Strange Behavior FAQ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2007   #46
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mibus:
Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now available in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

Good Morning! Good to see that someone here had finally woke up and came to the only logical and rational conclusion regarding that. The irrational fear of technology that, even though presently at its humble beginnings, actually is the future of 3D and even more irrational worshipping and adoration of authors who don't mind wasting time on senseless modelling and rigging a new human figure or figures from the scratch for each project (even though often their final illustrations lacking any composition, atmosphere, story, idea or other important elements...) on this site was becoming actually painful. Even though I support the idea that a solid technical background is an equally important and neccessary part of an artwork, I've often found myself wondering about the CG Society selectors' criteria when it comes to 3D - they often seem to judge authors instead of their work. Character modelling has become a sort of trend, that is replacing the oh-so-popular 3D "artwork", consisting of models of existing brands of car, lit by a HDRI. Which remainds me of the 80's, tiled flooooors and spheres of glass and silver...

On the other hand, I sincerely hope we won't end-up now with a bunch of renderotica-level, 5-minute-work, poorly posed and rendered lego-Poser crap that has been inundating and polluting the Internet for the past several years. It is good that the "significant creative input to make results unique" is correctly emphasized in the answer above.
Perhaps you should go even further and forbid rendering of the final work in Poser i.e. allow the program only as an additional tool and not as the only and the main one...

(Sorry if being off-topic with this)

Last edited by Lovas : 06 June 2007 at 05:16 AM. Reason: ytpos, oops, typos.

Old 06 June 2007   #47
-And now the question: does the theme has necessarily to be interpreted as a character interaction? I would like, for example, to depict a Strange Behaviour of forces of nature - with the humans and/or other characters being just passive elements. Does my work get disqualified or low-graded because of that?

Old 06 June 2007   #48
Originally Posted by MarkSnoswell: If your doing a 2D animation then there may not be any additional components such as modelling or lighting. There again there may be.

When the judging is done any submission will be potentially eligable for all the relevant open categories. It is just a reccomendation that you highlight your various skills to maximise your chances in the open category areas you feel you are particularly strong in.

Hehe, me again. I think with all the questions about the organisation of the different categories and how to compete for the different prizes, this has become foremost in your mind

Thanks to your explanations I understand that part well, although, unfortunately, that is not what my question is about

I am asking about the milestones and deliverables required if I do a 2D animation.

On the Deliverables page linked above, it says:

"Animation:
• Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization - JPG (online)
• Modeling - JPG (online)
• Shading (Textured and lit) - JPG (online)

• Final Render - JPG (online) & 10sec – 2 min Animation (via CGUploader)"

Now, if I do a 2D animation that does not include 3D models and/or shading/lighting, what should I submit for the second and third milestones instead?

I am not concerned about being inelligible for the 'Excellence' prizes (for clarity, let's forget about them ), but I do need to know what deliverables should be submitted for the milestones so my entry isn't disqualified outright for missing one.

Sorry to harp on about this, or if my question has not been clear. I am not trying to be perverse or deliberately irritating - I am just trying to work out what I would need to provide and how best to organise my time to do so.

Old 06 June 2007   #49
Unhappy Copyright Question

I was thinking of modeling Ronald Mcdonald for the challange but this is my first attempt at anything of this nature. Is this allowed or do I have to model a characterization of him with a fake Mcdonalds logo due to copyright issues?

Old 06 June 2007   #50
now that i've started formulating a concept, i'm second guessing my category choice.

will having a scene that's made up of a real-world photographic backdrop, with only the character being CG, work against me in the illustration category? would i be better off creating a small animation of character in said environment and sticking with the animation category, thereby being also judged on compositing, etc?

Old 06 June 2007   #51
Originally Posted by Ordibble P. Lop: "Animation:
• Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization - JPG (online)
• Modeling - JPG (online)
• Shading (Textured and lit) - JPG (online)

• Final Render - JPG (online) & 10sec – 2 min Animation (via CGUploader)"

Now, if I do a 2D animation that does not include 3D models and/or shading/lighting, what should I submit for the second and third milestones instead?

Just pick your own idea of what they should be; as long as it shows progress you won't be penalised. eg., Modeling could be basic-coloured keyframed animation, and Shading could be a properly "textured" (ie. shaded / rounded characters, image for backdrop, etc).

Like I said though, just pick what you think are "fair" milestones, and submit them. You won't be penalised as long as you show progress (which is the only thing the milestones are really there to enforce).

Old 06 June 2007   #52
I presume it is ok but I'll ask to make sure: Can I render my scene in 3D and finish it significantly in 2D (like break edges that are too perfect, add dirt, change some colors, and even paints additional stuff on top of the image)? So the image is neither 2D nor 3D in of itself, it is a major mix of both?

Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops, I think there is a FAQ for illustration, this is not it

Old 06 June 2007   #53
Originally Posted by PhilOsirus: I presume it is ok but I'll ask to make sure: Can I render my scene in 3D and finish it significantly in 2D (like break edges that are too perfect, add dirt, change some colors, and even paints additional stuff on top of the image)? So the image is neither 2D nor 3D in of itself, it is a major mix of both?

Yes. This is exactly what you shold do -- and what is normal in commercial work. It's the result that matters, not the tools or aproaches you use to get there.

A personal comment on 3D renders... you should think of these like a raw photograph or video. You will always want to do a lot of post processing to enhance the render. It makes no sense to do everyting 'in camera' or 'in render' these days.

For a major project like entering this competition you should be working out your own personal pipeline. This should include rendering every layer you think you might use from the 3D render. You want to then do as much lighting, colour timing, texture maipulation, motion blur and whatever other effects you want/need/can in post -- where you can do most of them real time -- or at least a lot faster than in your renderer.

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.

Old 06 June 2007   #54
Question

Hi,

Dunno if here is the right place or not! But I have a problem on my thread!

Infact I uploaded a milestone but it didn’t displayed on my first post or in my challenge pages but just as my last post!

I’ll appreciate if anyone says whats wrong?!

Tnx, mim,

Edit: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=223&t=510648
Edit2: My thread thumbnail updeated btw!

Last edited by mim-Armand : 06 June 2007 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Adding my thread link! :/

Old 06 June 2007   #55
Q: What is considered an adaptation. At what point does a script stop being an adaptation and end up becoming its own script. Are we allowed to change the ending? Can we change the personalities and attitudes of the individuals? Does setting or story make it an adaptation? Like for example, what if its the same basic story but it takes place in a library with art books (for example..lol). Basically in short, how close does it have to be, or are there really no set guidelines? Thank you

Old 06 June 2007   #56
Question programming

Hi!
This topic sounds really cool - and i'd like to enter with an interactive piece! Is this possible?

Old 06 June 2007   #57
I would like to ask a question. I am not sure if someone already answered it. the art work that is mentioned in the screen play does it have to be from art that is already created or can we create the pictures for the short film? could I make a picture using the vague discription without having to find a picture to use? or do I have to find the art work to use(after getting permission from the artist to use in screeen play.)

Old 06 June 2007   #58
I was wondering if we entered the illustration category producing a 3D still shot; if that same still shot would be allowed for the animation category (which requires a still frame and animation)? Or if the same charcters/environment/situation could be used for both the illustration and animation categories? Thanks.

Old 07 July 2007   #59
just a lil goodie goodie... Is it possible to make "Strange Behaviour" LOGO available for download? Thanx.

Old 07 July 2007   #60
Hi I guess I'm not the only one who realized that the images load pretty slow.

Is there a reason why the jpgs are converted to 1MB bmps after uploading?
I guess someone with a slow internet connection will have trouble in browsing all the
threads.
Why is the jpg limit is set to max 150KB when it's converted to a huge bmp?

And what about the traffic. When 1000people click on a single thread (wich happens really fast ) you'll have already 1GB of traffic. Is the conversion to BMP intentional?

Cheers
Goro

WWW: AREA-56
BLOG: Chapter 56
SHOP: Prints

reply share thread