Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Selina Moore

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2007   #1
Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Selina Moore

Selina Moore is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Modeling: Miss Gore model in progress...

Old 07 July 2007   #2
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Miss Gore Takes Tea

Hi All! Not sure if i'll have time to do anything more than just this concept sketch for this challenge but am hoping to find the time somehow as this is such a great challenge concept! Dont have the internet at home and am busy at work during the day so it could be a tricky one!

Ok so the concept came about cos ever since the 'Journey Begins' challenge, ive been quite amused by the concept of animals in human situations. Its the kind of thing you might see in a work by Michael Sowa, or Edward Gorey, where the subjects gaze knowingly back at the viewer, and animals have a look of intelligence to them, but arent necessarily anthropomorphized. It gives an incredible weirdness and off kilterness to the subject. Ive been knocking this idea around for a while basically, but just havent had a chance to do it, so want to give it a go and hopefully get across the weird vibe of this bizarre other place i have in my head...

I came up with the idea after seeing an article on the internet about someones pet anteater- 'Teddy'. The image basically came to me when i saw a picture of Teddy drinking out of a teacup. You can check it out at:

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/master.html?http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/editors_pick/1954_01_pick.html

And i immediately had the idea jump into my head from that image, of Teddy being received for tea by a young lady...

I knew she had to look very period -so im aiming my character to look like a hybrid of Dominique Blanc and Gillian Anderson. She'll be looking fairly lasciviously at the viewer as she eats her crumpets with honey, and the ants from Teddy's teacup will be climbing out and scurrying around the tabletop and over the food...

The image is merely a concept sketch and not an indication of style or colour (also please ignore the somewhat dodgy anatomy of Miss Gore -its a very rough sketch!). Last time round i nailed the image down fairly far before i got started. This time i want to leave a little room for suprise in its visual development...

So cheers everyone and good luck!

Old 07 July 2007   #3
Hi Selina

Great to see you back again and good luck. I plan to do an entry myself soon.

Old 07 July 2007   #4
Hey Martin!

Great to see you too! I certainly hope you do join the challenge -looking forward to your next piece!

Old 07 July 2007   #5
I love anteaters. Such strange looking animals. This will be fun to see animated I think!

Steampunk Myths n Legends

Old 07 July 2007   #6
Thanks for the comment digital-bobert! Yes hopefully i'll get to try out some nice subtle details in the animation. Must say i love the wierdness of anteaters too!

Old 07 July 2007   #7
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Miss Gore sketches

Ok should have got these up ages ago -some sketches of Miss Gore...

Old 07 July 2007   #8
I love second one from left in top row! So this is your thread, funny and strange concept for sure Sel! Hope you will find time to finish this. Me as well fighting with time schedule, but as fellah said "its called challenge for a reason" Good luck!

Old 07 July 2007   #9
Good stuff, Selina. I like the two small ones almost in the middle at the bottom. Hope this makes sense...

I finally started my entry myself

Old 07 July 2007   #10
Modeling: Miss Gore model in progress...

Thanks for the comments guys! I've tried to model something thats similar to the overall vibe of the skectches, and retain some of the key details such as the heavily lidded eyes and very strong nose. Want her to be a strong looking character, aesthetically lying somewhere between ugly and extremely saucy!

Still lots to do though -the areas ive mostly concentrated on so far are the face and shoulders -though they still need plenty more work too!

Old 07 July 2007   #11
I like the level of stylization you have reached with this character, pretty close to
your sletch! I'm sure the hair will finally nail the likeness and all!
Perhaps the clavicles are a bit to close to each other, or I might be wrong!
The shoulder area, neck, and the height of her are spot on thus far!
Keep up!

Old 07 July 2007   #12
Thanks for the very helpful comment Varma!

I did bring them in quite close as part of the stylisation, but i think i agree with you -something seems a bit off in that area. Not sure whether theyre simply too sharp, or moving them slightly further apart is the solution, but certainly im going to work on the detail in that area this weekend and see what i come up with...

Have a productive weekend everyone!

Old 07 July 2007   #13
Nice beginning, Selina I'm sure I could have guessed, it was your work. You have a certain modeling style and colorization.

Old 08 August 2007   #14
Looking good Selina!

Steampunk Myths n Legends

Old 08 August 2007   #15
Love this style very gothic like. Reminds me of Corpse Bride just more Victorian.

Thread Closed share thread