Strange Behavior FAQ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 07 July 2007   #61
Quote: And what about the traffic. When 1000people click on a single thread (wich happens really fast ) you'll have already 1GB of traffic.

We hadn't noticed any real increase in bandwidth, given how much we already use for everything else. We measure our monthly usage in multiples of TBs.

Quote: Is the conversion to BMP intentional?

No - thanks for pointing it out! Previously, the image conversion stuff was (correctly) guessing we wanted JPEGs out, even though we weren't specifying it. Because of some changes I made for this challenge, it couldn't work it out and decided BMP was a better default.

Old 07 July 2007   #62
so what is the best image file format to upload?

Old 07 July 2007   #63
Originally Posted by Naisa Evoli: Q: What is considered an adaptation. At what point does a script stop being an adaptation and end up becoming its own script. Are we allowed to change the ending? Can we change the personalities and attitudes of the individuals? Does setting or story make it an adaptation? Like for example, what if its the same basic story but it takes place in a library with art books (for example..lol). Basically in short, how close does it have to be, or are there really no set guidelines? Thank you

Make them recognisable as being the same basic script, and you'll be OK. Don't make it into something wildly different.

Quote: This topic sounds really cool - and i'd like to enter with an interactive piece! Is this possible?

Afraid not.

Quote: I would like to ask a question. I am not sure if someone already answered it. the art work that is mentioned in the screen play does it have to be from art that is already created or can we create the pictures for the short film? could I make a picture using the vague discription without having to find a picture to use? or do I have to find the art work to use(after getting permission from the artist to use in screeen play.)

By all means, create it yourself! This is an art forum, when all is said and done

Quote: I was wondering if we entered the illustration category producing a 3D still shot; if that same still shot would be allowed for the animation category (which requires a still frame and animation)? Or if the same charcters/environment/situation could be used for both the illustration and animation categories? Thanks.

Yes, but it really shouldn't be exactly the same piece entered for both categories. What works for an illustration isn't really showing off your skills for an animation, and vice-versa. So if they're different, just take a screenshot of the animation and use that!

Quote: just a lil goodie goodie... Is it possible to make "Strange Behaviour" LOGO available for download? Thanx.

Check the assets on the press page.

Old 07 July 2007   #64
Originally Posted by bstout: so what is the best image file format to upload?

For 99% of people, JPEG.

Old 07 July 2007   #65
A few questions regarding WIP entries.

- Is it possible to remove a previous WIP entry? I recently uploaded a slight update to a concept image, but it really isn't its own entry.
- I've created a post with links to my own web hosting... should I re-upload the images using the WIP tool and, if so, should/can I delete my original post?
- If I upload a new WIP pic using the Submit functionality, will it update the thumbnail that is used for my thread? I linked to my own space to avoid having the thumbnail update.

Apologies for the confusion... I'm new to CG Challenges. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited by Imagus : 07 July 2007 at 03:46 AM.

Old 07 July 2007   #66
Screenplay adaption’s:

We are going to be quite flexible on this.

What must remain is:

1. Two central characters that have just met for a first date in a gallery. One of the characters is good (a reasonable person who appreciates art and different points of view). The other person is bad (is a bit of a sleaze -- has no appreciation of art or other people’s opinions and is only interested in themselves and sex.)

2. Pictures that come to life and are sneaky, reacting to the bad persons comments.

3. The last picture has two or more characters in it -- one of whom replaces the bad person in the real world.

The setting could be anywhere... on earth or on an alien planet.

You can choose whatever pictures you want – or make up your own.

You can alter the ending to add a further twist.

We will be writing up notes on the screenplay to explain why it works and how you can vary it. Here is one example of the sort of variation I would personally consider…

The dragon is released from the picture at the end leaving the Guy trapped in the picture – he is chained up and his captor is the slave girl who is now wearing his shirt. The slave girl calls out to the dragon and the woman telling them to have fun. In the closing scene the woman turns to the dragon saying “Come on, I’m famished – French or Italian tonight?”.

“Italian", replies the dragon picking his teeth “I’m still trying to get last night’s Frenchman out of my teeth.”

For an real twist – at the end the camera could pull back revealing that the entire film up to date has been happening in a picture… with a closing voice over that sounds something like Ron and Hermione (Harry Potter) “Cool!” Sais Ron, “Oh, that’s disgusting” Sais Hermione.

There is a lot of scope of adapting the screenplay. However you should resist the temptation to make it too complicated or the plot too complex. You should not add more pictures or characters unless you are sure you can cope with the production. It’s better to add subtlety and quality to the production… to build in undercurrents of back-story and sub threads (like the Woman knows the pictures and always bring here first dates here to check them out).

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.

Last edited by MarkSnoswell : 07 July 2007 at 04:25 AM.

Old 07 July 2007   #67
Originally Posted by Imagus: - Is it possible to remove a previous WIP entry? I recently uploaded a slight update to a concept image, but it really isn't its own entry.

No. Don't worry about it - showing progress (even small tweaks) is what the challenge is about!

Quote: - I've created a post with links to my own web hosting... should I re-upload the images using the WIP tool and, if so, should/can I delete my original post?

You should, and you can ask flag me down and ask me to soft-delete the original post if that's what you want. (If there is any conversation about the piece, it will get confusing, so don't worry at all if it's better to leave it up!)

Quote: - If I upload a new WIP pic using the Submit functionality, will it update the thumbnail that is used for my thread? I linked to my own space to avoid having the thumbnail update.

Yes. Why don't you want a thumbnail?

Old 07 July 2007   #68
Unhappy Not fair!

Originally Posted by MarkSnoswell: Screenplay adaption’s:

We are going to be quite flexible on this.

What must remain is:

1. Two central characters that have just met for a first date in a gallery. One of the characters is good (a reasonable person who appreciates art and different points of view). The other person is bad (is a bit of a sleaze -- has no appreciation of art or other people’s opinions and is only interested in themselves and sex.)

2. Pictures that come to life and are sneaky, reacting to the bad persons comments.

3. The last picture has two or more characters in it -- one of whom replaces the bad person in the real world.

The setting could be anywhere... on earth or on an alien planet.

You can choose whatever pictures you want – or make up your own.

You can alter the ending to add a further twist.

We will be writing up notes on the screenplay to explain why it works and how you can vary it. Here is one example of the sort of variation I would personally consider…

The dragon is released from the picture at the end leaving the Guy trapped in the picture – he is chained up and his captor is the slave girl who is now wearing his shirt. The slave girl calls out to the dragon and the woman telling them to have fun. In the closing scene the woman turns to the dragon saying “Come on, I’m famished – French or Italian tonight?”.

“Italian", replies the dragon picking his teeth “I’m still trying to get last night’s Frenchman out of my teeth.”

For an real twist – at the end the camera could pull back revealing that the entire film up to date has been happening in a picture… with a closing voice over that sounds something like Ron and Hermione (Harry Potter) “Cool!” Sais Ron, “Oh, that’s disgusting” Sais Hermione.

There is a lot of scope of adapting the screenplay. However you should resist the temptation to make it too complicated or the plot too complex. You should not add more pictures or characters unless you are sure you can cope with the production. It’s better to add subtlety and quality to the production… to build in undercurrents of back-story and sub threads (like the Woman knows the pictures and always bring here first dates here to check them out).

Hey Mark!
thought it's not a good time to determine what have to remain on screenplay! Because someone just like me created their adaptions by now and working alot on storyboards, characters, concepts and even models! I adapted my story currently and developed it to be suite for project conditions, but it has not dragons on paintings for examplpe! or tow characters on last painting that replaced with John! here is now hard restrictions about story!
Now it is really a strange Behaviour!! :(

Btw jus my opinion, tnx, mim,

Last edited by mim-Armand : 07 July 2007 at 06:48 AM.

Old 07 July 2007   #69
Originally Posted by mim-Armand: Hey Mark!
thought it's not a good time to determine what have to remain on screenplay! Because someone just like me created their adaptions by now and working alot on storyboards, characters, concepts and even models! I adapted my story currently and developed it to be suite for project conditions, but it has not dragons on paintings for examplpe! or tow characters on last painting that replaced with John! here is now hard restrictions about story!
Now it is really a strange Behaviour!! :(

Btw jus my opinion, tnx, mim,

I'm not sure what you mean --- I only gave examples of how I might adapt the screenplay personally. You have a lot more scope than my suggestions.

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.

Old 07 July 2007   #70
Originally Posted by MarkSnoswell: I'm not sure what you mean --- I only gave examples of how I might adapt the screenplay personally. You have a lot more scope than my suggestions.

Tnx Mark for reply,
I thought these are new restrictions when you said "What must remain is"
Ok, so I guess my story is ok yet! really apreciate buddy! it would be a night mare to do allthing from first!

Tnx again and sorry for missundrestanding, mim,

Old 07 July 2007   #71
hm I don't know if it was already asked but imgaes won't show up in certain threads.
When I go to the challenge page, I can see the thumbnails but I can't enlarge them.

Most of the threads are working fine though.....

I just realized that it seems to be a browser problem. I'm using opera and some
threads seem to cause problems while loading.
Seems to work fine in firefox.
I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem but anyways, just wanted to let you know.

Here are a couple of threads that doesn't work in opera...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=225&t=511399
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=225&t=512503
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=225&t=511015

strange that the problem appears only in a frew threads....

WWW: AREA-56
BLOG: Chapter 56
SHOP: Prints

Old 07 July 2007   #72
hi
i would like to know if i can submit a animation that i m going to make for both the challenge and my end of studies work?

(the name of the school has to be displayed)

i m going to do all the work myself..

Old 07 July 2007   #73
Originally Posted by Mibus: No. Don't worry about it - showing progress (even small tweaks) is what the challenge is about!
It wasn't really an artistic tweak... just a signature and copyright notice on the image... that's why I was hoping to get rid of the original... but I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to leave it up, either. I did tweak the thread to only show the new version, so the old one is present in the assets, just not in the thread. Hope that's okay.

Originally Posted by Mibus: You should, and you can ask flag me down and ask me to soft-delete the original post if that's what you want. (If there is any conversation about the piece, it will get confusing, so don't worry at all if it's better to leave it up!)
I may update it with an official version later today, provided there are no responses. On the plus, it's my own personal webspace, so it should be up for at least the life of the contest, most likely a great deal longer than that.

Originally Posted by Mibus: Yes. Why don't you want a thumbnail?
In this case, the most recent update is character design noodling, which isn't nearly as representative as the original concept sketch... but I guess that replacing it wouldn't kill the thread... perhaps just make it stand out a little less.

Overall, I plan to share as much as possible on this project, both to get quality feedback and to give someone a good read (provided I actually finish).

Old 07 July 2007   #74
Originally Posted by Goro: I just realized that it seems to be a browser problem. I'm using opera and some threads seem to cause problems while loading.

I'd say this is the BMP issue I fixed yesterday, where instead of being saved as JPEGs, most of the challenge images were being saved as BMPs.

I should be able to get all of the images converted back to JPEGs today. New images are already JPEGs.

Old 07 July 2007   #75
Animation Category

Although i went through all the pages, and so many questions answered, my question is, If i want to enter in the Animation category, is it ok if I:

-Model (1 or two characters) , lighting, texturing. etc.
-The final "STILL" tells a story.

No character animation(since i am not good at it).

Thanks!

reply share thread