Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Juraj Molcak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2007   #16
Quote: I found this: Individuals are allowed to enter in both Illustration and Animation categories. The main reason for allowing this is to permit a Matte Painting artist who does a lot of 3D work to submit their finished Matte Painting in the Illustration category and the 3D textured models in the Animation category. However Individuals are also allowed to make completely separate entries in both Illustration and Animation categories if they wish.

That is just great! I hadn't seen that part - it will solve my concearns as well. Thanks for digging it up

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 06 June 2007   #17
hey Gunnie, that´s great it helps you. But I still do have a lil mess here. So far I understand it this way:
Animation category - doesn´t really metter how huge is your project. The focus is on character animation.
Illustration category - old school category, where is no difference between 2D and 3D entry. All in one.
Open category - you have to make special WIPs to show the work to be focused on ( turntable, vfx breakdown, textures... ). And you have to attache those WIPs footages after your final animation footage is finished. So afterall, you will have one video containing character animation final movie + ie. turntable + textures...

Old 06 June 2007   #18
To make it even more clear, this is what MarkSnoswell wrote:

You don’t have to do a 'making of' documentary to be eligible for the Open Categories -- but it is highly recommended. Conversely, if you are only interested in the Open Categories then your whole entry will be a silent 'making of' documentary style.

If you are planning to make a great character animation here is what I recommend:

1. Title sequence -- no longer then 10 sec.

2. Character animation - include music, dialogue, sound effects and anything else to make it as good as possible. -- 30 sec - 3 min in length ( I think he did a lil mistake here, and it suppose to be 30sec - 2 min in lenght for animation category )

3. Credits.

4. "making of' sequence made up of as many 10-30 sec segments as you want to show off:

Modeling -- turntable, fly-arounds, close up. white shader with ambient occlusion.

Texturing -- turntable starting with checker UV mapping and texture build up to full texture and finish with texture under different lighting conditions.

Lighting etc...

Remember these are just my recommendations, not requirements. The reason for recommending you doing it this was is that you show off your finished work first -- in the best possible and most entertaining way. You need to be focusing on telling a really good story that people will be totally absorbed in. If you succeed in this then people will come away with the impression of "wow -- that was great" but they will not focus on any of the technical aspects like the modeling, texturing etc... if they do, that's bad. It means they lost interest in the story you were telling and started looking at the technical details instead.

Now -- once your show piece is out of the way and the credits have run you can put in you 'making of' sequences. If you do this well it will really impress people just how much work you did and how it added to the overall impact of the story without being obvious.

As a guide you should look at short films submitted to SIGGRAPH and other similar organizations -- see what people do to show of their work. Note how long animations are and what works. Note how modeling, lighting and effects shots are demonstrated in the effects and other categories. Many DVD's also have great making of material on them. Look at everything you can and really pay attention to what works and what doesn’t. Then try to copy the best and avoid the worst. Finally and most importantly -- look at your own work with fresh and critical eyes and be prepared to edit and change it to make it better.

Old 07 July 2007   #19
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: stretchy sketchy

Had a lil time of sketching again. Playing and tweaking around "the house" idea.

Old 07 July 2007   #20
nice sketch!

Old 07 July 2007   #21
Yeah, your sketches are cool and stylised ! I can remember the style of your entry in "journey begins".
Sure you have the talent of a great artist !
Keep going !

Old 07 July 2007   #22
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: characters sketchy

So far it looks like I will need to animate/pose more than one character. Therefore I decided to find the way of universal character. Here are first sketches of him/her :) Tadaaaaa...

Old 07 July 2007   #23
Hi Oweron, your sketches are great.
For now, your entry is one of the most interesting!
Good luck.

Old 07 July 2007   #24
concepts looking real good... i love ur style... the lst characters r really nice... keep goin and keep showing us those nice drawings....

Old 07 July 2007   #25
@ alvin-cgi, gpepper - thanx for nice words. Not so sure about weight of different style in those challenges, but it is just natural to try to be original.

@ claudiojordao - thanx. Well, gpepper was talking about my "journey begins" entry, which was pretty interesting and hot during the challenge, but it was not after it... For judges it even doesn´t get the challenge topic (as one of them said), lol. For me, better to stay closer to ground now Don´t want to hit the ground from higher heights again, ha ha ha

@ overcontrast - thank you as well. However, I need to start some true 3D work here in order to catch the tempo of this show. Keep watching.

Old 07 July 2007   #26
I love your drawing style for this! How about making the animation in 2d? That could be pretty cool I think.
About the categorys and what's expected of us - I find it a bit confusing too. Maybe it will all be revealed in the end

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 07 July 2007   #27
I am very enjoy looking at your characters, and your sketch.

Old 07 July 2007   #28
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: unwanted product

Under the block there is a canalization. Under the block there is an unwanted product.

Old 07 July 2007   #29
Hey Juraj, great sketches man! I really like your style, and specially the way you use the colors. I agrre with Gunilla, a 2D animation like this would be awesome! Althoug I'm really curious to see this style transferred to 3D...

Anyway, keep it up, we want more!

Old 07 July 2007   #30
@ Gunilla - it is going to be mixture of 2d and 3d at the end anyway. But I will be more flexible with 3D characters I guess. I think even challenge team have some confusingness in the rulez, lol.

@ tnads - cool! thanx!

@ Anubis3D - Yeah, maybe to transfer it right with the mood will be my goal for this challenge. Still brainstorming a lot in my mind about whole show... keep watching, thanx

Thread Closed share thread