Mudbox + mari or zbrush + mari or just zbrush ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Mudbox + mari or zbrush + mari or just zbrush ?

Hi

For someone who we'll use mari as painting tool, is it better to chose mudbox or zbrush for modeling only?
I read that mudbox is much easy than zbrush, can use more ram and that zbrush is the best all in one tool...but if it's just for modeling, maybe it changes things no?

Thx

Old 03 March 2013   #2
that depends a lot on your workflow and what are your needs...
if you have to do a lot of design, hard surface and game stuff sculpting go with zbrush..
if you have to work in a film pipeline and do mostly detail sculpting go with mudbox...

if you go with mudbox and dont have to do crazy painting stuff with hundreds of highres textures you could paint everything in mud... and wont need mari...

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Over the internet i read that even in film pipeline, most of artist prefer zbrush over mudbox.

If i want to do characters like hulk or iron man, could i get the same result with mudbox than i can get with zbrush?

Old 03 March 2013   #4
In Mudbox you can not create meshes. Also no UV creation tools. You have to use something already created. In Zbrush you can create meshes and also create UVs. It is a more all around mesh creation and editing tool. It takes a long time to learn and master. It is very complex and designed illogical. I think. I use it mainly because it has tools in there that are very good for creating meshes. Also the brushes in Zbrush are much better. If you like to model in another package and you just want to do finish work, I agree. Use Mudbox. I have and use both.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Originally Posted by Needsun:
If i want to do characters like hulk or iron man, could i get the same result with mudbox than i can get with zbrush?

iron man is modeled from polygons not scultped... maybe some design sketches are sculpted... but for an animated hardsurface char you need an animateable version... and thats done with polymodeling...

the hulk is sculpted... you could do that in zbrush or mud...
vor example the croko man in the last spiderman is detailed with mud...

Last edited by oglu : 03 March 2013 at 01:42 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Needsun: Over the internet i read that even in film pipeline, most of artist prefer zbrush over mudbox.

Don't believe everything you read over the internet Mudbox is used a lot in film. I'd just give both tools a try and see what works best for you. Personally I prefer mudbox, but it's really up to the individual.

- Neil

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Please, no software VS software threads.

Both MudBox and ZBrush are used extensively for sculpting in the film industry, and as of recent versions of ZBrush and the next one of MudBox, both have respectable retopo toolsets.

Many places have licenses of both and allow the artist to choose which one they use, with the exception of places with smaller teams and where leads or supes feel strongly about either.

Given the results seen around produced by both, it pretty much comes down to what you can do with it, and both are fairly easy to learn anyway.

Thread Closed share thread