Eon (Trailer) Entry: Wade White

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 28-30

PANEL 28: Close-up here on Vielgorsky to catch his reaction to the rifles being pointed at him with a turn of the head (either that or he's a two-headed hydra). I think it makes for a much more personal and exciting portrayal of this moment. It also gave me a neat way to shove a few more visuals into the trailer. At this point things are really moving along, and I donít think up-beat music works with static shots. In my thinking, the two (i.e. music and visuals) should complement one another.

PANEL 29: And a medium shot of Mirsky revealing his identity to finish off the sequence. The dialogue here is Patricia's question to Lanier outside the library about what's being done to prevent a war. Now the visuals here don't line up with that dialogue in terms of the actual story, but these are nevertheless shots of someone obviously taking care of business and in fact going to extreme measures to get the job done. I think that visually expresses the message in Lanier's words, "All that they can." Granted, their efforts in the novel are somewhat more diplomatic than this. But again, my own feeling is that as long as the visual aspect complements the dialogue, and as long as it doesn't distort the overall story (and by that I mean somehow misrepresent what the movie is more or less about), than I'm not bothered too much by the fact that I've extracted dialogue from one scene and meshed it together with the visual elements of another.

PANEL 30: Same as the rough boards. It's one of the longest held frames just to get all the dialogue in. I considered popping in another visual or even just a different angle about halfway through, but for now I'm going to leave it as is. To some extent this reiterates the war theme yet again, but it takes it further in that now we see Patricia is becoming more active in doing something about it. In some ways in the previous snippets she was more or less passive, but now she's taking an active role and seems primed to do more than just stand around. Hopefully that makes for a more compelling movie (and trailer).

My Website :: My Sketchbook Thread :: EON Trailer Challenge

10 October 2006
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 31-33

PANEL 31: This is where the shot of Mirsky kidnapping Vielgorsky used to be. Instead, I'm inserting a couple of frames of the subway and Patricia on the platform. There's no dialogue (although the dialogue from the previous shot is long and may leak over into it a bit), but the impression created (I hope) is that she's not in fact just going to wait around, but she's actually going to do something about it (because even though she can't stop the war, she doesn't give up hope of finding an alternative to getting back home and thus it remains true to the sentiment of the story, I think). Again, it portrays her as an active character, someone worth watching who makes her own decisions and is capable of taking matters into her own hands.

PANEL 32: Continued from previous. Narrows the focus to Patricia's look of determination. The actual shot would come from either her attempt to get to the library when the invasion begins, or from her initial introduction to the subway.

PANEL 33: I think I mentioned this before, but this was pretty much the first image that came into my head as a shot that would definitely be included in the trailer, no questions asked. I'm still not sure I'm going to be able to get the angle I want on it, so I'll probably have to play around a bit more and see what works best. But this conveys the overall feeling of what I'm going for. The dialogue here reveals something of what she intends to attempt. This possible gives away a little too much. It's the one piece of text that I've had any concern about in editing the boards. The concept of alternate universes comes early when they discuss the origins of the Stone, but Patricia's idea about opening her own gate is considerably later. I'm leaving it in for now because I think it has the flow for the trailer, but I'll definitely be coming back to it again before the final edit.

10 October 2006
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 34-36

PANEL 34: I decided to insert a shot of the Frant here to emphasize visually the idea of an alternate universe as spoken in the dialogue (from the previous shot), though I think I need to come up with something more visually interesting.

PANEL 35: Same as rough storyboards. I like the idea of this shot, but I haven't decided on the angle yet. It's fairly low key in terms of action, so a dynamic angle might be nice. I'm hoping that the dialogue and visual combine to portray the idea that Patricia is seeking help in her search.

PANEL 36: Same as rough boards, except that I clipped one second off as it was running a bit on the long side. This is another shot where I decided to make sure I had the visual actually match with the dialogue that's spoken. I chose this particular bit of dialogue because I think it follows up well on the previous bits about an alternate universe and finding home. Where those suggest she's headed off to find a solution to her problems, this indicates that perhaps she encounter some trouble and not all is yet well. Just to keep the tension up there.

10 October 2006
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 37-39

PANEL 37: From here on out (actually, from a couple of panels back to be quite accurate) I haven't changed anything really. This one is another shot that came to me fairly early on when I was brainstorming ideas for the trailer. It takes off from what Lanier has just hinted at, i.e. that Patricia might still be in some sort of trouble, and shows her in a situation that looks pretty crazy.

PANEL 38: Narrows the focus directly on Patricia and really magnifies the difficulty she's having. This is just about at the end, and I want the circumstances to look pretty dire.

PANEL 39: Good old Mirsky. I really like this way of ending it. His dialogue here, while having nothing to do with Patricia in terms of the actual novel, really helps seal the deal. And I'm satisfied that it remains faithful to the overall storyline in tone because they do in fact go looking for Patricia after she disappears. Coming at this point in the trailer, with the build up to her running off on her own and having some apparent difficulties, I think it does a nice job of pulling everything together and suggesting that there's some real struggle going on in this story, that emotions are running high and that the tension is thick. Not a bad note to end a trailer on, I think.

10 October 2006
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 40-41

PANEL 40: The logo I came up with. I've been thinking of different ways to animate it, should I ever get that far in the process. Figured I might as well stick it in here now, though, and get some mileage out of it.

PANEL 41: And, of course, no trailer would be complete without the tantalizing suggestion that this action packed flick is nearly in theatres.

10 October 2006
Whew, well that was a job and a half getting all those uploaded.

I wish Iíd had a little more time to work on the edited boards (and make them prettier) but I set myself the deadline of finishing them by the end of this month, and that would be today. I could probably spend the whole challenge just trying to make the boards look better, but I really do want to get to at least some of the animation part, so I'm sticking to my deadlines.

I'm happier with some panels then others, naturally. Mirsky looks a little bit like a screaming school girl in that third to last panel. On the other hand, though, I redid Panels 13-16 just this morning and they came out much better than I'd originally done. But there's definitely a heavy cubism influence going on in many of the other panels. Oh well.

Anyway, on to the scratch track and animatic!

10 October 2006
Jeez mate I thought I was mad. 41 panels is insane! Even in 2D thats a hell of a lot of work. I don't know how I managed to miss your thread, must have been on the first page when I'm usually in bed. (which should be now it's 4:28 am here). Do you plan on editiong some of the panels out or are you going to go for the big finish? Well good luck with it.

10 October 2006
Tenacious -- well, insanity should never be entirely ruled out.

My plan is to finish as much as I can. Since they're accepting storyboard animatics, I'll simply start plugging in finished stuff as I get it done and submit it for the final in whatever state it's in. I threw it all together in a rough animatic this morning, and I can already see that one or two panels may have to go in certain places just to make it work. We'll see.

But yeah, it's going to be a ton of work. All part of the fun, right?

11 November 2006
ooh ooh can we see the animatic?

11 November 2006
Yeah, let us see the animatic

11 November 2006
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Edited Storyboards Animatic with Rough Musical Score

Software: Photoshop

When I first read the book, I had the sense of this real epic sort of film, with full orchestra and huge, scenic shots. I could very much see it alongside flicks such as 2001. Having acknowledged that first impression, however, it will become obvious that I went in a slightly different direction, at least in terms of the music. I just came up with something that I really liked for the score, and so I'm taking the "no guts, no glory" route and going with my instinct.

So here then is the rough cut. I'm sticking it still under the edited storyboards milestone since I haven't done the scratch track or the SFX quite yet. I can see already that a few adjustments will have to be made in terms of time and perhaps a few shots cut or otherwise rearranged. But it's still a good idea of my overall vision.

I used the Board-O-Matic plugin in Mirage to actually draw the storyboards. And I actually put the animatic together using Windows Movie Maker (real high tech, eh?). I'm waiting to get my hands on Adobe Premiere. Music was done in ACID.

Play Video >>

EDIT -- hmmm. I see that the playback seems kind of choppy. I have the demo version of Adobe Preimiere. Anyone have suggestions for better settings and compression for smooth playback?

Last edited by fifty3dragons : 11 November 2006 at 06:13 PM.

11 November 2006
Not bad at all, considering this early stadium. Maybe the music mood should become darker to the end? Just a thought....

11 November 2006
Cool

impressive planing work! wow. cant wait to see ya realizing this all keep on rockig! best of luck!

11 November 2006
Galaktor - Yeah, I agree that moody, darker music would probably give it that more epic feel. There's still time to tweak things a bit, so I'll keep it in mind.

TheFirstAngel - Thanks! It's definitely going to be a challenge. November's going to be a slower month in terms of production for me, but it'll be all out once December hits until the end.

Last edited by fifty3dragons : 11 November 2006 at 05:07 AM.

11 November 2006
Scratch Voice track and/or initial footage: Scratch Voice Track (Over Edited Storyboards)

Software: Photoshop

So here's my scratch voice track. The audio is definitely uneven at this point, and several pieces of dialogue are difficult to hear. But it's better than it was (believe it or not), and I was even able to eliminate *some* of the background noise/static from the original recordings. For the final recordings I plan on using better equipment and a much quieter room (and different voices for each separate part).

I also think I've mostly solved my compression issues. A day with Adobe Premiere and a few tutorials helped a lot. Also in Tomasz Jedruszek's trailer thread his description of how he put together his animatic (e.g. uncompressed, anticipated size, etc) gave me some ideas to try (thanks Tomasz!). His thread/comments can be found here.

Software used: Mirage for the storyboards, Windows Sound Recorder for the voice overs (better software is on order), Adobe Premiere for the animatic.

The image file posted here (done in Phtotshop) is just a little concept art I worked on this afternoon of the shuttle approach from the first part of the trailer. The concept is based somewhat (mostly general shape) from some photos of an experimental craft the USA is apparently considering for their next generation shuttles.

Once I get some sound effects going, I'll post the music and SFX milestone (hopefully with some actual animation with it for at least one or two scenes).

Play Video >>

Thread Closed share thread