Eon (Trailer) Entry: Wade White

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #16
Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 22-24

Here, on the other hand, I can well imagine another board or two squeezing in someplace. I envision a fairly fast pace at this point, and I want to convey that visually. The two panels with soldiers running by help in that regard (I think), but there could maybe be one or two more.

My Website :: My Sketchbook Thread :: EON Trailer Challenge

Old 10 October 2006   #17
Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 25-27

Panel 26 here was one of the first pictures that popped into my head as a possible scene for the trailer when I was reading through the book. And it has remained more or less untouched or unaltered from that point until I did the boards. My sketch here doesn't do it justice, but it does convey the idea. I just hope I can pull it off the way I want to in the final version.

I like the panel of Mirsky and Vielgorsky too. Not sure why. Just do.

Old 10 October 2006   #18
Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 28-30

From this point on things are fairly locked in. I like the end sequence, and this came to me quite early on as well.

Old 10 October 2006   #19
Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 31-33

And that, as they say, is that. Again, I like the scene of Mirsky here. The tempo hits its hard point with that panel, then shuts right down to just a bass for the last two.

The final two panels zing by really fast, which I'm not happy about, but I didn't want to give up any more space than that.

Old 10 October 2006   #20
your plan sounds great. it looks like a real epic!

Old 10 October 2006   #21
looks like you've already put a lot of tought in this one, not bad at all. Maybe you're telling just a tad too much about the story in the end tough, but this is only my humble opinion.

cheers,

foane

Old 10 October 2006   #22
mitchelhunt - Thanks. I think the story (i.e. the novel itself) has that epic feel to it. Although, oddly enough, the music I'm going with is less of the orchestral kind which I associate with that sort of movie and more of a modern, upbeat, rock, etc, type of thing. Ah well

foane - Good point. I've gone back and forth on how much to reveal, and I expect I'm not done yet wrestling with it. I decided against actually showing whether or not a war takes place because I believe that's the turning point in the story, i.e. up to that point Patricia's job is to see if there's any way they can stop the war from happening. After the war takes place, her goal changes to finding an Earth where it simply doesn't happen. So I didn't show that because I figured it was too key to the plot and I dislike trailers that give it all away.

On the other hand, my reasons behind including the reference to the Stone being from the future and a possible war taking place were because those are all things that--in both the novel and the story as I would tell it in movie form--get revealed in what more or less constitutes the first act (certinly for a movie, and in the first 100 or so pages for the book, which is only the first fifth; plus it's in the bulrb on the back cover ). So anyway, that was the reasoning behind my choices, but I'll definitely continue to think about it when I move on to the next step, the edited storyboards.

Thanks for the critique!

Old 10 October 2006   #23
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Pre-visual - Axis City

Just a little pre-vis on Axis City for one of my shots. I was having trouble with the perspective, so moved over to 3D for some assistance.

A comparison with the storyboard panel for this shot shows considerable change in design. The spoked wheeled concept was simply what formed in my head when I read the book. When I went back to reread the actual descriptions, though, I realized I was quite a bit off. Not that one has to be a slave to the novel, of course, but I kind of like the redesign and so will likely stick with it.

Done in LightWave 3D[8].

Old 10 October 2006   #24
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Pre-visual - Axis City

Another shot of the city, this time more from the angle as I picture the scene in my head. I've realized in the process of doing this little 3D mock-up that my idea for the shot isn't going to work quite the way I wanted to. I wanted to have the V/STOL came flying in towards the city riding the singularity, but the dimensions of the city make it impossible to get the city in 3/4 view and still have the camera on the ship. If I go right to the ship, all I get is pretty much a head on view of the city, and the "propellers" at the back is about all you can see. I would have to break perspective in order to pull it off the way I want to, which is fine except I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

Old 10 October 2006   #25
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: EON Logo

I tried various logos with star fields and whatnot, then decided to try the simple and (hopefully) elegant route. This (or some variation thereof) comes in as the second last panel in my storyboards.

I may try to animate the line shooting across from left to right and circling the "O" as it goes, but I only have two seconds allocated for it in the trailer and I'm not sure that's enough time to have that sort of thing read correctly. But I'll give it a try at some point and see. I may also go with a different font, though this one was my favourite so far.

Done in Photoshop 7.0. For the line glow I followed a tutorial by Ryan Wieber for making lightsabers glow which can be found at: http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/po...ertutorials.asp

Last edited by fifty3dragons : 10 October 2006 at 02:40 PM.

Old 10 October 2006   #26
keep on

like your storyline! I am waiting for the deatiled concepts and storyboard!
keep on!

mark

Old 10 October 2006   #27
mark - thanks! I'm doodling around with some character design stuff, and I've started working on the edited storyboards. I put together an animatic based on the rough storyboards and quickly discovered that my timing is off on the front half. I may post it anyway once I figure out how. I'm hoping to post the edited boards by the end of the month, but we'll see as I also have an article to write for November.

Old 10 October 2006   #28
Trailer vs. Teaser, good point! Considering the size of the book. I guess to make a trailer we'll need a few jump cuts like your shuttle to library cut. I also am considering some live video of real people. Great! You've got a course already!

Last edited by userBrian : 10 October 2006 at 05:28 AM.

Old 10 October 2006   #29
userBrian - Glad it was helpful. That's just my take on it, of course, and I'm sure the lines blur between the two to some extent. But I personally always considered a teaser just something to wet the appetite with no real laying out of what the story involves (like the initial teaser for The Da Vinci Code or T2 and maybe even Clerks 2, although that one's pushing it for me). Having said that, on another level categories probably don't mean a whole lot since whenever someone draws a line in the sand, someone else will inevitably cross it. And most "teasers" I see nowadays look more and more like what I described as a trailer anyway, so what do I know?

Yeah, there'll be a number of jump cuts, especially throughout the second half. The first half is mostly slow fade in an out between text an shots of the shuttle, but then it takes off. I actually sat dwon and "studied" a number of trailers and realized I could probably have twice as many shots in the second half and still be fine, and also that the text could probably flash by a little quicker. It means a lot more drawing (since every frame is yet another background to do), so I'm wary of the time frame, but in terms of pacing and how trailers seem to be put together these days I think a person can get away with a lot more speed and more shots than I initially had thought.

Old 10 October 2006   #30
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Concept Art - Second Chamber Library

I sketched out some concepts for the second chamber library for one of my shots. Not sure I'm entirely happy with the result, though. I think it needs a more futuristic take.

Thread Closed share thread