CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Strange Behaviour (Model Render / Animation)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Vikram K. Mulligan

Vikram K. Mulligan is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Render: The Biscuits
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Brainstorming

I've had a few ideas so far:

--A CGI tribute to Chuck Jones, showing a 3D "Michigan J. Frog" climbing out of his box, croaking, then bursting into the "Michigan Rag". Upside: absolutely hilarious for anyone who's seen the cartoon. Also, the visual gag might be even greater if the frog is completely photoreal until it starts singing and dancing. Downside: I don't know if I'm enough of an animator to do it justice. I'd also worry about intellectual property issues (though I'd be careful to cite "One Froggy Evening" as my source of inspiration). I probably couldn't use the "Michegan Rag" soundclip unless I re-recorded it myself.

--A janitor in a modern library polishing the floors, shutting off the computer terminals, then sneaking off to the dusty, rarely used stacks to -- gasp -- pick up a physical book and read it! I've actually got some ideas for fleshing this one out with a bit of a story... Could be more poignant than funny. I don't know how long an animation I want to do, though. After all, I need to render this thing out at the end.

--A computer animator struggling to get a rendering right, fighting with his/her software, until he/she finally gives up and paints on the screen (with physical paints) to fix the rendering...

--A flying saucer abducting a farmer's chickens, and completely ignoring the farmer...

Thoughts? Ideas?
Eon animation and still.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

A better idea

I'm now thinking that I'll animate a scene described by Douglas Adams in Last Chance to See (and also used in So Long and Thanks For All The Fish). Apparently Adams was in a train station and he bought a package of biscuits and a newspaper. He sat down at a table to wait for his train, and was astonished to see the man across from him reach over, open Adams' package of biscuits, and eat a biscuit. Adams gave him a look and ate a biscuit himself. The man looked back, and ate another one. They went on like this through the whole package. Finally, the man got up and left. Adams watched him go, then picked up his newspaper to leave himself -- and found his package of biscuits underneath.
Eon animation and still.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Modeling: Initial Modelling -- The Thin Man

I know it's poor form to start modelling before concept sketches, but I had some ideas as to how my main characters should look, and I wanted to get started right away. I'll post some sketches soon, though. Basically, I plan to have a thin man (the "protagonist", who sits down with the biscuits and newspaper) and a fat man (the "antagonist", who apparently starts stealing biscuits). This is the initial "thin man" model. I'm going for a stylized look instead of strict photorealism, so rather than model a naked figure and do a cloth simulation to drape the clothing, I'm simply going to model the clothed figure.

Incidentally, I'm using Wings 3D for the modelling. I'm planning to use Maya 7.0 for scene setup, and Mental Ray for rendering. (Though I might go with 3Delight and/or Aqsis again... I'm still not 100% sure).
Eon animation and still.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Sketch -- The Fat Man

Here's a quick sketch of the fat man. I think I'll aim for bushier eyebrows, and smaller, shiftier eyes that are either very black or very pale blue. I don't want him to be excessively obese. He should just be plump. Think "European fat" instead of "American fat".
Eon animation and still.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Modeling: The Fat Man

Here is the finished model of the fat man, done in ZBrush. I'm still working on the textures, and I have yet to do the hair, the moustache, and the hat.
Eon animation and still.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #7
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

I've been away from my computer for a few days, but I've taken the time to get a hand-drawn storyboard done. I'll post it very soon.
Eon animation and still.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:02 AM   #8
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: "The Biscuits" Storyboard

Here's part 1 of the storyboard for the animation I'm planning to do. This will require a fair bit of rendering time, so I'm going to have to try to optimize my scenes...

The basic plot is as I've outlined before: a thin man buys a package of biscuits and sits down on a park bench next to a fat man. The thin man sets down his biscuits and a newspaper he was carrying, then adjusts his briefcase for a moment. He turns back to his package of biscuits to see the fat man open it, take a biscuit, and eat it. Astonished, the thin man takes a biscuit himself and eats it very deliberately, glaring at the fat man. The fat man glares back and eats another biscuit. This goes on, back and forth between the two character, until the fat man eats the last biscuit. He then tosses the package in the recycling and gets up to leave. The thin man watches him go, annoyed, then picks up his newspaper -- to discover his own package of biscuits underneath, explaining the fat man's "strange behaviour".
Eon animation and still.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: "The Biscuits" Storyboard -- Part 2

Here's Part 2 of the storyboard.
Eon animation and still.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Shading (Textured and lit): Fat Man Textures

I'm working on the Fat Man's textures, now. Here's some preliminary work on his sweater. I photographed one of my father's old sweaters, and used that as my base texture. I'm going to add a more interesting pattern. This image is rendered without the displacement map that will give the model much of its detail. Right now, some texture seams are visible, but I'll be cleaning these up soon.
Eon animation and still.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:08 AM   #11
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Shading (Textured and lit): Fat Man -- textured

Here's the model with the final texture and displacement maps. I'm not trying for photorealism, but I will be improving the surface material a bit more.
Eon animation and still.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #12
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Shading (Textured and lit): Fat Man -- Final Shader

Here's the final shader for the fat man. I added a bump map and separated the skin's specular shading from that of the clothing. I'm not going to bother with subsurface scattering; as I said before, I'm not going for strict photorealism.
Eon animation and still.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
jayf
Veteran

portfolio
Jean-François Barthélémy
Character designer / Visual Development
freelance
Paris, France

i like this story because this is funny and you'll need to show subtle acting (i hope ;p) to make it understandable.
But i think the fat man should be more fat, because this is a caricatural scene (the thin, the fat, with a gag in the end) well that's my opinion.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #14
Nennad
Edge manipulator

portfolio
Nenad Pantic
illustrator
Greystones, Ireland

Very good choice to pick Adams for the strange behaviour contest, he is the king of it! And good model too! (go go wings3d force! ) Other than that, I agree with jayf that he should be even fatter. Also i think his mouth and nose maybe needs some more little modulation (especially mouth - looks a bit flat).
Can you possibly lit the face from the front ?

Old 09-03-2007, 05:30 AM   #15
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Thanks for the comments, Jean-François and Nenad. I guess I could have made this character a bit heavier. My main reason for avoiding too much body fat is that I haven't done a whole lot of character animation in the past, and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to deal with the technical challenges of animating fat. As you said, Jean-François, it will take subtle animation (especially in the faces) to tell this story properly, so I don't want to compound the challenge too much.

You're right about the lack of detail in the mouth, Nenad. The character will be getting a moustache shortly, though, which is part of the reason I didn't model more detail there. I think once I set up my morph shapes, the mouth will start to look more "mouthlike".
Eon animation and still.

Thread Closed share thread