CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Strange Behaviour (Short Film)
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
unwrap
Lord of the posts
portfolio
N/A

Hi. I intend making a 3D still, like during previous challenges when we had only two categories i.e. 2D and 3D. So I entered the illustration category. But when I try to submit a wip image, I get too little milestones like previz, line art and final. Did I enter the wrong category? There were more categories before, stuff like sketch, modeling, texturing, lighting, etc. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:30 AM   #17
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

I was looking around for an answer to this question, but haven't found one.

Regarding the "Animation" entry... Is it permissible to do an animated short. Or are you looking more for a scene, with a fly through to prove the "3D' of it.

To me, when I hear of an animation contest, that intuitively implies some form of movement to tell a story. Based on your descriptions, it doesn't sound like that at all.

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to get cracking on this contest!!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 AM   #18
Mibus

Quote:
I was thinking of showing my character's "Strange Behavior " with some Character animation
but I don't want to follow the script, it doesn't really fit my idea ?

Put it in the animation category, for sure.

Quote:
but if after doing my pictures I want to make like a light changing, or ambiance changing, I can post in the Animation... is right?

You should pick beforehand which you want to do... the illustration one focuses on full print-res still art, whereas the animation category is more about showing off the 3D nature of the work.

Quote:
If group of people decide to create a short film, is it allowed for (each? one?) artist to create a separate Illustration entry from the environment / character(s) designed for the short film?

Each can submit work that they themselves did into the Illustration category.

Quote:
Does this mean we can't upload these entries (WIPs and finals) on other webpages (like Deviantart, for example) until the competitions over?

No, it just means that you should put it here first, and it shouldn't be something you posted to DeviantArt

Quote:
Can an entry to the Animation category be the equivalent of a "30-second short"? eg: have a (brief) story, characters, sets, music, dialogue, SpecialFX, etc, but be based on original material or one of the short stories?

Yes.

Quote:
sorry for another question, but for the animation section, is the final render also a high res of min. 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high? It only seas so for illustration.

Just illustration.

Quote:
Also, you can post in the animation part to show off your 3d work and textures if you make for example an illustration work. Does this also work the other way around?

Go read Mark's post on this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...24&postcount=51

Quote:
There were more categories before, stuff like sketch, modeling, texturing, lighting, etc.

Yup, it's been simplified

Old 06-26-2007, 06:51 AM   #19
MarkSnoswell
Mad Scientist

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Dr Mark A Snoswell
CGSociety President
Ballistic Media Pty Ltd
Mylor, Australia

Answers:

Short Film entries must be based on the screenplay 'Art Gallery' but you can adapt this -- a lot. It has been written so that it is easy to adapt. There is even a prize for best screenplay adaption.

If you want to do a completly different story then you can enter the animation category where you dont have to base your work on 'Art Gallery'. Master and Excelence awards in the animation category will be bassed mainly on character animation skill.

You can do a whole short film in the animation category if you wish -- but you dont have to.

A team can have any number of members. You can enter with a team of just 1.

You are free to enter several categories based on the same work -- but showing different aspects of it. eg. Illustration, model, texturing etc.

One Master and one Excellence prize winner in Illustration, Aniamtion and Short Film categories.

Every member in a team is free to enter the other categories -- either with their own independant work (which could be an illustrated poster for the Short Film) or with the teams permission using assets from the short film.

Your entry must be new -- previously published work is not allowed.

You must not publish your work elsewhere untill after the challenge is over -- this is how this rule will be enforced... We are happy to see people promoting themselves, the challenge and the CGSociety on other sites. We will turn a blind eye to this if it's resonable and includes prominent links back to the CGSociety. However you cant have your work appear in a feature article or some other significant publication before the end of the challenge unless you get our written permission from us beforehand -- breach of this rule will result in disqualification... always ask first, we are very resonable people

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.

Last edited by MarkSnoswell : 06-26-2007 at 06:57 AM.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #20
mim-Armand
Arm & you!

portfolio
mim Armand
Graphic designer - Animation Director - Illustrator!
3Dot's!
TOULOUSE, France

Send a message via Yahoo to mim-Armand
Question

Tnx Robert, but then Iím confused a bit!

So thought there is an Intercurrent between animation and short!
Can I do a short animation in shortís section?! Because I didnít want to compete in modeling and I plan to do something with the screenplay! Is it eligible to do a complete cg short or it had to use some real filming in it?!

Tnx, mim

PS: ooops! Tnx mark!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Short Film entries must be based on the screenplay 'Art Gallery' but you can adapt this -- a lot. It has been written so that it is easy to adapt. There is even a prize for best screenplay adaption.
If you want to do a completly different story then you can enter the animation category where you dont have to base your work on 'Art Gallery'. Master and Excelence awards in the animation category will be bassed mainly on character animation skill.

Seems it's answered now! so don't mind!
And I thouht it's yess! (if?)
Goodluck!

Last edited by mim-Armand : 06-26-2007 at 07:07 AM.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #21
MarkSnoswell
Mad Scientist

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Dr Mark A Snoswell
CGSociety President
Ballistic Media Pty Ltd
Mylor, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim-Armand
So thought there is an Intercurrent between animation and short!
Can I do a short animation in shortís section?! Because I didnít want to compete in modeling and I plan to do something with the screenplay! Is it eligible to do a complete cg short or it had to use some real filming in it?!

Let me use this as an example to give some advice:

You can enter the Short Film category as a 1 person team and create a completly CG short if you wish. However you will be competing against teams of people with no restrictions on how they make the film. This will make it very tough to compete.

or

You can enter the Animation category with a complete CG short film based on the screenplay. Now you will be competing with other individuals and you will have a much better chance of winning. You could still mix in live action or any other sort of material but you will be judged on your character animation skill first and overall entry second. You will also be automatically eligable for the other open categories: modelling, texturing and lighting.

So...

... As an individual animator you should enter the Animation category.

Last edited by MarkSnoswell : 06-26-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #22
SuperXCM
Midnight Postman

portfolio
Simone Lombardo
Head of R&D/Co-Founder
The Box Creative LLC.
Venice, USA

Red face I'm a noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibus

You should pick beforehand which you want to do... the illustration one focuses on full print-res still art, whereas the animation category is more about showing off the 3D nature of the work.

Thanks Mibus for answer, but sorry to be so noob , what I want to do is an illustration still art for print, but from this one, to have good chance in the lighting category, I want to make a day/night or changing the ambiance video... you know like a little camera move with the light changing in the scene. I need to enter the 2 category at the beginning and post my shot in the 2?

Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #23
fgdf
...in the circus

portfolio
Bartosz Bialek
3D artist
Poznań, Poland

In animation category does this 10sec -2min limit is a must or it allow us to reach like 3 or 4 minutes ??
Thanks!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #24
Dironik
siBEARian artist

portfolio
Dmitry Romanovich
unemployed
Irkutsk, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to Dironik Send a message via Yahoo to Dironik
Question

Quote:

I didn't quite catch your answer. What about if i will start illustration category, which be a cadr of animation but in a print resolution. Did i have opportunity for participate in a both of categories(illustration & animation) or redirect from Illustration to Animation categories if i have to time.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #25
EvoInSec
Veteran
portfolio
Edgar Jimťnez FernŠndez
Heredia, Costa Rica

Send a message via MSN to EvoInSec
2d animation?

In the animation category is limited to 3d animation or it can be 2d animation ?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:51 PM   #26
alvin-cgi
Lord of the posts

portfolio
alvin tea
Auckland, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deser
I didn't quite catch your answer. What about if i will start illustration category, which be a cadr of animation but in a print resolution. Did i have opportunity for participate in a both of categories(illustration & animation) or redirect from Illustration to Animation categories if i have to time.

I am wondering about this too...?

Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 AM   #27
alvin-cgi
Lord of the posts

portfolio
alvin tea
Auckland, New Zealand

Red face

Hi Mark,

On F&Q said "For the Animation category, we're after a really well-done model (of an environment or an object), which you'll show us with your animation (eg. a turntable or flythrough)."
And on one of your answer "...in the animation category will be based mainly on character animation skill."

So which is what, a turntable or flythrough to show animation or character animation?

Thanks
A

Old 06-27-2007, 12:36 AM   #28
MarkSnoswell
Mad Scientist

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Dr Mark A Snoswell
CGSociety President
Ballistic Media Pty Ltd
Mylor, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin-cgi
Hi Mark,
On F&Q said "For the Animation category, we're after a really well-done model (of an environment or an object), which you'll show us with your animation (eg. a turntable or flythrough)."
And on one of your answer "...in the animation category will be based mainly on character animation skill."
So which is what, a turntable or flythrough to show animation or character animation?

OK -- you got me there I need to go in and clarify the text... I started with the last challenge "3D Render" text and evolved it to fit the "Animation" category this time - I should have just started from scratch...

Judging for the Animation category will be first on character animation and secondly on the overall work. To further clarify this -- Character animation can be of any sort -- 3D, cartoon, claymation. It's the actual bringing of a character to life that is key -- not your technical skills or the aproach taken. If it's 3D (which most of the entries will be) then a well animated but simple robot could do as well as a photoreal human.

For those people that excell in creating awesome organic creatures which are harder to animate there are great opportunities now in the modelling, lighting and illustration categories.

If your clever in how you put together your entries then you can have a shot at just about everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergage
Hi. I intend making a 3D still, like during previous challenges when we had only two categories i.e. 2D and 3D. So I entered the illustration category. But when I try to submit a wip image, I get too little milestones like previz, line art and final. Did I enter the wrong category? There were more categories before, stuff like sketch, modeling, texturing, lighting, etc.

Dont wory. There are fewer official milestones now. This makes it easier for more people to qualify at the end of the challenge. We have found that most entrants are very good at posting lots of material so we dont have to force as many milestones.

Last edited by MarkSnoswell : 06-27-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 AM   #29
hv
Frequenter
portfolio
h v
Canada

Quote:
We have found that most entrants are very good at posting lots of material so we dont have to force as many milestones.

Hello Mark. Does this mean, for folks like me who post non-milestone but related works in progress, should we just go ahead and use our on image hosting? And just use the uploader here for the milestones.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:42 AM   #30
Dironik
siBEARian artist

portfolio
Dmitry Romanovich
unemployed
Irkutsk, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to Dironik Send a message via Yahoo to Dironik
Red face

In pages "Short Film Forum ", "Animation Forum " and "Illustration Forum " link on "FAQ" page is wrong("http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=408984") but must be "http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=508984".

reply share thread