Eon (Trailer) Entry: David Markwick

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
Just saw your near complete final Way shot. Incredible work, the sense of scale is amazing. Looking forward to the final product.

12 December 2006
Nice rendering. Maybe you could add a cloud or two in the forground directly over head. You could also make the foreground more prominent by increasing the contrast. Have you tried to see what the chamber would look like with the cap in the shot since the chamber is wider than it is long? Perhaps that would push the otherworldly feeling even more. Good Luck.

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by RaresHalmagean: Nice rendering. Maybe you could add a cloud or two in the forground directly over head. You could also make the foreground more prominent by increasing the contrast. Have you tried to see what the chamber would look like with the cap in the shot since the chamber is wider than it is long? Perhaps that would push the otherworldly feeling even more. Good Luck.

Hi Rares, thanks for the feedback

Yes there will be clouds in the shot eventually, I plan to have a thunderstorm happening in the far distance on the left, and shafts of sun/tubelight on the far right. I figure that a lot of the book is about polar opposites so I'm trying to work as much of that as I can in. The foreground is actually the mediumground as I haven't put in the foreground yet, and that medium/background will all be distorted by heat haze on the lower third of the shot. (To further seperate from the characters in foreground and to suggest more distance.)

There is no cap in this chamber - it's the infinite 7th chamber that goes on forever, but I do have some vague ideas about showing some end caps in other parts of the trailer. I hope to have pushed the otherworldly feeling with the other preceeding shots, and have this shot as the final 7th chamber reveal.

I hope to have a more complete animation pretty soon

Last edited by DMarkwick : 12 December 2006 at 02:32 AM.

12 December 2006
Color timed and finished storyboards/footage/renders: Almost there...

Software: Shake

... as far as my final shot goes anyhow. A lot of compositional work and the logo is finally in the anim. Pretty pleased with it, although I wish I had time to do it again... seems a bit rushed to me.

Still need to do the first 10 or so seconds of this anim, and also there's some fluttering Cherry Blossom that didn't make it in yet (although you can see it in the still above).

Keep a look out for heat haze :) I'm not sure if it really works or not.

Play Video >>

Last edited by DMarkwick : 12 December 2006 at 04:25 AM.

12 December 2006
Wow! Very impressive work. Obviously a lot has gone into this. At first I thought the blossoms were snow (I thihk because the girl has such a heavy jacket on), but after reading your explanation in a previous post I think it's a really nice concept.

Looking good. Keep at it!

My Website :: My Sketchbook Thread :: EON Trailer Challenge

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by fifty3dragons: Wow! Very impressive work. Obviously a lot has gone into this. At first I thought the blossoms were snow (I thihk because the girl has such a heavy jacket on), but after reading your explanation in a previous post I think it's a really nice concept.

Looking good. Keep at it!

Yeah hopefully a layer of blowing Cherry Blossom leaves will help to clarify that a bit, it does look a little snowy there

Thanks for the comments

01 January 2007
looking good!! good luck on the final

-Eon Link-
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?postid=4109615

01 January 2007
DMarkwick the feeling of size you give in this shot is so amazing! We wonder how you managed to reproduce such an environment...you have a lot of parallax there, the camera movement seems to make a simple matte paint projection a little difficult to do, expeccially considering the trees! Are they cards...or are you really generating 3D trees?
If you could give us some hints on your technique that would be amazing! Thanks a lot in advance!

ThE-ShiFT

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by ThE-ShiFT: DMarkwick the feeling of size you give in this shot is so amazing! We wonder how you managed to reproduce such an environment...you have a lot of parallax there, the camera movement seems to make a simple matte paint projection a little difficult to do, expeccially considering the trees! Are they cards...or are you really generating 3D trees?
If you could give us some hints on your technique that would be amazing! Thanks a lot in advance!

ThE-ShiFT

Hi ThE-ShiFT thanks for the kind comments, particularly coming from a studio that is pushing out very high standards for this challenge.

The environment, of course, is layers as you might expect. The medium-ground (trees and canyon-type terrain) is done with Vue 5 Infinite, which uses a technology called Ecosystems to efficiently instance trees and bushes over landscapes. As far as I can tell they use instances of the same model, but each is resized and rotated to random degrees but you can add variety by adding more and fiddling with the distribution functions. The trees and bushes are made to only grow on flat areas in the same way. So to answer your question, yes they are 3D modeled trees but instances of a few models only.

The background is done in Lightwave, and despite looking like a matte painting is actually rendered in full 3D, as those far clouds are displaced inwards toward the center of the cylinder. I'm sure the 3D effect is imperceptible, but perhaps on a very subliminal level it adds to the scale Actually the far background took very little time to render, there's no shadow rendering going on there the cloud shadows are just diffuse textures copied from the cloud cylinder model. A cylinder scene of this nature becomes a nightmare to render when the shadow options are turned on as you might imagine

I very deliberately made lots of parallax in the medium-ground to more emphasise the scale of the far background, everyone knows how big trees are and it's an important visual cue for forming an idea to the overall scale.

The biggest scale giving device however turned out to be how it's composited in Shake, the background was rendered with very little atmosphere haze so I could get the distance, but it needed a graded blue wash over it to simulate the filtering out of the red end of the light spectrum. This same wash was applied to lesser degrees to the closer in terrains, and the whole medium and far layers were given a heat-haze, although I have doubts about it's effectiveness

Kindest regards

David Markwick

01 January 2007
Thanks a lot for your detailed description DMarkwick! And sorry for answering so late, reading and writintg in english sometime needs concentration and we are working hard, so pardon us.

Your technique is fantastic! We have to take a close look to that Vue 5 Infinite, though I'm pretty sure has to be played by expert hands to produce those results. Great Solution for your clouds...displacement is also one of our favourite techniques, and the diffuse textures copied for the shadows is a great trick!

Thanks again and good luck!!!

01 January 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread