Welcome to the Mudbox forum

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2007
Great having Kolby Jukes as the moderator here, a title that is well deserved. I've been looking to try mudbox yet, but i am just too eager to wait for zbrush 3.0 that i don't know if i should even start.

By the way Kolby, i sent you an email a couple of weeks back, your PM cache has been pretty full lately, hope you don't keep too busy.

Looking forward to seeing the forum in action.

03 March 2007
Tutorial videos

If you're looking for tutorials, download the trial version and the help documents are online. One leads to a set of videos you can download. They're good.

03 March 2007
Normal map question

...and by the way, it's a cool program, but I'm still new to the concept of normal maps...

I have a basic understanding of image mapping with UV projections, bump maps and so on, but I'm still don't understand which node of an object's shader the normal map is supposed to plug into. I've found a bunch of tutorials about creating a normal map but not how to apply it.

If I create an object in Maya (that has all it's surfaces uv mapped), then create a version with much higher polygon count in Mudbox and sculpt my fine detail, then bake a normal map from the hi-res version....how do I bring the normal map back into Maya and where do I to apply it?

Thanks,
Paul

03 March 2007
I have just downloaded the trial version. Mudbox import seems to support obj, mud and bio formats.

a) what packages support these formats (I assume Maya, 3DS?)
b) are there any lower end (open source etc) that support or allow conversion to any of these formats?

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

03 March 2007
Really cool! Thanks!

03 March 2007
Gord-MacDonald:

A) The .obj format is probably the most used file format, used to transfer 3D Models between applications. I would think every 3D Package out there, supports it. Otherwise there can be found free plugins on the net that will allow your 3D software to import and export .obj files.

B) I doubt any free / opensource 3D software will be able to handle models that hit the milion polygon mark. Feel free to proof me wrong though.

03 March 2007
Originally Posted by JBoskma: Gord-MacDonald:

A) The .obj format is probably the most used file format, used to transfer 3D Models between applications. I would think every 3D Package out there, supports it. Otherwise there can be found free plugins on the net that will allow your 3D software to import and export .obj files.

B) I doubt any free / opensource 3D software will be able to handle models that hit the milion polygon mark. Feel free to proof me wrong though.

Thanks

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

03 March 2007
does anyone knows where can we got some video tutorials ??

03 March 2007
I am gonna tryout mudbox shortly.

Been away from 3d for a while. It will be fun to do some projects again.

03 March 2007
I just received my copy yesterday. I see what little free time I have left disappearing for awhile.
LinkedIn

03 March 2007
just got the free trial, and started to use Mudbox, Simpler then Zbrush i would like to know how effective it is compared. The creations look like its pretty much the same. Cant really manouver that well in mub box so have a few questions already!

So great add to the forum, nice one Kolby, though i dont really know much about you, it seems you are the person for the job!

03 March 2007
yay! thanks!

03 March 2007
Hi I f*%$#% Love MUDBOX!!

Mudbox is amazing! I like it so much more than ZBrush.

03 March 2007
Originally Posted by Paul B: I've found a bunch of tutorials about creating a normal map but not how to apply it.

If I create an object in Maya (that has all it's surfaces uv mapped), then create a version with much higher polygon count in Mudbox and sculpt my fine detail, then bake a normal map from the hi-res version....how do I bring the normal map back into Maya and where do I to apply it?

Thanks,
Paul

I use Max, but it works the same way in most if not all apps: you load the normal map (image file) in the normal map slot of a material which you apply to your low poly object. A normal map is just like an advanced bump map, so you use it the same way you would any texture/diffuse map, bump map, specular map, etc. The program (or video card if it's in a game) will know how to read it and render it after that.

03 March 2007
well... got the trial but havent had too much time to play around, will soon though

BTW, welcome back into the Land of 3D Superlayer :P

reply share thread