Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Mathias Varaste

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2007   #31
mac

Quote: .... I understand why the fish went to shore!!!

That comment really takes the cake!!! But I have bad news, these were the youngest
amongst the female inhabitants, I have three more who are more middle-aged and olderly!
Just to get the right sense of variety, I guess!
I didn't know "Linda" means anything special, cool to know that! I would choose that name
for my first daughter!

fgdf

Thanks a lot for the critique! And I agree with you about the flatness! I didn't have the
AO pass ,color correction, or the proper lighting rigged, except for the first character,
cause I yet am not sure about the overall lighting of the scene!
Two thigs are sure, that the light emitted from fire will play the most significant role, and
then there are rays of light piercing through psychadelic clouds in the sky, still don't from
which direction!
Most of these will be settled after I have placed and lit the fish, Cause I need to show
off the wetness and specular play on the skin in a descent lighting setup!
Thanks for the headsup, though!

Old 07 July 2007   #32
Yipppi, I'm on page three now!

Old 07 July 2007   #33
I'm really liking the poses of your characters -very fluid with lovely lines -and im totally getting the feeling of movement from them -a hard thing to pull off!

Old 07 July 2007   #34
Thank you Selina! I think painting weight maps was a real hard job, took me several days
to paint, but in the end, it started to pay off! Hope I can be that lucky with the rest of
the characters!

Happy weekend all!

Old 07 July 2007   #35
The posing of your characters is excellent - they really do look like they're dancing. Keep up the great work

Old 07 July 2007   #36
Cheers Mark and thanks!
Somehow, I knew it right from the begining, that this thread would turn out to becoming your favorite in 3d/anim section, you are just too proud to admit it!

More cheers and a few cherries!

Last edited by varma : 07 July 2007 at 04:39 PM.

Old 07 July 2007   #37
Shading (Textured and lit): Sea and Sky

Sea and Sky!
In my sketch, there are a few shark tales visible in the sea, I haven't added them yet, maybe I wait towards the end of the project to see if they still serve their purpose!
Thanks for watching!

Old 07 July 2007   #38
Originally Posted by varma: Cheers Mark and thanks!
Somehow, I knew it right from the begining, that this thread would turn out to becoming your favorite in 3d/anim section, you are just too proud to admit it!
Yeah, pride always getting in the way eh?

Your sea and sky layout looks like it should work well

Old 07 July 2007   #39
Shading (Textured and lit): Shader tweak!

I wasn't quite happy with the overall color scheme thus far, so I decided to change the sea shader and then the sky colors! I think this version suits better for the atmospheric feel I was looking for! The seaweed along the shoreline is also removed, so I will need to come up with something new! Sharks are still in the deep, perhaps time to bring them up to the surface now! The sand mesh and texture are still untouched!
Have a nice weekend!

Old 07 July 2007   #40
Hei Mark and thanks for the comment!
I've had a tough time building the right shader for the sea, still not quite there, There is
obviously something missing there and I can't seem to find it! Might give it a couple more
days and see!
Pride is good, Pride is nice!

Old 07 July 2007   #41
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Fish ' n ' Chips

Fish wireframe, last take!
It's totally based on the sketch and no actual fish species, cause I didn't use any ref. image for it.
The sketch was drawn in posed and tilted to the side position, so I made the mesh based on that specific angle, It might not neccessarily look good in Orthographic views!

Old 07 July 2007   #42
The fish looks great. It looks sufficiently real to be believable but sufficiently strange too. Nice work! I guess with the water, it should show a bit of transparency along its edges. I once wrote an explanation about how I got that effect by merging a couple of rendered layers in Photoshop and I put it on my website here. I'll add that I wrote it in extremely general language so that kids could understand it. Therefore it lacks technical detail, but maybe it will give you some ideas. You could also add some foamy white bits along the edges, perhaps also in Photoshop post work

Old 07 July 2007   #43
Hi Mat my friend!

Your beach and fish are becoming more and more cool... I'm really impatient to see the fish after you sculpt it out...

Maybe you could start selling tickets to us so we can go in and enjoy the beach party... I always loved fish... or the dancers... mmm...

Be cool northern brother

Old 07 July 2007   #44
Cheers Mark! Thanks for the comment and support! Sufficiently real/sufficiently strange
combo is exactly what I was looking for when I sketched the beast, plus I wanted to add
a bit of dreaminess also, which I hope with help of texturing, I can achieve that!
Thanks a lot for the link and tut, just what I needed to hear, although I have been trying
to stick to procedurals all the time, I might need to add transparenciy and foam along the
shore line manually! Thanks for the tip!

Yo mac! Thank you buddy! You don't need a ticket, you already ARE in the scene, the one
on the buttom right, taking off with ... ! You will see!
Ehem, I gave you a bit bigger biceps, but in return, I had to change your haircut to match
the rest of the "Composition"! Hope that's ok with you!

Old 08 August 2007   #45
COOL!!!

Can't wait to see me... I always look good, remember!!!

Be cool man!

Thread Closed share thread