how so i go about this?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
how so i go about this?

http://wallpaperhdfree.com/wp-conte...hd-walpaper.jpg

how do you paint the definate shapes for example the areas around the vodofone logo in red with the clean lines not wavy when handpainted

09 September 2013
Use curves as guides. or paint with steady stroke on. Third option is to export screen to photoshop and paint it there and transfer it back.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by onionhead-o: Use curves as guides. or paint with steady stroke on. Third option is to export screen to photoshop and paint it there and transfer it back.

exporting the screen to photoshop is a great idea! i can save the camera views along with the shots, paint in photoshop and then come back and use projection, its abit time consuming or maybe not but well worth a try i think, thanks tonnes!!

09 September 2013
For the most part I shy away from painting that kind of stuff. Usually I will rough out a 3D painted version on the model just to block out where I want the areas of color as close to the shape as possible. Then I export that map into Photoshop as a reference and do it with shapes I draw out by hand. Done about 3 dozen of these over the last year or so and I have not found a better way. In PS I can do all of the masking, airbrushing, border featuring etc. The key is having a good UV layout. I do wish there was a way to do it in 3D however, but I have yet to find a solution that gives me the same control.

For some things it is also practical to use stencils, like logo decals and so on. But usually I just use something like Mudbox to rough it out. There are simply not enough tools yet in 3D painting apps that I have found which will give you the control you need for this kind of body paint work on race cars, helis and planes.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by cineartist: For the most part I shy away from painting that kind of stuff. Usually I will rough out a 3D painted version on the model just to block out where I want the areas of color as close to the shape as possible. Then I export that map into Photoshop as a reference and do it with shapes I draw out by hand. Done about 3 dozen of these over the last year or so and I have not found a better way. In PS I can do all of the masking, airbrushing, border featuring etc. The key is having a good UV layout. I do wish there was a way to do it in 3D however, but I have yet to find a solution that gives me the same control.

For some things it is also practical to use stencils, like logo decals and so on. But usually I just use something like Mudbox to rough it out. There are simply not enough tools yet in 3D painting apps that I have found which will give you the control you need for this kind of body paint work on race cars, helis and planes.

yea good uv layouts is a must and planning ahead on another site someone suggested something nice though, find good angles of where you want to paint save a camera of that shot and export a screen print then paint it in photoshop and then bring it back in and use projection to paint, it takes longer but i think it will give me the results i need also, its worth a try, for now i finished the project the hard way and painting lines in mudbox but it took me all day so on the next project which is this weekend i will try this technique, am surprised so many people run away from things like these haha

09 September 2013
Don't get me wrong. You can paint lines in a paint program by using steady stroke and a combination of erasing and painting. Or even curves and even stensil or the idea that was presented to you. Then in Mudbox you have masks and layers like yo do in Photoshop, and layers can be imported and exported into/out of Mubdbox between Photoshop. I would recommend that workflow before a screen shot.

What I am saying is you have to look at the overall product and what you want to get. And for the level of control and the amount of non destructive type of work as well as effects you can do in Photoshop as compared to a 3D paint program.

People "run away" from this kind of work in a 3D app because frankly in my opinion it is not the best tool for the job.

It is better to make a good UV layout and do it in 2D. This is how canopy/body painting for mass production race cars and aircraft toys are done these days. Of course because 2D allows for printing. But it is also the best way to create the actual decal. This is the work I have been doing for the last 2 years for game related assets and so this is basically 35 or so models experience talking here.

I began searching for a way to do it in 3D and have yet to find a good solution. Would love to find one though. When Mudbox got curves I has very much looking forward to it and after testing realized it was too limiting and time consuming. Editing curve handles for smooth lines is so much faster and non-destruvtive. So you can then create a mask that is also editable after the fact and have many purposes for multiple layers.

So a small stripe or section, go for it. But if you really want to nail this kind of work and make some quality body painting, that is a different story.

Where an app like Mudox came into the pipeline for me was simply I painted all these canopies by hand in 3D first. Just roughed them out quickly to put the stripes and logos in place. Then took that back into Photoshop as a reference.

I had to block out most of these images (logos etc) to keep from getting into trouble. But these are renders of 3D models I did the painting on. To give you an idea of what I am talking about. If someone as a workflow and technique for doing this with the same control as in Photoshop but in 3D, I want to know about it. (other than 3D viewing on PS that is)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heli2.jpg (15.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Heli1.jpg (12.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by cineartist : 09 September 2013 at 09:46 AM.

09 September 2013
roughing it out in mudbox was what i did first but somehow i couldnt get lines to join up properly where i have different uv shells, some where off abit its technique i think i will work on since i have only painted one model so far, your advice is priceless though and definately i will work on it more. thanks alot cineartist

09 September 2013
Yeah it took me a lot of experimenting as well in the beginning and UV seams is a big issue. For the most part I tried to up wrap it where I knew the seams would not get in the way and make it one piece where possible. Not separate shells.

From there, to tweak areas it is a matter of jumping back into a 3D program to check. This is where 3D features in PS can be a plus. But I have not had much fun rotating a model in PS.

It did in all honesty take me several models to perfect the technique.

If you need any specific advice on UV mapping, or anything else I'd be glad to assist.

09 September 2013
thanks buddy, i wish there were more people like you on forums, i also try to assist in areas where i can but am also very new to it all, thanks a million!

09 September 2013
You are welcome.

Lots of experienced users around here with all kinds of expertise in areas I know very little about.

When I do have tips that I gained from actual production, I try to share if I have time. My way of giving back for all of the help I have gotten.

In the mean time I am learning just like you.

09 September 2013
yea we are all on the big journey of cg, haha

09 September 2013
Hi MITVIZ,

I am also new to mudbox myself. Perhaps we can help each other learn at some point.

Personally for projects such as a car, is mudbox the right program to use? I mean I could easily build this in 3ds Max, and uv map and texture it.

I thought that mudbox was more for organic modelling than hard surface modelling.

Please feel free to comment if I have got it wrong.

Ok back to the subject. You can take your car to the lowest sub division, export it to 3ds max, and do the uvs there, and re-import it to mudbox. Apparently you have make sure you leave a 3 pixel gap between each uv layout.

Asimov

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Asimov: Hi MITVIZ,

I am also new to mudbox myself. Perhaps we can help each other learn at some point.

Personally for projects such as a car, is mudbox the right program to use? I mean I could easily build this in 3ds Max, and uv map and texture it.

I thought that mudbox was more for organic modelling than hard surface modelling.

Please feel free to comment if I have got it wrong.

Ok back to the subject. You can take your car to the lowest sub division, export it to 3ds max, and do the uvs there, and re-import it to mudbox. Apparently you have make sure you leave a 3 pixel gap between each uv layout.

Asimov

Hey Asimov, the car was made in 3ds max and uv mapped also in 3ds max but for painting i am not sure about the tools it has for painting, i think 3ds max does but i am not sure but mudbox has more tools as it was designed for that, for the car though i only wanted to paint the car in mudbox,my uv maps needed more work though but i am looking into a tool called headus uv layout to give the best uvs possible. And yes to your question we can learn from each other i need it as much as anyone else but finding good forums in hard, 3ds max's mudbox forum is almost dead at times so its why am here.looking forward to seeing your work

09 September 2013
Hi Mitviz,

Prior to using mudbox I did all my painting in photoshop. Once you have your uvs laid out you should have no problems adding the colour and decals in photoshop.

I think mudbox is brillient and I want to learn it, but for a simple logo or decal I would still find it easier to add this in photoshop.

Asimov

09 September 2013
i agree that for simple logo placements and such alike photoshop can be all you need sometimes, sometimes where the logo goes is also a challenge and then you will need to project it in something like mudbox and to paint on rust at edges lines in specific places sometimes photoshop is just not enough unless you have the edition where you can use 3d in photoshop which is the extended version

Thread Closed share thread