model "blows up" in mudbox

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
model "blows up" in mudbox

Hello, I'm a newbie, and prone to shortcuts. My research indicates that it may be possible to create character meshes in another program, such as MakeHuman and Blender and then export/import them to Maya and then to Mudbox. After many attempts to accomplish this successfully, I am only producing an .fbx file that Mudbox complains "boundary vertex has too many edges" after which I delete all offending that Mudbox prompts me to delete or save, then I try to use sculpting tools on the imported character, only to find that when using the sculpting tool(s), that the model disintegrates into pieces, and the many pieces then become unrecognizable blob fragments. It makes an interesting modern art type effect, however, not at all what I wanted. I have tried editing the mesh in Maya and saving it as a binary or exporting to .fbx to use in Maya, but to no avail. Always the defective model in Mudbox that I cannot do any sculpting with. I have had Mudbox check the mesh, and it has "passed" the check, but no joy when trying to go any further. Could it be that Mudbox will never be able to open files imported in such a manner? I am also unfamiliar with Blender and how it may be repair such a damaged .obj file.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
mudbox needs clean geometry... you have to clean all bad geo in an other tool....
try to use the cleanup feature in maya to find the bad areas...

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Thanks for the help

Thanks, Oglu-
I have concluded that importing has limitations, so I am starting off smaller. I am now not getting the geometry/normals error. I had tried everything I could imaging to try to clean them up, didn't seem to work, so I abandoned that approach and started simpler which seems to help, except now I get warnings that I can't subdivide because of an incorrect subdivision algorithm. Oh, well. So now I just can't seem to edit my armatures at all in terms of the mesh. Sculpting tools just don't work, unpredictable/undesired results when trying to use Mudbox. I am presently seeking help from the Blender community to see what that may yield.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
It sounds like the verts are unwelded. Try selecting all vertices in Maya (or Blender or whatever you're using) and weld/merge with a low tolerance. Also check the export options to see if there's anything that might make the model split on export.

Or try exporting to OBJ.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread