Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Rick Davidson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2007
Ship is magnificant! Hope you will have time to have great characters too... great potential and so little time...

10 October 2007
Thanks Alvin, Npantic, loving your guys work! Yes time is my enemy, I doubt I will finish by deadline but will give it a shot. The ship came up better than I'd hoped, and the more dynamics I add the more life it has. I love when you run it back and go wow! I love Maya. Character blendshapes are done, I'd hoped to have a crew but due to time it's going to be a solo effort haha. Big ship for one mushroom! Back in a day or two with a test render.

Imagination is more important than knowledge
- Albert Einstein. ~ I live HERE

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

10 October 2007
Shading (Textured and lit): The builder - rigged and rendered

Well here's my main character - or Fungie ;) The builder and flyer of the ship (hopefully, given time). The concept is a mushroom that's grown in nuclear waste and mutated. Plenty of things I'd like to fix but I'm just going with it now.

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

10 October 2007
Hey Trickz, I see we are all dealing with same problem: little time for our great visions . And other obligations too! Not to mention that what we are doing now is something most complex - creating everything on your own, something that normally few people would do! Thats why everything cannot be done as we want. But i hope that result will be satisfying.

Mushroom men looks good enough for the time given... proceed quickly to the next step! Good luck!

10 October 2007
Hey Trickz, I see we are all dealing with same problem: little time for our great visions . And other obligations too! Not to mention that what we are doing now is something most complex - creating everything on your own, something that normally few people would do! Thats why everything cannot be done as we want. But i hope that result will be satisfying.

Mushroom men looks good enough for the time given... proceed quickly to the next step! Good luck!

10 October 2007
Yes you're right Nenad, too much to do for one person when you have a lot of other things on the go. Dissapointing, a lot of things I won't get done. But hopefully enough to complete the project. Yours is looking great.

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

10 October 2007
Shading (Textured and lit): Render test - Ship

Software: Maya

Just testing out the uploader :) An overhead shot of the scene

Play Video >>

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

10 October 2007
Shading (Textured and lit): Blooper ;)

Software: Maya

Well I've been pretty disapointed in myself - I've been pushing the time limit so hard I haven't had a chance to post updates. I haven't even seen my animation yet apart from wire frame play blasts - basically I'm rendering one frame for the visual, then letting it run! I won't see the full piece until practically deadline! But this is for fun, haha. It's screwed me up on time, I'll have to re-do. But made me laugh. Get in there!

I'm looking at an all-nighter to even get close ;)

Just have to say has been just great watching you guys work. This is my first attempt at an animation of any size, has been HELL, but watching the quality you all are putting out has been amazing. Been a pleasure.

Play Video >>

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

10 October 2007
Hi Trickz, really excellent stuuf you got in there, very nice an complex animation, with very warm feeling to it...! Allmost like I can feel live experience (like you interpreted something, an Grandfather working whilst his grandson is playing near...). You have great talent for animation...best luck in finishing this!

10 October 2007
Damn, it could be cool if you finish it !
The animation is great and I am a fan of the style you gave to all this stuff !

10 October 2007
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: First draft - section one

Software: Maya,mental ray,Photoshop

Well! Extension deadline, that has turned things on it's ear. I was planning on a couple of all nighters to finish!

I'm busy compiling corrected shots and reanimating a few sections but thought I may as well put up my first test draft - warts and all - missing frames, bad timing, rendering errors, the lot ;) This is about the first third - I really wanted to flesh out the characters and environments more but no time. As said, plenty of mistakes but I hope you like the direction :)

Play Video >>

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

10 October 2007
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: First Draft - section 1

Hmmm, didnt include the video - re-post..

Well! Extension deadline, that has turned things on it's ear. I was planning on a couple of all nighters to finish!

I'm busy compiling corrected shots and reanimating a few sections but thought I may as well put up my first test draft - warts and all - missing frames, bad timing, rendering errors, the lot ;) This is about the first third - I really wanted to flesh out the characters and environments more but no time. As said, plenty of mistakes but I hope you like the direction :)

And thanks Nenad, Gilles, love both of your pieces, awesome work :) Good luck!

Play Video >>

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Last edited by Trickz : 10 October 2007 at 01:58 PM.

10 October 2007
very good work
the beginning, with that music, is just perfect.

10 October 2007
Hi Trickz...! Watched your movie, and very much liked the feeling of the underworld! - feeling of space is really great. Also, nice compositing , camera, and developing of the story... pitty that it is low res preview. Ship have many of great details.

I am more fond to the movement of the mushroom man in the part where he puts the crystal in furance. He moves like older grunt man. But... in his walk cycle when he walks towards the ship, he walks like young man, and his stature is like young "rap" man... also you have some issue with unexpected move with ankle... In fact... he carries the crystal firstly as it is light, and then he puts it down like a great weight... I liked more heavy weight animation! Just my opinion...!

Keep the fantastic work and... I wonder I noticed much people are from New Zeeland... is that flourish of 3d product of Peter Jackson Industry there? New Zeeland seems like end of the world to me.

Cheers, great work!

10 October 2007
Clean work Rick ! Nice to see more of your work !

Thread Closed share thread