CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Miscellaneous > Autodesk Mudbox
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 10-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
United Kingdom
Incomplete UV Set

Hey guys,

I am in the process of trying to paint my 3dsmax character in mudbox but get a "Incomplete UV Set" error warning when I do.

Having followed some advice from another thread, I have eliminated the possibility of the UV's being too close to the border and/or any overlapping or inverted faces.

So this leaves the third possibility of me accidently (somehow?) having deleted some UV's while in 3dsmax. I recreate the "missing" UV's in mudbox and it shows ten wonky rectangles of which I have no clue where they belong.

Redoing the UV map really isn't an option as its a very complicated model which has taken me the best part of three weeks to complete.

Whether it will come down to it, I do not get any kind of errors when opening it in Zbrush - I had decided to use Mudbox as it seemed better for what I wanted to do.

How do I go about locating these missing UV's - is there any way to adjust them in Mudbox?
If not, what is the worst possible scenario of me continuing my work without "fixing" this?

Thanks in advance,

Sorry if double post, first didn't seem to go through
Old 10-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Student Of The Craft
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA
I did run into this the other day on an object that seemed just fine coming out of Maya. I painted on it anyway without any issues.

There is something wrong but it might be hard to find. Could be some normal issue or something. Who knows. If it all seems fine I'd just paint on it and then save out some images to see if ther are any issues. Could be the "missing UVs" are somplace that does not show anyway.
Richard Culver
Protfolio Facebook WIP1 WIP2
Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Christoph Schädl
Christoph Schädl
you could try to do a search in maya for faces with zero map area...
its in the cleanup menue...
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Student Of The Craft
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA
How my brain works. I never put 0 Map area together with UV map. lol

But it did help to confirm that I think it is something odd going on here. Because the object that I had painted on with no issues shows 0 map area on polys that are clearly mapped and recieve textures as well as get painted with no issues, yet get the error in MudBox as well as show up in Cleanup. (with the selection option)

And I had actually unwrapped it in Softimage and exported to Maya by way of .obj

So perhaps this needs to be reported as a bug with Max, Soft, Mudbox and Maya, perhaps to do with obj exporting and/or "send to feature"?

Whatever the issue is, something is not right.
Richard Culver
Protfolio Facebook WIP1 WIP2
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread