Mudbox multi-threading...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Mudbox multi-threading...

Does anyone else think it's about time that Mudbox takes a bold leap into the year 2010 and gets with the multi-threading program?

I do.
I now have a PC witrh a Z77 motherboard, i7 9770K Ivy Bridge, @3.5 ghz, and 32 GB of system RAM.

For me, it's not been a big issue in the past few years since Mudbox is pretty well optimized for what it does, but now I can take my meshes WAAAAAY beyone what I ever could before, and now the lack of multi-threading in sculpting become extremely apparent.

I took a model up to 135 million polys and it used about 15 GB of RAM. Cool.

However, it was almost unusable at that point and I my CPU was only at 12% usage - one poor thread all on its own trying to keep up.
And I'm using a 2GB EVGA GTX 560 - not the most powerful, but no slouch either, but MB was only using like 30% of the GPU power.

I found an interesting article:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/arch...hp/t-54518.html
Quote: The entire application is GPU accelerated and of course, the graphics card has multiple threads, the main CPU processors in some instances, we are using multi-threading for certain things, but we're currently not using threading across the entire application. What that means is that the application still could get a hell of a lot faster in the future. One of the nice things about being at Autodesk is that you get a heads-up on the technology that's going to come down the pipeline from various hardware manufacturers, be it graphics cards or processors. And so based on this, we're making sure Mudbox is in a good position to take advantage of all that stuff as it comes out. And soon as it's out there, we're going to be able to take advantage of those technologies with Mudbox because of the code changes that we're making now.

Three years ago or more.
Well, it's "out there" now, so what ever happened to these big plans?
I hate to say it, but ZBrush is kicking ass these days and Mudbox seems to be just kind of crawling along, not really even trying to keep up.

Last edited by twosheds : 09 September 2012 at 12:10 AM.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread