Welcome to the Mudbox forum

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2007   #16
Both packages belong in the same family, but approach the problem in different ways.

zBrush, was originally a painting package, it wasn't designed around the whole 3d sculpting thing (3.0 looks to have addressed this).

Mudbox was built as a 3D sculpting program from the start. The interface is very familiar if you've used a high-end 3D package. However, it does lack the texturing tools you find in zBrush.

Twitter: salmonmoose

Old 03 March 2007   #17
cool

hey cool ....

Old 03 March 2007   #18
Oops, wrong forum. :]

Glad to see a new forum though.

Old 03 March 2007   #19
I've played with it for a few minutes and I like the way it kind of "feels" Maya-ish. I'm finding it WAY more intuitive than Zbrush. Unfortunately, I'm getting a bit frustrated with it.

A few things in the first few minutes are:

-The screen won't draw properly (there's a black bar across the bottom 1/4 of the modeling window)
-the tool tip isn't aligned with the tool (the effect of the tool is happening about a 1/4 of the way up the modeling window, so I guess it's related to the first issue)
-the ability to subdivide selected geometry doesn't seem all that fabulous because the smoothed geometry is separated from the base shape. They get exported as separate objects with jagged edges.
-lastly, I found that the submenus and toolbars to behaved very sluggishly on a Xeon 3.2 ghz with a Quadro FX 3400 and 1G of ram running XP.

But I was only playing with it for a half an hour, so if there's a way to keep the subdivided surfaces continuous, then please let me know.

Old 03 March 2007   #20
I am SO bringing a box of munchies and drinx, just to hang out on this thread!!

Good on ya Kolby and thank you Leigh!

Last edited by PaulHellard : 03 March 2007 at 05:20 AM. Reason: kudos

Old 03 March 2007   #21
thank u leigh, thank u Kolby, i have not started working on mudbox but i sure was looking for it. thank a lot

Old 03 March 2007   #22
Talking I am happy that I could get in on the ground floor!.

This is great! I have been giving a lot of thought about which I should spend my time learning Zbrush or Mudbox. I have heard a lot of things from people that say that they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Unfortunately, I just bit the bullet recently and started to take of the dubious task of Zbrush. What do you all think? Do you all feel that it would be of great interest and knowledge to learn Mudbox? What with the new version of Zbrush about to release in two months. I guess the only reason I chose Zbrush over Mudbox was the sheer amount of training tutorials and the lack of presents for Mudbox on the web forums. But as I can see, that is about to change. I guess that I am going to have to bite the big bullet and learn both packages. What is the overall opinion of the new Forum?

I am happy that I could get in on the ground floor!.

Nice to meet you all! My name is Brian Bouffard

Thanks Kolby for taking on the dubious task of leading this wild and crazy ride.

Old 03 March 2007   #23
Thumbs up For me, both ZBrush and Mudbox ROCK!!!

Mr. Jukes, big fan of yours. I was bouled over by your modeling tutorial on modeling the human hand and am grateful to say that i follow it nowadays, although i got a long way to go when it comes to human modeling.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

I faced my problems with Mudbox and it is really put me in the fix because i am really gonna need it in the coming days. They are:

- The soft brush sometimes gets sluggish and translates the object rather than sculpting. The brush size is also not visible sometimes and i get lost, and i often find myself closing the package and reopening it.

- I find that the package hangs everytime my subdivision rises more that 3 times.

- The soft brushs' reaction to a low res mesh is very wierd, i run it over the mesh and the mesh sort of juts out like the spikes. I know i want to reduce the strength of the brush but even then it shows. What i mean is that it isn't as fluid as ZBrush when it comes to treating a low res mesh.

Apart from these, i really like stencil and stamp and the overall interface which behaves like Maya and is very easy to understand.

For me, both ZBrush and Mudbox ROCK, for bringing a whole new phase to modeling, called SCULPTING!!!

Old 03 March 2007   #24
Smile

Originally Posted by Paul B: I've played with it for a few minutes and I like the way it kind of "feels" Maya-ish. I'm finding it WAY more intuitive than Zbrush. Unfortunately, I'm getting a bit frustrated with it.

A few things in the first few minutes are:

-The screen won't draw properly (there's a black bar across the bottom 1/4 of the modeling window)
-the tool tip isn't aligned with the tool (the effect of the tool is happening about a 1/4 of the way up the modeling window, so I guess it's related to the first issue)
-the ability to subdivide selected geometry doesn't seem all that fabulous because the smoothed geometry is separated from the base shape. They get exported as separate objects with jagged edges.
-lastly, I found that the submenus and toolbars to behaved very sluggishly on a Xeon 3.2 ghz with a Quadro FX 3400 and 1G of ram running XP.

But I was only playing with it for a half an hour, so if there's a way to keep the subdivided surfaces continuous, then please let me know.

I think the dark bar (and maybe some other issues) can be solved by updating your video drivers.

Old 03 March 2007   #25
Originally Posted by ManoVelho: I think the dark bar (and maybe some other issues) can be solved by updating your video drivers.

Definately - even on the relatively flakey Vista drivers I don't experience any issues.

Twitter: salmonmoose

Old 03 March 2007   #26
Thumbs up

congrats kolby...

Old 03 March 2007   #27
It was about time! happy muddling everybody

Old 03 March 2007   #28
At last! I was hoping that CGTalk would come up with a forum for mudbox and here it is . It's so exciting to be able to learn from everybody.

Terence

Old 03 March 2007   #29
yay new forum to be a forum whore on

<3ing mudbox atm,am sure ill b stuck so look forward to retrieving help.and maybe giving it to

Old 03 March 2007   #30
Yay, great move CGS and Kolby!

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

reply share thread