testing, is this thing still on???

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2012
Originally Posted by giordi: Dont share the animation cos it s useless. Probably riggers wont even use those bones

I don't know about that. If the point of the challenge is good deformation and how to create a system that effectively deals with forearm twist and complex shoulder rotations, I could see packaging animation with the model being a good thing.

It can be a good mechanics test for the riggers. While riggers should be able to create their own calisthenics test, it wouldn't hurt to give them one. It could also add a bit of standardization and professionalism to the test. In much the same way that shader artists sometimes display their shaders on the same model, if all the riggers are required to display the same animation on their rig, it could highlight what they accomplished. The riggers won't have to use the same bones to transfer the animation to their rig.

In any case, this sounds exciting!

02 February 2012
Originally Posted by spazzmonkeys: I don't know about that. If the point of the challenge is good deformation and how to create a system that effectively deals with forearm twist and complex shoulder rotations, I could see packaging animation with the model being a good thing.

It can be a good mechanics test for the riggers. While riggers should be able to create their own calisthenics test, it wouldn't hurt to give them one. It could also add a bit of standardization and professionalism to the test. In much the same way that shader artists sometimes display their shaders on the same model, if all the riggers are required to display the same animation on their rig, it could highlight what they accomplished. The riggers won't have to use the same bones to transfer the animation to their rig.

In any case, this sounds exciting!

The reason why i think is uselless is because hardly a rigger will stick with those joint at the end . or even if he does it will be a great limitation.
And seriously i dont think we need same exact aniation to lifta an arm and so on . But just my opinion

02 February 2012
tough.

it wil be an FBX with set joints/model/anim it will be a deformation challenge, so you have to come up with a rigging solution to deal with how to solve out the deformation as elegantly as possible

any position changes will disqualify your rig, and not using the bones/anim will disqualify it as well.

Yes, this is a real world scenario too

will get something ready shortly. and honestly, anyone complaining about this, well you dont have to participate.

<.|.. My comments are not those of my employer(s)

02 February 2012
so the scenario...

initial rig has been done and finalled and APPROVED, so no more changes, PERIOD.

animation has been approved, but the supervisor wants some deformation improvements for this one shot. so its not up to YOU to improve the deformations and make it look nice...via deformers, new joints, whatever you want OUTSIDE OF THE FOLLOWING

you can not alter animation
you can not change or modify existing rig.

YOU CAN
add joints
change weighting
add deformers

02 February 2012
Hmm, interesting. I have not exactly modified an existing baked animation. This will be a challenge for me but I look forward to working on this!

02 February 2012
Can we play with custom deformer or tools ?

02 February 2012
Sounds like fun. I'll gladly participate. Thanks for agreeing to set this up twidup.

02 February 2012
it use to be that I wouldnt allow custom deformers as the goal was to provide an example that everyone can learn from. BUT, now, yeah, custom plugins/tools/deformers are ok, AS LONG AS you can explain EXACTLY what it is doing.

gonna get the model cut up as soon as I can and skinned and weighted and animated should be up by this weekend

02 February 2012
Can I join in as well, or is it too late now?

03 March 2012
Can i join ? i'm interesting to do

03 March 2012
am using Lightwave and Messiah Pro.

03 March 2012
The progress on this makes Glaciers look like Usain Bolt

03 March 2012
Originally Posted by pooby: The progress on this makes Glaciers look like Usain Bolt

I have been following this section for years . before then this one there was one about mecha rig and actually couple of models popped out but with no rules and such, the challenge never started

08 August 2012
Opens an eye. Yawns. turns over. shuts eye. Snores

08 August 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread