Strange Behavior FAQ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2007   #1
Strange Behavior FAQ

For questions/answers on the Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Challenge-Specific

Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?

A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?

A: Yes, teams can submit to the short film category. See also the Looking For Group thread.

Q: Can individuals enter the Short Film category?

A: Yes, you're a team of one! However we strongly recommend that you enter the Animation category -- you can practically enter almost the same material as you would in the Short Film category but you stand a much better chance of winning.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?

A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there. If you still have problems, email me.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?

A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the competition?

A: Go to the challenge site and click on "Enter The Challenge". Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry") or the CGChallenge Uploader.

Q: How I can get out of this challenge?

A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?

A: Not in a single category. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter multiple categories.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?

A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. The purpose of the image hosting on the Challenge site is to give everyone the equal opportunity to post their work-in-progress, and have it hosted. At the conclusion of the Challenge, you will undoubtedly remove any Work-In-Progress images from your personal website and generate broken links all over CGTalk - so please use the Challenge upload facility.

Q: What's the difference between 'Short Film' and 'Animation'?

A: The Short Film category is for team entries. The teams must base their film on the screenplay, 'Art Galery' or an adaption of it. Judging will be based on the overall film ans storytelling impact. Short Films will also be eligable for a range of Open Categoriey awards.

Animation is for individual entrants. You do not have to adhere to the screenplay given (althoug you can if you want to). It will be judged firstly on character animation and secondly on overall work. The Animation category is also the place for individuals to access modelling, texturing, lighting and visual effects Open Categories.

Technical

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?

A: Yes

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now availble in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

Q: Can I use Poser and other parametric models for background characters?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?

A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?

A: We want to train people to create artwork for print. Therefore, things such as detailed textures and meshes become important in the creation of your artwork. The final image needs to be prepared for print, and we want everyone to work towards producing work that is print quality by habit.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?

A: Your final image aspect ratio and orientation will dictate your final resolution. We want images that will print at 300dpi on a 22 x 30cm page (whatever orientation). Please do your research and work this out yourselves. Your final image will need to be rendered at enough resolution to print and hold up detail.

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all together later?

A: Yes. This is how professionals work -- you should use every tool and technique availble in the best way possible.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?

A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray, RenderMan or 3rd party renderers for rendering?

A: Yes -- you are free to use any software you like.

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?

A: Yes. You should always use every tool that is apropriate in the best way possible.

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?

A: Yes, but you must credit everything you use. Anyone caught not crediting material, contributors or inspirational works will be disqualified.

Last edited by MarkSnoswell : 06 June 2007 at 05:18 AM.

Old 06 June 2007   #2
Q: What's the difference between 'Short Film' and 'Animation'?

A: The Short Film category is for team entries seeking to make a longer video, which may include live-action. For the Animation category, we're after a really well-done model (of an environment or an object), which you'll show us with your animation (eg. a turntable or flythrough).

for the animation, is there a limit ?
I was thinking of showing my character's "Strange Behavior " with some Character animation
but I don't want to follow the script, it doesn't really fit my idea ?

Old 06 June 2007   #3
Red face

Hello,

first thanks for this new opportinuty! I've got a question, I didn't enter the last challenge so this new one and the new category, I didn't really understand... I mean, I just would like to make a still image like the old 3D category, so if I understand well I need to post in Illustration, but if after doing my pictures I want to make like a light changing, or ambiance changing, I can post in the Animation... is right?

But I need to post directly to the 2 category, or I can post on illustration and if I got time when the illu is finished I can post in animation?

I hope is not too confuse what I'm trying to explain, sorry for my englsih.

Thanks.

Old 06 June 2007   #4
Can individuals enter the Short Film category?

Old 06 June 2007   #5
quick question about the prizes,
one master prize, one excellence prize? or it will depend on the level of final works?
so or example one master prize and a few excellence prizes?

Old 06 June 2007   #6
Originally Posted by tibes: Can individuals enter the Short Film category?

Yes, you're just a "team of one"

Old 06 June 2007   #7
Originally Posted by arturro: quick question about the prizes,
one master prize, one excellence prize? or it will depend on the level of final works?
so or example one master prize and a few excellence prizes?

One of each.

Old 06 June 2007   #8
A quick question from here also:

If group of people decide to create a short film, is it allowed for (each? one?) artist to create a separate Illustration entry from the environment / character(s) designed for the short film?

I don't mean recycling the assets used in the short film but more like painting a picture/poster for the short based on the concept art and character design etc.

Last edited by Ter-o : 06 June 2007 at 11:47 AM.

Old 06 June 2007   #9
just a quick question, it says in the rules that entries must be previously unpublished. Does this mean we can't upload these entries (WIPs and finals) on other webpages (like Deviantart, for example) until the competitions over?

Old 06 June 2007   #10
Can an entry to the Animation category be the equivalent of a "30-second short"? eg: have a (brief) story, characters, sets, music, dialogue, SpecialFX, etc, but be based on original material or one of the short stories?

Old 06 June 2007   #11
I really would like to enter in this section, but after reading the instructions, i'm a little disappointed, because this section has not the artistic freedom like the other categories.
But i have a bigger problem, i can't find anything about this screenplay. not on google, neither in one of the biggest public libraries in germany. Could anyone give me some information about it?

- ok, i just overlooked it. it is in the challenge discription of course.
and i don't really like it...

Last edited by Klingberg : 06 June 2007 at 03:53 PM.

Old 06 June 2007   #12
Arrow first entry

hi im from colombia and i think this is The first challenge in which I am going to take part.

excellent.

Old 06 June 2007   #13
Software License

Are you going to send in the software license and if, where??

Old 06 June 2007   #14
hey,

sorry for another question, but for the animation section, is the final render also a high res of min. 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high? It only seas so for illustration.

Also, you can post in the animation part to show off your 3d work and textures if you make for example an illustration work. Does this also work the other way around?

cheers

Old 06 June 2007   #15
never mind found a lot more answers here

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...64&page=4&pp=15

www.agentfx.com

Last edited by destruct007 : 06 June 2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: found answer else where

reply share thread