactive spiders would be? haha

Versiden - well what can I say, you set a high standard... *&$#@.. haha congrats mate, awesome work, I'll see you around.

Maxter - I was worried we were going to end up with the same name haha, we both had similar ideas huh? Your entry is great, awesome character and gear.

Been fun, but I haven't slept much lately. Time for a nap. Good luck all.

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Thread Closed share thread