Is Mudbox enough good ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #31
There are some fundamental differences between Zbrush and Mudbox at all levels.

The only way to really know is to study what Zbrush is all about. You can download tutorials for free from Zclassroom.

Yes, there are some similarities in the most basic sense, given certain circumstances. But Zbrush by far out does Mudbox in everything from performance to the vast array of tools, brushes and techniques at your figure tips.

That's my opinion.

I do use and own both Zbrush and Mudbox.

Learning Zbrush is quite overwhelming. And by itself is a powerful modeling tool, just in the use of insert brushes alone and perhaps micro mesh. Nothing to do with resolution here. Just the powerful use of the toolset.

There are some things you can do in Mudbox the same as Zbrush by learning Mudbox. But there are somethings you can not do. And it is not limited to just building base meshes from scratch and so on. There is a plethora of tools available to you in Zbrush that Mudbox has not even approached yet.

The best way is to look for yourself at the tools available by doing as many tutorials in both apps as you can. Then make up your mind.

I like using Mudbox. But Zbrush is my go-to tool for all of the additional functionality I miss from Mudbox.

There is also a GoZ for Maya.

And I agree with the posts about using the strengths of both apps. I think an artist does himself a favor by owning and using both.

My opinion.

Old 06 June 2013   #32
I think the main difference is Mudbox will always be more streamlined in terms of use, and Zbrush will always have more additional tools. Since Zbrush is promoted for a standalone program, and Mudbox is promoted as a supplemental program, with other products from Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite. Because of that use, both programs will have slight differences in their offerings, but should still fundamentally be similar essentially.

Old 06 June 2013   #33
I like mesh generation and kit bashing in ZBrush. However, painting in Mudbox is FAR better (for me) since the layers just work and it's not poly painting which I have always had to fight for some reason.

With that said, I've seen some of the most awesome art come out of both packages and to think of how I did 3D 10 years ago makes me thankful to have both pieces of software. Even if I had one, regardless of which one, I would still be grateful for the features they've provided 3D artists.

Old 06 June 2013   #34
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread