Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Gloor
Expert
portfolio
Tom
United Kingdom

Mudbox or Zbrush for my needs, please?

Hello guys,

I would like to ask you about those two packages and what are the strength and weaknesses of them so I can decide which one to go for.
My main job is in animation but I would like to learn how to sculpt just as a hobby. Eventually I would like to design my 3 characters for my short movie and thought that I would do it in either of those 2 and then take it to Maya and animate there.

I like that Mudbox has similar UI as Maya so its immediately "intuitive" to use. On the other hand I think Zbrush has more to offer and I especially like the zspheres etc.

I don't mind learning the different UI of Zbrush as long as it will be powerful in the end.

So, if there was a person like me that wants to design characters that will later be used for animation which one would you advice is stronger? I used to do modelling in Maya but hated the topology thing so that is something one doesn't has to worry about much in Zbrush as it keeps it clean for you, right?

Could you please tell me what each is strong at so that can take my decision easier, please? I have mudbox trial I am testing now and I also have Zbrush at work to play with.
My impression is that Zbrush has tons and tons of stuff and hence is better but i could be totally wrong.

Could you please keep it nice and polite and help me out? It would be very nice of you.
Also, what are the downfalls of each program to my potential needs for the short movie, please?
Thank you

Old 05-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
bilbob
Expert
portfolio
Matt Simecek
berkley, United States Minor Outlying Islands

i do believe i've seen a thread debating the pros and cons of each program. (sorry, i can't seem to find it right away.) maybe check under the zbrush section.

in my personal experience it seems zbrush is more versatile and i suspect less expensive than Mudbox.... although i'd encourage you to continue with your tests or each.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Gloor
Expert
portfolio
Tom
United Kingdom

Thank you, I think I'll try Zbrush and see how it goes

Old 06-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Zbrush navigation is really easy once you're used to it. And the only thing most people got problem with was the left click zoom (press Alt, hold down left mouse, let go Alt) which didn't took long to get used to in my case. Just a few tries and I'm good to go.

Another less known navigation is the "right click" navigation. right click to rotate, Alt right click to pan, Ctrl right click to zoom.

It's easy either way and the right click nav is really awesome.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Gloor
Expert
portfolio
Tom
United Kingdom

Great tip with the right click, that is more intuitave with the zoom. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat
Zbrush navigation is really easy once you're used to it. And the only thing most people got problem with was the left click zoom (press Alt, hold down left mouse, let go Alt) which didn't took long to get used to in my case. Just a few tries and I'm good to go.

Another less known navigation is the "right click" navigation. right click to rotate, Alt right click to pan, Ctrl right click to zoom.

It's easy either way and the right click nav is really awesome.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread