Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #31
AdamBaroody
Frequenter

portfolio
Adam Baroody
Character Artist
NY, USA

Yeah I thinks that fair. There is work to be done for sure in many areas but as Andrew pointed out, they're already hard at work so I'm sure we'll see some of that soon.

Mudbox is a phenomenal program as is but I too am guilty of wanting more

Old 04-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #32
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Smile

Cool.

Yeah, I am looking forward to what they have in store. It is a good time for Mudbox.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #33
Zeddicus
Nothing is ever easy.

I strongly agree with cineartist and the others. I keep asking myself how, given an entire year, is this truly the best they could do? How big is the development team for Mudbox anyways? Compare that to the development of 3D Coat which only has one person working on it.

It is also disappointing how Autodesk went to all the trouble of setting up and maintaining an area where users can make suggestions, yet seems to completely ignore them (and not just for Mudbox). What is the point? This is another area where 3D Coat blows Mudbox out of the water. Even ZBrush has a bit of an upper hand here I think.

Another touted feature in Mudbox 2014, besides auto-retopo which has been covered well enough in this thread, is multi-touch. Now that touch input has pretty much become a standard feature on nearly all Wacom tablets, supporting it as a means of rotating, panning, and zooming your mesh is a great idea that actually works fairly well on an Intuos5. At least until you rest your hand on the tablet every time you go to use the pen. Then it goes bonkers which makes this feature completely useless and I'm not the first to have noticed this. Mudbox predominately seems to think you're touching the tablet with two fingers, the method used for panning. This is the same for other apps which support multi-touch, yet they don't have any trouble distinguishing one from the other. Because of this I have to assume the problem is with Mudbox, not the Wacom driver.

I like Mudbox a lot, particularly in regards to painting. It has the nicest feel to it of the three sculpting apps IMHO and I also like the overall simplicity. It's just not enough though, certainly not for the arm and a leg Autodesk continually wants. Anyone who doesn't like ZBrush for whatever reason (usually the interface) would be a lot better off checking out 3D Coat over Mudbox.

PS: Regarding the lack of symmetrical auto-retopo, could one not send the mesh over to 3ds Max, apply a symmetry modifier, then send the result back to Mudbox 2014? Might not be feasible in all scenarios, but it would be better than nothing.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #34
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus
It is also disappointing how Autodesk went to all the trouble of setting up and maintaining an area where users can make suggestions, yet seems to completely ignore them (and not just for Mudbox).

thats not true... they fixed a lot from the idea site... and auto retopo was the top most voted feature... same for maya... take a look at the 2014 release...

http://mudboxfeedback.autodesk.com/...m/status/689683

Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #35
Zeddicus
Nothing is ever easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
thats not true... they fixed a lot from the idea site... and auto retopo was the top most voted feature... same for maya... take a look at the 2014 release...

http://mudboxfeedback.autodesk.com/...m/status/689683

An easy mistake to make until one digs deeper into the numbers, like how anything with more than 50 votes was still ignored, other than that one single feature you pointed out, as well as into which version many of them were actually implemented in (i.e. not 2014).

It's also sad there isn't a way to see how long a lot of requests, particular the ones with a truly ton of votes, have been on those two lists waiting. Nothing goes further back than May 2, 2012, which IIRC is around the time the site was changed.

I actually spent much of yesterday creating a detailed analysis outlining the many interesting facts I found, but decided against posting it in the end because it would have been the biggest wall of text the internet has ever seen lol. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #36
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

I am sure that is an impressive list. But I am not sure you can also look at those numbers at face value. There are a lot of factors that are at play. From things that have already been fixed the user was not aware of, or features not aware of by user, to things that already were being worked on like retopo - I am pretty sure that did not come from the user requests. And not to mention things that for whatever reason are not possible to implement right away. They do have a direction and their own ideas about where they want to take this, which comes a lot from working with people in the field as well as the beta. So something could get a zillion votes but it does not guarantee by magic that it will be possible to do right away. There are likely a dozen or more factors that come into play from a programing perspective. So they have to balance the input with the practicality of implementation. And then they have to set forth some kind of plan which likely looks 2 to 5 years ahead. Then fit these things in as they fall within a plan. So it is not like they wait around, have nothing to do until a vote reaches 50 and then start on that the next day. And I would bet that doing retopo did not come about that way. That sounds like something years in the making.

My only beef was the release strategy and the promise made. These tools just don't live up to the promise.

Mudbox is cool, just has a long way to go. And I hope they can continue to solve these problems in the same unique and simple way they have done everything else and wind up with an interface that is not redundant, scattered and confusing like Zbrush.

Zbrush is still the king of the hill and will be for a long long time.

But Mudbox can carve out a niche by offering a similar functionality with a much more efficient interface and workflow. Something the Zbrush devs could borrow a page from. They have a very linear way of thinking. They just keep piling things on top. And at some point the interface is going to become so complex that new people will have to spend a year just to learn what is there.

In Mudbox you can do lets say what would be several tasks in Zbrush that take you all over the interface with 4 different pallets and so on, but in one tool by simply adjusting 1 or 2 options.

This does not make Mubdox a better sculpting tool. But it does offer a way of working that is far more artist friendly and attractive to artists for that reason.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #37
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

Quote:
My only beef was the release strategy and the promise made. These tools just don't live up to the promise.

thats a autodesk problem cause they "have to" release...
if the features is ready or not doesnt matter... im sure the developers arnt happy about that...

Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #38
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
thats a autodesk problem cause they "have to" release...
if the features is ready or not doesnt matter... im sure the developers arnt happy about that...

Yeah I know. It sucks. I think that was brought up here. But I am not going to start using the features out of sympathy for their "dire" situation.

I don't have any clients that use poor work I give them out of sympathy. They unsympathetically send it back to be done again if I screw it up.

That's how things work in the real world.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #39
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread