Strange Behavior FAQ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2007   #31
Deser: Fixed, thanks!

Old 06 June 2007   #32
Originally Posted by Henrik Vasquez: Hello Mark. Does this mean, for folks like me who post non-milestone but related works in progress, should we just go ahead and use our on image hosting? And just use the uploader here for the milestones.

no -- just post everything here as you normally would. You get the most feedback then and everyone else here benifits

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.

Old 06 June 2007   #33
I'm bumping my question!
can we make animations longer than 2 minuts ?? -it's quite cruical in this category it determines script , amount of shots etc
help please!!!
-cheers!!

Old 06 June 2007   #34
Originally Posted by fgdf: I'm bumping my question!
can we make animations longer than 2 minuts ?? -it's quite cruical in this category it determines script , amount of shots etc

Yes. We arent going to penalize people for longer clips -- unless you bore the judges

I woul very strongly recommend that you dont exceed 4 min -- thats a long music video clip length and about the tops for the judges attention span when you are looking over dozens of finalists in one session.

These times do not include time you may put into a 'making of' clip you add after the credits -- However any making of clips should not be longer than 30 sec per segment (modelling, texturing, lighting etc).

Old 06 June 2007   #35
from categories instruction: ...If you want your work to be considered for the Animation awards and other Open Categories then you should add a ‘making of’ documentary after your credits that highlights you special skills: modeling, texturing or lighting.

hey,
everything is good organised so far, but I have a lil problem to get this thing absolutelly clear.
If I want to make 2 mins animation, am I allowed to add extra time for "documentary footage" in order to be ready for Open Categories? (time limit for animation is 2 mins)
Or do I need to make separate videos for finished animation, for turntable, for vfx breakdowns, etc. ... Thanx.

Old 06 June 2007   #36
License

Are you going to send in your software license, and if who and where???

Old 06 June 2007   #37
Originally Posted by eljono90: Are you going to send in your software license, and if who and where???

I don't understand your question. Can you please try re-phrasing it?

Quote: If I want to make 2 mins animation, am I allowed to add extra time for "documentary footage" in order to be ready for Open Categories?

Yes.

Old 06 June 2007   #38
Trying again on the license:P

Sorry for my bad english, im from Norway

To make sure that everyone has non-pirated software, are you going to see if all artist has their license..?? And if you are going to, where should we send it???

Hope that did it

Old 06 June 2007   #39
Originally Posted by Oweron: everything is good organised so far, but I have a lil problem to get this thing absolutelly clear.
If I want to make 2 mins animation, am I allowed to add extra time for "documentary footage" in order to be ready for Open Categories? (time limit for animation is 2 mins)
Or do I need to make separate videos for finished animation, for turntable, for vfx breakdowns, etc.

You don’t have to do a 'making of' documentary to be eligible for the Open Categories -- but it is highly recommended. Conversely, if you are only interested in the Open Categories then your whole entry will be a silent 'making of' documentary style.

If you are planning to make a great character animation here is what I recommend:

1. Title sequence -- no longer then 10 sec.

2. Character animation - include music, dialogue, sound effects and anything else to make it as good as possible. -- 30 sec - 3 min in length.

3. Credits.

4. "making of' sequence made up of as many 10-30 sec segments as you want to show off:

Modeling -- turntable, fly-arounds, close up. white shader with ambient occlusion.

Texturing -- turntable starting with checker UV mapping and texture build up to full texture and finish with texture under different lighting conditions.

Lighting etc...

Remember these are just my recommendations, not requirements. The reason for recommending you doing it this was is that you show off your finished work first -- in the best possible and most entertaining way. You need to be focusing on telling a really good story that people will be totally absorbed in. If you succeed in this then people will come away with the impression of "wow -- that was great" but they will not focus on any of the technical aspects like the modeling, texturing etc... if they do, that's bad. It means they lost interest in the story you were telling and started looking at the technical details instead.

Now -- once your show piece is out of the way and the credits have run you can put in you 'making of' sequences. If you do this well it will really impress people just how much work you did and how it added to the overall impact of the story without being obvious.

As a guide you should look at short films submitted to SIGGRAPH and other similar organizations -- see what people do to show of their work. Note how long animations are and what works. Note how modeling, lighting and effects shots are demonstrated in the effects and other categories. Many DVD's also have great making of material on them. Look at everything you can and really pay attention to what works and what doesn’t. Then try to copy the best and avoid the worst. Finally and most importantly -- look at your own work with fresh and critical eyes and be prepared to edit and change it to make it better.

Last edited by MarkSnoswell : 06 June 2007 at 01:37 AM.

Old 06 June 2007   #40
Hey,

this maybe a silly question but this is my first challenge here at the CGSociety.
I see and hear remarks to milestones. I have read all the rules and read all the posts in this and other thread and my question is: Is there a specific deadline for submiting certain "milestones"?
Do we need to submit certian works at or by a certain time during the challenge?
If so what are those times and dates?

The reason i ask is because i have my companies work, my personal project "The Crystal Tree" and this challenge all at the same time. So my WIP submissions may be at different times.
So i want to make sure i follow the set deadlines for the milestones so i'm not disqualified.

Thanks
Richard Brooks

Old 06 June 2007   #41
Originally Posted by MrHobby: Is there a specific deadline for submiting certain "milestones"?
Do we need to submit certian works at or by a certain time during the challenge?

No -- they just have to be there at the finish to be eligable fot judging.

However, we encourage everyone to be active and post their work as they go. This maximises the feedback you may get and the community participation with everyone learning from each other.

Old 06 June 2007   #42
Thanks Mark.

Old 06 June 2007   #43
If you were to do a TWO-DIMENSIONAL (no, I'm not yelling, just bringing attention to this bit ) animation for the Animation section, what would be acceptable Deliverables for the 'Modeling' and 'Shading (Textured and lit)' stages?

I ask this because a 2D animation wouldn't ordinarilly feature modelling and lighting in the 3D software sense.

Thanks (and sorry if this was asked or answered before)

Old 06 June 2007   #44
Originally Posted by MarkSnoswell: You don’t have to do a 'making of' documentary to be eligible for the Open Categories -- but it is highly recommended. Conversely, if you are only interested in the Open Categories then your whole entry will be a silent 'making of' documentary style.

If you are planning to make a great character animation here is what I recommend:...

Thank you Mark, your answer is covering more than I expected. Spot on challenge! Thanx.

Old 06 June 2007   #45
Originally Posted by Ordibble P. Lop: If you were to do a TWO-DIMENSIONAL (no, I'm not yelling, just bringing attention to this bit ) animation for the Animation section, what would be acceptable Deliverables for the 'Modeling' and 'Shading (Textured and lit)' stages?
I ask this because a 2D animation wouldn't ordinarilly feature modelling and lighting in the 3D software sense.

If your doing a 2D animation then there may not be any additional components such as modelling or lighting. There again there may be.

When the judging is done any submission will be potentially eligable for all the relevant open categories. It is just a reccomendation that you highlight your various skills to maximise your chances in the open category areas you feel you are particularly strong in.

reply share thread