Dominance War II Local Rules and Issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2007   #46
Thumbs up

Wow I am totally charged for this contest. A friend of mine just told me that there was going to be another Dominance War contest a few hours ago and I just had to take part. I missed out on it the last time (I guess that's kinda fitting for me since we were asleep during the last war) but this time I cannot let this pass me by. I just wish he had told me about it a little sooner. Anyways it's late here so I'm off to bed to dream up some concepts for my Shadow.

The best of luck to everyone, night!

Old 02 February 2007   #47
so, does the character need to have a back? Can we use all of the polys and texture space just for what is seen in the images we render? Not really a usable game character at that point, but would allow for a lot more detail where its seen.

Old 02 February 2007   #48
Originally Posted by nizzi: so, does the character need to have a back? Can we use all of the polys and texture space just for what is seen in the images we render? Not really a usable game character at that point, but would allow for a lot more detail where its seen.

Not making it a usable game character really defeats the purpose of a game art challenge, don't you think?

Old 02 February 2007   #49
Well, I have to say, even though Cg Talk has the most entries so far, Polycount seem to be ahead on general quality of entries, just based on a cursory perusal of the thumbnail previews...it's gonna be tough to beat them.

Old 02 February 2007   #50
They do have a much stronger, more experienced and closer game art community than CG Talk.

Old 02 February 2007   #51
I have been concepting since the day I first read the brief and only recently have I made the decision to take up the fight for the ancients. But I try to join and keep getting redirected to a page that asks me to check a "remember me" box on the gameartisans.org website in which I have no account. Do I have to join that website as well or is this a glitch that can be remedied?

Old 02 February 2007   #52
you do indeed have to sign up there in order to create an account on the dominance war site

Old 02 February 2007   #53
I have a question about using normal maps on models and the level of realism that models need to have. I've been browsing though some of the thread and I've seen alot amazing models coming together, some with very high levels of detail with hi-res normal maps that could give my PC a stroke. what if you want to make a more cartoon like model where the use of normal may not be nececary or even make the model look worse than without them. Will you lose points for not using normal maps or make cartoon stylish model instead of the hyper-realistic one?

Also can I get some feedback on my concept sketches? Thanks
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=219&t=465181

Old 02 February 2007   #54
can we incorporate env-maps as part of our textures? can we use them? also do all FX have to be present in the model, like a light cone or fog or stuff like that... cause in games they are spawned by the engine by using various methods???

Old 02 February 2007   #55
Originally Posted by XeroWolf: Will you lose points for not using normal maps or make cartoon stylish model instead of the hyper-realistic one?
The way I've heard it, you're not allowed to do cartoony characters, but that certainly doesn't mean you can't do something fantastical. You're allowed to use any of the maps they list in the brief, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to normal map if you don't want to.

Old 02 February 2007   #56
Anybody here have any idea when we'll be seeing this "Big announcement" they're talking about on the WIP entries page?

Old 02 February 2007   #57
So I guess that's a negative on there even being an announcement?

Old 02 February 2007   #58
Well FredH said on the GameArtisans that he add the a judges button to the different team pages but I'm not sure if that's it. The forum has been updated a bit though. http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/index.php

Last edited by XeroWolf : 02 February 2007 at 11:50 PM.

Old 02 February 2007   #59
http://www.dominancewar.com/2/judges/

that is correct. 'judges' is the new announcement.

Old 02 February 2007   #60
My post name

Hey I initially named my post incorrectly, like a noob ... I tried to edit it but it still shows up wrong on the main page... how can I fix it?
My thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=219&t=467490

reply share thread