"Interior Vertex Has Valence Two..."

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Exclamation "Interior Vertex Has Valence Two..."

Mudbox Error:
"Interior Vertex Has Valence Two"

Hey Mudbox, you know what would be cool?
Since you know my model has this error, I assume you also know where said error is in the model.
So... how about offering me the option to see it? Good idea, bad idea?

Just spent an hour trying to find my careless mistake in a model, so it would be great if, along with the error message, Mudbox could show me where it is.

Old 07 July 2012   #2
use cleanup in maya to find the problem...
or xView in max...

Old 07 July 2012   #3
Originally Posted by oglu: use cleanup in maya to find the problem...
or xView in max...

Thanks oglu, I wouldn't have thought of that.
Next time.

I think its time for another feature request.

Old 07 July 2012   #4
go for it...
http://mudboxfeedback.autodesk.com/...or-mudbox-forum

Old 07 July 2012   #5
I agree. Knowing there's an error is a good start. But showing you where it is would be much more helpful.

Old 07 July 2012   #6
Originally Posted by robinb: I agree. Knowing there's an error is a good start. But showing you where it is would be much more helpful.

Well you know I certainly agree.

I made a request via oglu's link up there, but it looks like it didn't take. Unless they removed it due to it being a duplicate.
I'll check into that more later when I have some time. This is something they really need to do.

I went back to a previous version of my model before it was fixed and tried to fix it in Maya 2012, with "cleanup" and it wasn't able to find the problem no matter how I set the options. I don't use 3ds max, just Softimage, Maya and Lightwave, and Softimage and LW don't have any error checking tools that I'm aware of, aside from reporting on quads, n-gons, tris and such, but not for finding stuff like this.
I also tried UV Layout, and that didn't fix it either.

Maybe there's some free utility out there than can take a .obj file and do a really thorough inspection of it and show any errors. If I find one I'll post a link here.

Last edited by twosheds : 07 July 2012 at 09:41 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #7
The errors don't mean much to a Max user like me, but i think this one is a vertex in the middle of an edge. That can happen along the symmetry plane.

Old 07 July 2012   #8
Originally Posted by robinb: The errors don't mean much to a Max user like me, but i think this one is a vertex in the middle of an edge. That can happen along the symmetry plane.

Yeah and that's where I wasted half an hour looking first.

Turned it was in the character's ear, of all places - deep in a fold, somehow an edge got split.

Old 07 July 2012   #9
to fix this in maya, just select all vertices, and delete. It will only delete such vertices.

Old 07 July 2012   #10
Originally Posted by MasonDoran: to fix this in maya, just select all vertices, and delete. It will only delete such vertices.

Thank you very much, I didn't know that.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Unbelievable....

I just had it happen again with a different model, only this time I noticed that in that Mudbox error window it actually has a checkbox to show the affected points.

And it works too - it highlights the problem edges in red.

Can't believe I hadn't noticed that before.

Edit:
Well I see why I never noticed it before - it doesn't show up all the time. I guess it doesn't show up most of the time, but there's definitely an option in there and it works.
Unfortunately I can't get it to display with the error message again for whatever reason, even with the same model.
Well it accomplished its purpose while it lasted at least.

Last edited by twosheds : 10 October 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #12
Hi guys!

I ran into the same problem and solved it with the following steps:

Export the mesh.
Import into mudbox.
Click "import anyway".
hit "shift+d" to add another subdivision level.
It will fail! But keep the fail window open and check the box "highlight edges".
Look at your model and check which edges mess the whole thing up.

Hope this helps other seekers.

Old 11 November 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread